EMT Hazmat FRO

a13b13

Forum Probie
Before I start my job I have to take the "Hazmat FRO" course. I see this is $80! Do employers help pay for this, or is this something else that has to come out of pocket?

What about the background check and drug tests?

Thanks for any info!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
In regard to your question about FRO, it is probably best to ask your employer.

Background checks and drug tests are usually paid for by your employer.

I am assuming you got hired with an ambulance company in Santa Clara County since your previous posts asked about jobs in the San Francisco Bay Area. If this is the case, you probably don't need FRO prior to your first day. Refer to Prehospital Training Standards (Santa Clara County EMS Policy 214). That doesn't mean your employer won't hold you to a higher standard than what the county requires, but I doubt they'd require it prior to your first day.

It is probably best to ask your employer these questions rather than us. Things can vary greatly depending on your location or employer. Your employer should be able to answer these questions.

OP
OP
A

a13b13

Forum Probie
Thanks for the info! My understanding is that I do need it prior to the first day, but I'll have to ask. Thanks again for the reply!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Most ambulance companies require HazMat FRA and not FRO. Most companies aren't going to be doing any operational level functions at a HazMat scene.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Most ambulance companies require HazMat FRA and not FRO. Most companies aren't going to be doing any operational level functions at a HazMat scene.
Santa Clara County requires FRO <6 months after date of hire. The OP has asked about jobs in the bay area so I assume he got hired in Santa Clara County.