EMT's checking BS

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Never occurred to me that they couldn't check glucose. Up here the EMTs (PCPs as we call them) start IVs, defib, blood glucose, starting a 12-lead cath lab trial, give neb ventolin, ASA, narcan, D10W, glucagon, nitro (if previously prescribed), epi for anaphylaxis. For a hypoglycemic pt they will determine low sugar and likely cancel ALS, administer D10W and transport themselves.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Never occurred to me that they couldn't check glucose. Up here the EMTs (PCPs as we call them) start IVs, defib, blood glucose, starting a 12-lead cath lab trial, give neb ventolin, ASA, narcan, D10W, glucagon, nitro (if previously prescribed), epi for anaphylaxis. For a hypoglycemic pt they will determine low sugar and likely cancel ALS, administer D10W and transport themselves.

But they actually are educated up there. Not so here

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

The EMT basic in the US is similar to the EMR up here.

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
The EMT basic in the US is similar to the EMR up here.

Ah, that makes sense then. We do have EMRs in smaller communities but the majority are PCP. It's been a big change. When I started our scope was about the same as what's been discussed here for EMTs.