EMT in hospital

a13b13

Forum Probie
I'm an undergraduate university student and I got my EMT certification last summer. This coming summer I want to get a job in a hospital utilizing my EMT certification. I'm having trouble finding what jobs I could possibly apply for at places like Stanford Hospital, Kaiser, etc. What should I look for?

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
During my clinicals I shadowed an ER Tech, basically an EMT who's upgraded with a few certs like IV and phlebotomy. That might be a key word to search on.

OP
OP
A

a13b13

Forum Probie
Would I have to get additional certifications for these? I really don't have time to do that

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Would I have to get additional certifications for these? I really don't have time to do that

No idea. The only thing I know is that at this hospital they have EMT-b volunteers and their techs are typically hired from that pool when a spot opens. But this is in Southern California and the job market is tight.

Not looking for a BLS Ambulance job?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

The hospital will train you in-house for anything extra you need (EKG, Phlebotomy, etc). They may give you a "certification" which is basically just a paper saying you completed the class and is usually only good within that hospital system. For example I have a 12 lead certification from my hospital but if I went and worked on an ambulance it would not count for anything nor allow me to do 12 leads.

Working in a hospital while in school can be great. I got a very flexible schedule, much better pay than I would have made in EMS, and even tuition assistance for school (Almost $10K). Plus you get great experience, you will probably see more patients in a single shift as an ER tech than some EMTs will see in a week (depending on their volume)

OP
OP
A

a13b13

Forum Probie
I'm basically looking for a summer job so I'm not confident an ambulance company would hire me for just that, but also, I have more interest in working in a hospital setting.

As for the ER tech position... I'm quite new to all of this, so would I basically just go on a hospital website, and search for ER tech under jobs? And any other job possibilities?

Thanks so much

stemi

Forum Crew Member
The most common and realistic job that an EMT would go for in a hospital is ER Tech. Like others have mentioned, these jobs often require additional certs, and even having those additional certs is no guarantee of a job. As for other jobs in a hospital, there would be nothing related to patient care.

Your best chance at a job is with an ambulance company

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm basically looking for a summer job so I'm not confident an ambulance company would hire me for just that, but also, I have more interest in working in a hospital setting.

As for the ER tech position... I'm quite new to all of this, so would I basically just go on a hospital website, and search for ER tech under jobs? And any other job possibilities?

Thanks so much

As I said before, it is more than possible to get an ambulance job for the summer, and with no experience it is much more likely than getting a tech job for the summer.

Stmills

Forum Ride Along
If you are looking to work the summer and then being done- ER tech work will be tough to land. We do hire ER techs in a casual roll where they have no regular hours but pick up open shifts covering vacations etc. we have people who working a few shifts a month then pick up more during the summer.