EMT questions

MeganBrooke

Forum Ride Along
I am a 17 year old high school student who has the option to attend the WATC program at UAFS. I've narrowed my options down to the two career pathways I think I would be most interested in. An EMT being one of them. I do not know much about the salaries or pay of an EMT, and I have a daughter to support as well, so what I would really like to know how much an EMT could make and if there are benefits that come with being an EMT. All -CIVIL- answers will be accepted!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
EMS is not lucrative if that's what you're looking for. As an EMT (and likely a paramedic), you will be working two or more jobs, or as much OT that you can get your hands on.

JPINFV

Gadfly
$10-15/hr basically, depending on location. Benefits? What benefits at most places.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
ANd little consideration for your family life. ANd short career span due to stressors and potential for back injury.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Moved to the Employment section...

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Because I really don't care if people know what I make, let's put it this way. With working a good amount of overtime, including pay periods with 120 hours(which is 3 weeks worth of 40 hours in 2 weeks), and claiming single 0 on my taxes with a wife and daughter of my own, I made a little above $27,000 last year after taxes with about 10,000 dollars worth of taxes taken out. I have close to 2 years at my company and I'm a NRAEMT and Georgia Advanced EMT.

In short, it's do-able, but it's not a great way to make a living unless you go Paramedic and even then it depends on where you work.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, becoming and EMT is not an awful idea. The school is short and very easy if you are willing to put in a little time. The "exciting" jobs are not always easy to come by at first, but working for a private company pays better than many entry level jobs and some jobs in hospitals pay halfway decent.

It may be a good start for you while you plan your next move. If you want to stay in medicine, I would personally suggest Nursing over becoming a Paramedic.

Best of luck.

pcbguy

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
The pay largely depends on where you work. As an EMT Basic I made $50k-$55k as a paramedic it was $60k-$65k. We had a few making over $70k but they had been there a while. We were hospital based but we have an ALS fire dept here that pays the same. I know some of the fire dept down south FL pay well.

Then there is always contracting after you get a few years experience. As a Basic you can make in the neighborhood of $90k and as a medic you are looking at $100k-$170k. Obviously this depends on where you contract and experience.

Welcome!!

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
The pay largely depends on where you work. As an EMT Basic I made $50k-$55k as a paramedic it was $60k-$65k. We had a few making over $70k but they had been there a while. We were hospital based but we have an ALS fire dept here that pays the same. I know some of the fire dept down south FL pay well.

Then there is always contracting after you get a few years experience. As a Basic you can make in the neighborhood of $90k and as a medic you are looking at $100k-$170k. Obviously this depends on where you contract and experience.

Welcome!!

What state/area are you in? That's some pretty good pay.