epi pens

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
When the body experiences a severe allergic reaction or anaphylaxis the bronchioles constrict causing dyspnea and s.o.b. yes but the peripheral vascular system especially dilates causing a drop in pressure (if anything). When epi is administered it constricts the blood vessels and increases the contractile force of the heart and blood pressure.

I guess I got confused about it. But with the swelling occuring I guess it could still cause some constriction.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I recently found one of our many little hidden "kits"

Someon had an IV start kit in a tackle box. The scarey news was that there was an epipen in it. The stupid scarey news: it was the inert trainer they include in every set we get.
Oh, excremento!:excl:

Last edited by a moderator:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
In Wisconsin, our epi-pen cert is for two years. I assume you are referring to the "training" to administer? This certification is actually at our First Responder level and up from there. As FR, we need to achieve medical direction OK's to "assist" with the epi-pen, with a prescription being the most important issue. Don't know if that helps your inquiry.....

I know you posted a while ago but the last half of your post is determined by local protocols. I'm in the fox cities by lake winnebago and prescription isn't a make or break thing for our FR's to administer it as many people don't know they have a particular allergy until we're called. Epi pens and combitubes are the same for FR's it's an optional cert and my protocols make us train on them yearly but I don't know the state standards. Both combi's and epi are optional to carry in our bags but we must keep our certs up and at least 50% of the squad must have them if anyone has them.

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
Yep...

Ironic that common laymen can administer, but an EMT would have to go through a special course? Sounds, like bureaucracy at its finest!

R/r 911

couldnt have said that better myself. i had to go throught the cert. for my PT gig. and PA is so screwy to begin with. the cert. isnt hard, just redundant info. but, at least now i can jack somebody up if needs be. lol

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Originally Posted by Ridryder911
Ironic that common laymen can administer, but an EMT would have to go through a special course? Sounds, like bureaucracy at its finest!

There is a difference. That "layman" may have lived or have learned how to LIVE with the allergy all of their life so that trumps an hour of EMT-B training.

couldnt have said that better myself. i had to go throught the cert. for my PT gig. and PA is so screwy to begin with. the cert. isnt hard, just redundant info. but, at least now i can jack somebody up if needs be. lol

Jack somebody up? Is that medical terminology of some type? I hope you don't say that around healthcare professionals while wearing an EMT patch.

mikie

Forum Lurker
So do you (no one specifically) believe BLS providers should be able to have EpiPens on their rig (not just patient Rx'd)?

Personally, I say yes. What if, upon your arrival, you find the patient is unconscious or is having too much difficulty explaining where his Pen could be (maybe you're in his/her house and it's not in their pocket or near by)?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
So do you (no one specifically) believe BLS providers should be able to have EpiPens on their rig (not just patient Rx'd)?

I have a couple of earlier posts on this thread that state my position. Yes, I do believe they should be available for EMT-Bs. However, it should not be taken lightly nor should one use the argument "they're doing it why can't we". Differences in initial training, company training, medical oversight and refresher courses are just a few reasons that set companies, counties and states apart in EMS. If one is only doing the refresher because their state makes them and then whines about it, I wonder how commited to quality patient care they are if they don't understand the need for periodic refreshing and testing. I think the Fire Medics in Naples, FL realized that to late but still has to whine "It ain't fair".

I also dislike the excuse "the patient can do their own Epi-Pen or Glucose monitoring, why can't we? It ain't fair". I'm sure if the patient had a choice they would rather not know what allergies or diabetes is nor did they choose being dependent on needle sticks to survive. These patients would probably say "It ain't fair" they have these problems but know what they must do and don't whine about learning a new prescription or piece of technology to improve their quality of life.

To be a medical professional, YOU are the one who should want to stay on top of your skills and knowledge. The state shouldn't haven't to make you be a professional if this is your chosen line of work. It is just like any education. You can take only what is required of you or you can take extra classes and be better prepared for patient care and the working world.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Our state, through the Kristine Kastner act has to have both adult and jr. epi-pens on board. Kristine died from a reaction to peanuts. Her attorney parents lived next door to a state legislator and this law was passed in record time.

As intially written, the law mandated all EMT-s to carry these on their person when responding to calls. It was then modified to be just available on the rigs.

Personally I think its mandated presence has caused it to be over-used. But I'm sure the manufacturer and their stock holders are not complaining.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Our state, through the Kristine Kastner act has to have both adult and jr. epi-pens on board. Kristine died from a reaction to peanuts. Her attorney parents lived next door to a state legislator and this law was passed in record time.

As intially written, the law mandated all EMT-s to carry these on their person when responding to calls. It was then modified to be just available on the rigs.

Personally I think its mandated presence has caused it to be over-used. But I'm sure the manufacturer and their stock holders are not complaining.

That's an interesting point, I didn't think about the different doses, I believe we only carry the 'adult,' .3mg I think? What is the dose for peds? What could happen if you used the 'adult' on a peds?

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
Jack somebody up? Is that medical terminology of some type? I hope you don't say that around healthcare professionals while wearing an EMT patch.

im sorry.....i will never use slang on a forum around my peers ever again. but to answer your question, no, i do not talk like that in my PCRs and when im giving reports.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
im sorry.....i will never use slang on a forum around my peers ever again. but to answer your question, no, i do not talk like that in my PCRs and when im giving reports.

It is a public forum and occasionally these posts pop up in search engines for all to view. If you use slang too much it eventually becomes habit and then it will may be a slip of the tongue when you don't need it to be. Even in the hospital we can no longer call our CABG patients "cabbages" since it can be misunderstood by others.

Considering I am from a large city with lots of gang activity, I am always cautious when someone says they are going to "jack someone up". Depending on their ethnic orgin and native language, it can have several meanings.

On another forum, a few people just got informed what a "chicken hawk" is on the street.

daimere

Forum Crew Member
It is not the adminstration that concerns me. A monkey could administer an Epipen with ease, it is majority of cases it was never warranted. Rather than true anaphylaxis many confuse the symptoms of reactions as the same. In those cases Benadryl (which is OTC) or Pepcid, Zantac, etc. H2 blockers work as well and are safer (when administered properly)

I work at a daycare and we don't have to have any cert. A parent actually gave us benedryl instead of an epi-pen since we'd have no access to the school's epi-pen.

Also, in my EMT class, we're being told in a lot of places in this state tend not to have epi-pens but have to draw out epi ourselves.

mikie

Forum Lurker
From what I recall from another states protocols for the contraindications were none. If you suspected anaphaltic schock, it warrented epi.

With such a low dose, what would happen if you 'pen-ed' your self? *honest question)

Tachycardia? Tremors? Nausea?

Life threatening?