EMT Practical fail questions. Massachusetts

jesse24b

Forum Crew Member
I took my prac today and I somehow failed my CPR portion. So i retested again and since I really have no idea how i failed my first round I did the same things, I even looked at the steps after. I'm sure i did everyone of them. They're all drilled in my head. So I retested with my partner and I feel like I skipped a cycle. Instead of five I might have done four. Were both not sure..... Its not listed as a critical fail but it also seems to me it would be a critcal fail. Anyways i'm going to have to wait that ungoldy amount of time before i know for sure if i did fail or pass. Yet if i did fail do i just have to re do the CPR station or the all of the stations. This would be my "second re test".

Mariemt

Forum Captain
I believe you have to redo all the stations.

Each thing you do wrong has so many points so whether a critical fail it not it may not add up enough to pass.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Its possible they failed you because you were doing poor compressions or not doing a good job of bagging the patient. I've seen a couple students in the ER get on compressions, and get kicked off fairly quickly because they weren't doing a good job. You gotta do it like you mean it, not just go through the motions.

It could have had nothing to do with whether you did the proper ratio or the right number of sets or whatever, and more to do with the instructor not getting a warm fuzzy feeling watching you do CPR, so they found a reason to fail you.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
You only have to redo the one station. I failed one and that was the only one I had to make up.

milehimedic

Forum Probie
It's common to fail a station. It doesn't make you a bad EMT; you probably just overlooked something. I failed two my first try. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

Though it's not testing your ability to use a BVM technically, and it's a bit of a juggling act using a BVM for 1-person CPR, make sure you're making a good "c-e" seal with a good head tilt, chin lift with adequate rise and fall of the chest. Also, when the AED says "do not touch the patient," make sure that your second rescuer doesn't touch the patient while it's analyzing. Make sure your arms are locked and you're getting adequate depth and recoil of the chest with each compression. You can continue compressions while the AED is charging, but make sure to clear the patient before delivering a shock. Turn on the AED, then apply pads when directed.

The only other thing is be sure to look over your critical fails. Were you nervous? There's always "failure to manage patient as a competent EMT," that's pretty much as broad as the horizon. Additionally, there are some good videos on YouTube that are good for review.

As far as re-takes, you test once, then can re-test same-day if you fail 3 or fewer stations. If you fail them again, you can register to re-take the practical stations you missed for two more sessions, two times each test day. If you fail, then I think you have to retake the whole practical at that point, but I doubt you'll get to that point. Good luck!