EMT-I '85 dilemma - moving & medic school

Segwia

Forum Ride Along
Hoping to get some "been there done that" feedback on my situation-
I'm currently in Southern UT running as a volunteer EMT-I '85. That gives you an idea how rural this place is. It's a low call rate, but we get some good stuff. I want to pursue a career in pre hospital EMS which, correct me if I'm wrong, means I gotta go Paramedic - most places don't use Intermediates of either curriculum & with the new certifications coming up, EMT-P makes the most sense. To get the next level of training, I gotta move which I'm looking to do anyway - been looking at VA, maybe NC or SC, or perhaps CA. If anyone has any feedback on 911 services in either of these states, good programs/schools to attend etc, that's what I'm looking for. I'm so limited where I am right now that moving is a must, but since I don't really have any strings attached, where I go will be guided by my training options & jobs.
Many thanks for any info!

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Hoping to get some "been there done that" feedback on my situation-
I'm currently in Southern UT running as a volunteer EMT-I '85. That gives you an idea how rural this place is. It's a low call rate, but we get some good stuff. I want to pursue a career in pre hospital EMS which, correct me if I'm wrong, means I gotta go Paramedic - most places don't use Intermediates of either curriculum & with the new certifications coming up, EMT-P makes the most sense. To get the next level of training, I gotta move which I'm looking to do anyway - been looking at VA, maybe NC or SC, or perhaps CA. If anyone has any feedback on 911 services in either of these states, good programs/schools to attend etc, that's what I'm looking for. I'm so limited where I am right now that moving is a must, but since I don't really have any strings attached, where I go will be guided by my training options & jobs.
Many thanks for any info!

If you are looking at VA, you can definitely get a job as an Intermediate, although I-85's arent recognized here so you will likely have to go back to school for a couple of semesters and then take the registry again. Getting your P is only 2 more semesters after that.

Intermediates here are considered to be ALS providers, and pretty much share the same scope of practice as Paramedics, minus a few interventions.

You can get hired as an Intermediate and have the county that you work for pay for your Paramedic schooling. If you are looking at the Northern VA area, Northern Virginia Community College is pretty much it for EMS education.

Euclidus

Forum Probie
I am going to dovetail on your thread because I am in (kind of) the same situation!

I'm a Basic in Ohio looking for employment options. Right now I'm working for a very small town fire department where we just first-respond to medical calls, and part-time for a hospital based EMS service that provides the primary 911 response. I've discovered that I'm a lot more interested in furthering my EMS career than my fire career, but I've also discovered that it's not something I can realistically do here without being under the umbrella of an FD. So basically I'm looking for input about places that have separate Fire & EMS services (I've heard the Carolinas have county-based EMS services?), hire basics, and where I can enroll in a good paramedic program. If anyone can provide insight I would be much obliged!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Just from what I heard...stay away from California.

I hear texas is good too.

Here to go from intermediate to I its 3semesters and the national registry. Not too bad.

8jimi8

CFRN
There are texas programs to bridge from i85 to paramedic, online.

Online learning is a difficult route. Pretty hard to go from internet ALS to real life.

boarder12

Forum Ride Along
I am a registered I in California.. San Diego County used to recognize I's due to its rural landscape but no where in California that I know of are they still recognized, maybe in northern California. Texas I here is a great place to be. I only got my I becuase it was quick and the FD I work for paid for it, Im headed to medic school because to have any good ems job in California you have pretty much have to be a medic. EMT-B in Orange County Specifically= IFT'S!!! or you become a medics christmas tree holding IV's if a company has fire contracts. However there are great companies out here that run EMT-Medic combo Rigs. Bowers, AMR, Liberty are just a few. Good Luck.

pullnshoot25

Forum Crew Member
New to the field (recent EMT grad) so feel free to slap me down if I am wrong but from what I know, there is no EMT-I anymore here in CA. You can get extra certs as an EMT-B to give you ALS skills but only certain companies and certain counties will recognize those certs.

orange20medic

Forum Crew Member
South Carolina recognizes I85's... gotta be Nationally Registered. If you aren't NREMT, you can get provisional certification for one year.
Greenville County (upstate SC) runs a county wide EMS system. There are also quite a few IFT companies in the upstate that hire EMT-I's. Greenville technical college has a good Paramedic program. You can get hired at Greenville County EMS as a full time EMT-I but payed as a full time paramedic while you're in paramedic school.

OP
OP
S

Segwia

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the info! I've been checking regularly on the AMR site (love the San Diego area) for any kind of EMS jobs to see what kind of availability there is. Not much usually. I see they mostly do Fire-Medic rigs....know anything about those set ups? I know I don't want to run into burning buildings on a regular basis, so if that's part of it, not so much for me, but if it's a matter of going through the FD training but practicing as a Medic, I'd be interested. Thanks again!

reaper

Working Bum
South Carolina recognizes I85's... gotta be Nationally Registered. If you aren't NREMT, you can get provisional certification for one year.
Greenville County (upstate SC) runs a county wide EMS system. There are also quite a few IFT companies in the upstate that hire EMT-I's. Greenville technical college has a good Paramedic program. You can get hired at Greenville County EMS as a full time EMT-I but payed as a full time paramedic while you're in paramedic school.

Stay far away from this school! No you do not get paid as a Paramedic. You get paid as an EMT-I. Some places hire basics, but not many. Besides the IFT companies. Most counties in the Carolinas are EMS only services.

IrightI

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the info! I've been checking regularly on the AMR site (love the San Diego area) for any kind of EMS jobs to see what kind of availability there is. Not much usually. I see they mostly do Fire-Medic rigs....know anything about those set ups? I know I don't want to run into burning buildings on a regular basis, so if that's part of it, not so much for me, but if it's a matter of going through the FD training but practicing as a Medic, I'd be interested. Thanks again!

More on the California saga. There is no money to be had if you are a medic with a private provider. Certainely not enough money to live a decent lifestyle in CA. The only way is to do your fire training and become a Firefighter/Medic. But then you are up against a 20 spot vacancy in a department with 5,000 applicants. I was born and rasied in CA, but moved out of state to attend Medic School and then will stay out of CA for the duration of my EMS career. I have also heard great things about various Texas services, along with NC. Might want to check out, Austin-Travis County EMS in Austin, TX, Williamson County EMS in TX, and also Wake County EMS in Raleigh, NC.

If you are still set on going to CA then I would suggest looking at the ONLY service that could provide you with a decent lifestyle. AMR Ventura County based in Moorpark, CA. They are very respected by the Ventura County Fire Department, and have the ALS contract in the County for the next ten years I believe. Another option, would be to join the California Highway Patrol, work the road for a couple years and then transfer to there Air Unit and work as a Officer/Medic.

Good luck to you.

orange20medic

Forum Crew Member
Stay far away from this school! No you do not get paid as a Paramedic. You get paid as an EMT-I. Some places hire basics, but not many. Besides the IFT companies. Most counties in the Carolinas are EMS only services.

No, Greenville county pays you Paramedic rate as an EMT-I if you are an EMT-I in Paramedic school.

OP
OP
S

Segwia

Forum Ride Along
This was my first post to this site after checking it out for a bit & I'm very grateful for everyone's feedback. I'm narrowing down to the Northern VA area, possibly the Carolina's...passing on CA. Thanks a bunch all:rolleyes:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum

crazycajun

Forum Captain
No, he is not. They are not paying you Medic rate. They pay a higher pay, if in school. This is now few and far between. Very few I's get this rate.

From your post I gather you work in the Greenville system.