Entry Level Seperation and becoming an EMT

crayola2

Forum Ride Along
I enlisted into the Air Force when i was 19 and long story short i received an entry level separation with a re entry code 2C separation code JFY narrative reason adjustment disorder. I won't make excuses for why i got kicked out basically i wasn't ready for military lifestyle mentally. I was in the best shape of my life and was #2 in my flight in PT scores but being away from home for the first time and just the atmosphere caused me to have anxiety. Since then i grew up tremendously i had actual life experiences to help me mature.

I want to become an emt because i want to make an actual difference in my community and help save lives, but my question is will my past experience hold me back from gaining employment? I'm willing to do anything it takes to become an emt and eventually a paramedic. If i have to volunteer for a year i would do it.

Or do you think the obstacle is to great overcome and consider becoming a RN?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No, you will have no problems. Both HotelCo and myself got ELS from the Marine Corps due to injuries sustained, and we're both employed Paramedics.

I do know some police departments wont hire anyone that's been in without an honorable discharge, meaning even an ELS wont count, but most view ELS as it is: A non-charcatization that is essentially equilivant to an honorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

crayola2

Forum Ride Along
No, you will have no problems. Both HotelCo and myself got ELS from the Marine Corps due to injuries sustained, and we're both employed Paramedics.

Thanks so much for answering so quickly, I was very concerned about this. As far as the process goes for becoming an EMT is anything you would recommend that i do while gaining my EMT-basic certificate? Or really anything in general that will improve my chances of finding employment after i become certified?
Thanks
Matt

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Depends on your state, as some just are not EMT friendly.

Likelihood of getting employment at all, let alone fast, is minimal at the EMT level. Continue on for your Paramedic for a much better chance.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Getting employment as an EMT in a large metro area is going to be difficult no matter where your at

OP
OP
C

crayola2

Forum Ride Along
Depends on your state, as some just are not EMT friendly.

Likelihood of getting employment at all, let alone fast, is minimal at the EMT level. Continue on for your Paramedic for a much better chance.

Thanks so much for your help, and your time.