Exhausted 2010 Edition.

spiffy

Forum Probie
Okay... I'm only a student... and a new one at that. There are so many things going on in my life already being a single full time mom of two kids plus having to work full time and still finding time to study. I know it's probably only going to get worse til school is finished and I find an EMT job. Anyone have any suggestions on how to juggle everything and still have this thing that people call sleep? I've already given up on having this other thing people call a social life but I'd like to be able to still have time to spend with the kids without being completely drained by the time I first wake up.

VinBin

Forum Captain
I'm assuming you're taking the EMT-B course? It must be hard, especially with kids. The short answer is that you don't try to juggle more than work, school, and kids. In other words, eat right (a big trap for those starting EMS is to live on junk) and don't worry about your social life for now. Your profile says you work in front office at the hotel, can you fit in some studying during work?

In either case, just suck it up for the 3 or so months the program will take and don't lose focus...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe not so encouraging, but...

You know, MMIZ, I think if you got an honest poll (I'd start one but choose to remain ignorant of how to do it) you'd find most medics ride the adrenaline roller-coaster.

The business is unpredictable, therefore it takes a lot of discipline to protect your energy and sanity. My experience is most medics simply do not have that kind of discipline. They expend everything they have during shifts (often because it calls upon them to do so), and then COMPENSATE rather than BALANCE: zone out; drink out; sleep; drug (usually minor recreational); video; crash; or you name it.

Everyone is AWARE of all those little tools to get yourself re-vitalized and re-humanized, but use of them is typically sporadic, and mostly only after the other behaviors have wreaked some damage. Remember, most medics are young and assume they'll live forever, even while tending the dying.

I'm looking forward to others' take on this.

I'd recommend you to spend a little time examining what specific area of your life is getting most drained. For example, many get enough sleep but lose ground in their relationships. That gives you a direction, and a priority to include others rather than withdraw in to your cave to recharge. Another area could be finding a good sounding board to review stuff that hits you on other-than technical areas, like moral, or spiritual challenges. My point is each of us has individual sensitivities that are exacerbated by the profession, and it's important to tend to them, rather than bury them.

OP
OP
S

spiffy

Forum Probie
yeah, I'm taking the B course and then moving onto paramedic once I get some job experience for at least 6 months.

I am able usually to study at work luckily. Thanks though, I appreciate the advice. Does it get any better once your on the job or does the exhausted feeling continue?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
yeah, I'm taking the B course and then moving onto paramedic once I get some job experience for at least 6 months.

I am able usually to study at work luckily. Thanks though, I appreciate the advice. Does it get any better once your on the job or does the exhausted feeling continue?

Im my opinion that will depend on a multitude of variables. Your work environment, call volume, crewmates, etc. For me, I was doing college courses, the basic class and trying to run a small farm at the same time. So for me, when class was over, working the amb was a releif. But in my case, we have a very low call volume, a hyper nice facility, and awsome crews, so it was a great environment. Also a major part is what you make of it. If you get up every morning dreading getting going because of work, it will wear on you. But if you get up ready to grab hold of the day and direct the day as opposed to hanging on for the ride, you will feel much better.

Joke about stress to............or something like that.:p

I have also found that drinking lots of water helps me have energy during the day. They say you should drink half your body weight in oz every day, but I often drink much more than that. (Just make sure you watch your electrolyte intake with that much water. I drink weak Gatoraid when I am on and it helps alot.) Also keep your mind active during breaks, shifts, in between studying, etc. For me, mindless stuff drains me. Breaks are good, yes, but sitting in front of the xbox for two hours is not. But don't just keep going on EMS stuff during a break from class. Think on something different.

Ok, I am just rambling on now, so I'll leave it at that.

Good luck and keep you goals in your sights.

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
Okay... I'm only a student... and a new one at that. There are so many things going on in my life already being a single full time mom of two kids plus having to work full time and still finding time to study. I know it's probably only going to get worse til school is finished and I find an EMT job. Anyone have any suggestions on how to juggle everything and still have this thing that people call sleep? I've already given up on having this other thing people call a social life but I'd like to be able to still have time to spend with the kids without being completely drained by the time I first wake up.

May i offer just a general moms point of view when it comes to a social life. I wouldnt get rid of it completly. There are lots of things you can do and still have time for you. Like going out and meeting other moms with kids around the same age as yours. Get together for playgroups. Or Look around at your local churchs and sign the kids up for activitys there. I am not saying leave them there by themselvs but spending a half hour to an hour sitting in the car reading or something while they are in the activity can revive you a lot or at least it does me.