EMT's in the ER

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
More & more these days, you find EMT's working in the emergency departments. It's becoming very common, I was even considering it as a part time gig, any suggestions? Just wondering what everyone's opinion was on this...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We have several techs on this forum, and I floated to ED on a regular basis while I worked at a hospital. I loved it. Great job and the pay is good too

medic417

The Truth Provider
Depends. Are you willing to just be a nurses aid, a gopher, a maid? That is about what an EMT will be allowed to do.

Now at Paramedic level I have seen hospitals have Paramedics that work and start care on patients much if they were in the ambulance. Then once a doctor arrives and gives orders an RN takes over while Paramedic starts work on the next patient.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Best job I ever had as a medic was in a hospital. Pay was really great too.

Even if an ED is not what you want to do, it is definately worth the time. You will learn exponentially more in a short amount of time than working in EMS. You will also become very familiar with the process after a pt is dropped off, which allows those who go back to a truck to make better decisions with care.

About the only down side I can see is that you might get pressured into another profession like nursing or medicine, but is it really that bad?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Depends. Are you willing to just be a nurses aid, a gopher, a maid? That is about what an EMT will be allowed to do.

Now at Paramedic level I have seen hospitals have Paramedics that work and start care on patients much if they were in the ambulance. Then once a doctor arrives and gives orders an RN takes over while Paramedic starts work on the next patient.

I functioned as essentially a phlebotomist while working in the ED as well. I took the EDs own class before I was an Intermediate and was doing lines and lab draws.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Steph,

I know HCA Cleburne is looking for techs, along with Childrens in Dallas and JPS in Ft Worth. Cooks is too, but they only take Paramedic techs.

Also I just looked and Huguley here in Burleson is taking EMT techs too, and are hiring.

OP
OP
Stephanie.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Steph,

I know HCA Cleburne is looking for techs, along with Childrens in Dallas and JPS in Ft Worth. Cooks is too, but they only take Paramedic techs.

Also I just looked and Huguley here in Burleson is taking EMT techs too, and are hiring.

HCA? Is that Walls off of 67? I am looking into them. Thanks! :)
I knew several medics back home that did it, but don't hardly know anyone here. I am looking to learn and if the ER is the place to go, then that's where I'll be!;)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I just checked their site again and I lied. Cleburne wants a Paramedic PRN for their ED. They aren't taking EMT/CNA/MA.

But Huguley is still looking for EMT techs.

OP
OP
Stephanie.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I just checked their site again and I lied. Cleburne wants a Paramedic PRN for their ED. They aren't taking EMT/CNA/MA.

But Huguley is still looking for EMT techs.

I am applying online as we speak/type/chat... you choose. lol

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I think EMT basics that work as ER techs do a fair amount more than they can in the field, including starting IV's. You work under an MD's license so you have an expanded scope of practice. I'd love to do it but none of the ED's near me use them, either paramedics or basics.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I think EMT basics that work as ER techs do a fair amount more than they can in the field, including starting IV's. You work under an MD's license so you have an expanded scope of practice. I'd love to do it but none of the ED's near me use them, either paramedics or basics.

Where in the US does an EMT / Medic NOT work under a physicians license doing advanced medical procedures?