Emt-I Clinicals

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Just curious about the clinical experience. Do you actually learn stuff or are you basically the E.R.'s monkey doing busy work.

Another thing, our instructor told us that we would perform cpr on a person in our clinicals, is there any real merit to this or was it to prepare us just in case?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just curious about the clinical experience. Do you actually learn stuff or are you basically the E.R.'s monkey doing busy work.

Another thing, our instructor told us that we would perform cpr on a person in our clinicals, is there any real merit to this or was it to prepare us just in case?

You get out of a clinical what you put into it. for EMT-Intermediate clinicals you will definately be doing IVs, depending on your state you might be doing meds, you can watch and ask questions. In fact ask all the questions you can. But you might be asked to do something like change bed linens when someone id D/Cd from the ED, and you might as well help out, since it will help them get more patients through.

And you MIGHT do CPR. There is no way to guarantee you're going to have someone code in the ED when you're there. But it's required by all hospitals that anyone who does clinicals is BLS certified before they are allowed into the ED.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain

Like JT said clinicals are what you make of them. Going in with the fear of possibly having to be the ER's monkey MIGHT from the start have you labeled as just another in a long line of folks that somehow have convinced themselves that they are going to be an outstanding and compassionate givers of patient care. Your much better off coming into our home thinking that your going to do WHATEVER it takes to be a part of the team. Hanging at the ambulance door waiting for that perfect patient might make you miss some great patients that walk in on their own. Oh and as far as mundane its the mundane tasks that keeps the ER together and don't ever let anyone tell you different. If you want some help on making your ER clinical experience a success let me know and I can give you some do's and dont's that will help you get the most bang for your buck.

As far as performing CPR do you have questions or concerns or are just curious about actually having to jump in on a code. Do you know how many people actually get to do CPR on a real patient let alone in the controlled setting of the ER? If your lucky you might be asked to step in and do compressions if asked you should jump at the chance without hesitation. You might get real lucky and get the chance to work a peds code an experience that will be of great help in the field. If your not up on your CPR skills please dont jump in you might end up looking like a tool and you for sure dont want that label for the rest of your shift. Good luck and remember to be a sponge and take full advantage of the opportunity you have been given.

cstiltzcook2

Forum Crew Member

I learned more in my ride-alongs and clinicals then I ever imagined. All your skills are applied totally differently when the patient is not just another student. Blood, tears and fear will be involved now. Time for a gut check.
And yes, I did chest compressions on a 97 year old with no DNR. First day 3rd call. Preceptor says,"Get in there and do some compressions Basic boy." Not easy, but I feel lucky that I had the experience. Just be quiet and observe and don't hesitate when they tell you to do something. Take the history, get vitals, clean equipment, you will learn as much as you want. Have fun.

OP
OP
H

Harbeezy

Forum Probie
Thanks so much for the replies guys. I have no problem doing whatever it takes to get me where I need to be, more just curious (and a little nervous) to how the experience will be. We have all just gotten our CPR cards in class so its still fresh in my mind, ill just be sure to keep practicing so it will be second nature if the time arises in clinicals. Thanks again.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I guess the unusual thing about your sitaution, for those of us located in the other 49 states, is that Geogia doesn't have an EMT-B level anymore (well, they do, but they can't ride an ambulance, right?). So, you're really just starting out?

Anyway, my clinicals were basically what everyone else said. You hopefully spend some time in the ER learning to start IVs with good light and a patient that's not bouncing around, then you ride with other EMT-Is or Paramedics and get exposed to the rest of what you'll do, and start some more IVs on patients who are bouncing around in the back of an ambulance. ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have been doing my clinicals for my I class and have been having a blast. Know the material and your scope, listen more than you talk and take the criticism as a positive thing. If you show yourself to be competent your proctors are going to be more comfortable with you practicing skills and running calls. The company we do our rides with runs an I and a medic and the entire shift I was the intermediate on the truck. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you get stuck with something. Being honest and saying I don't know is better than doing something wrong.

My badge has student in big bold red letters on it and all the nurses I have been with have told me to turn around when I would go into a Pt's room. It keeps the pt more at ease if they don't know your a student and 'practicing' on them, but I also met pts that were more than happy to let me practice skills on them when they found out I was a student. Some people on here may disagree with this though.