Emt Students

Hepinghand

Forum Probie
I have a question?My question is can a emt student give a report to a medic on the condition of a pt.? or does the student need to have the cert before doing this?The reason I am asking this because it has happened to me several times.I know the student means well but I donnot want to lose my cert because of a student doing something the are not suppose to.I worked hard for my cert I want to keep it and not lose it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Why wouldn't the student be "allowed" to give a report to the medic? If you're an EMT that's training an EMT student, it's not only appropriate, it's expected that the student be able to communicate patient info to ALS.

OP
OP
H

Hepinghand

Forum Probie
I was not sure that is why i asked the question.When i have a gut feeling of something i rather ask then then to let it go.:)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Students should absolutely be encouraged to give a verbal report to arriving medics. Your role as the "supervising" EMT is to make sure that the student's report includes all the important information, and that you correct as appropriate.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just some perspective on teaching.

If you are overseeing students, a few things (by no means comprehensive) make it a better experience for all involved.

1. There should be predefined learning objectives written out and distributed to both preceptors and students before hand.

2. Instructors should be given very clear directives on what is and isn't permitted.

3. preceptors should be at least familiar if not proficent with the national and local curriculum.

4. instructors/preceptors should be given prior instruction on how to be a preceptor.

5. students should receive instruction on what is and isn't appropriate things for them to be doing.

6. a formal and objective review process to make sure students and instructors are properly evaluated and corrected should be in place.

Ideally all preceptors should be instructors, but i know that is often wishful thinking.

Nobody should be guessing what should happen or be covered when a student is riding. That is a sign of an extremely poor program.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I take a report from anyone who precedes me on scene, who has something of value to share, and who can do that in about 15 seconds.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have a question?My question is can a emt student give a report to a medic on the condition of a pt.? or does the student need to have the cert before doing this?The reason I am asking this because it has happened to me several times.I know the student means well but I donnot want to lose my cert because of a student doing something the are not suppose to.I worked hard for my cert I want to keep it and not lose it.

In most places a student can do anything that someone licensed can, provided that there is a supervising/precepting provider along with them. The only exception to this might if the student has not yet been taught an intervention, or said intervention requires a waiver/medical director sign off.

How else will the student learn to give reports if they can't practice them...this is kind of the point of clinicals, no?

Also does your agency provide any sort of training or set of expectations for preceptors?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Encourage students to make thorough reports to you; do not settle for less than thorough.
Help them where they need help.
Let them know when they're being blind, to what and how to fix it.
Encourage them to become excellent communicators.

...and then, make your own decisions.