EMT Considering Medical School/Paramedic/Military??

emtglitter

Forum Ride Along
I am a 17 year old EMT in training who has fallen in love with EMS. I know I want to do something medical with the rest of my life, and I am currently accepted and enrolled into Pitt for pre-med next fall. I was recently told by my guidance counselor that she doesn't think I can handle pre-med (which is crap, I could) but I've also considered simply getting my paramedic degree. I love working on an ambulance and have enjoyed all of my clinical training so far. I was talking to a friend of mine who is urging me to consider becoming a corpsman in the Navy to put myself through training. BUT, I'm also short and thin in stature and I LOVE TRAUMA, so it was suggested by my dispatch that I look into something with flight involved. :blink:

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about deciding? I'm about halfway through my senior year and have to make some decisions pretty quickly. Thank you!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
If you're young and like medicine, go the pre-med route. It certainly won't hurt you in EMS.

You should, however ensure that you can get straight A's in every class you take if you want to do pre-med. This means lots of hours studying when your friends are out partying, and hours spent getting tutoring when you have a "B" and are already doing better than most of your class.

If you're unsure which to do, start doing the prerequisites for either, like Math, English, Chemistry, etc. You'll figure it out as you go through the coursework.

Why does your advisor advise against pre-med?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Whats wrong with Pre-Med? Nothing its a great education and will only build you as a provider whatever medical profession you may choose.

You guidance counselor might be looking at things at a different spectrum. Like your grades in your high school curriculum, what classes you have taken in High School. Things of that nature. I did a Vocational Trades curriculum in high school so I had complex math classes, but I was in basic science classes only one year of Biology, no Chem, no Physics, no A&P. Where as if I wanted to enroll in pre-med out of high school I most certainly had the grades but chem bio, A&P, and a few honors classes would have had me much more prepared.

As far as the Navy goes, not a bad route if you like the idea of the military. From my experience when I enlisted there was a few type of soldiers
1. The Ooorah, I wanted to be here since I was in the womb
2. I am just here for college money
3. I wasn't sure what to do with my life, So I gave it a try
4. Go to war or go to jail (a guy I served with, had the option to join the military in lieu of jail time for a felony controlled substance charge, I don't think they offer that anymore)

And the military isn't for everyone but its either you love it or hate it.

If your goal is flight paramedic, its not impossible but the route is difficult thousands apply for a few openings. You may be on the street riding a rig for a few years before you even meet the criteria, I know the local Flight crew its 2 years as a paramedic in a busy ALS system, or 2 years as a RN in the ED or ICU. Then some extra courses, CCEMT-P/FP-C. things like that.

Noting your posting of Small town Pa. I presume western pa, since you enrolled at Pitt, you may have to relocate or drive to get to some busier ALS squads. Bedford,Somerset,and Cambria Counties are kinda dead in comparison to Maryland, Pitt, Altoona, and even Carlisle.

OP
OP
E

emtglitter

Forum Ride Along
The good thing is that I'm not really into the partying scene and would rather be working or studying on a Friday night already. I'm a good student, great in some classes. My adviser is the worst guidance officer ever. She's lost countless transcript requests, recommendation letters, etc. I went to her because I'm failing calculus this quarter due to some pretty serous medical issues that put me out of school for two weeks (plus a car accident that took me out of the game for another week) and she straight up said, "If you're too stupid for high school calc, you're too stupid to be pre-med at Pitt." Which is great advice to teenagers. Right now I'm going to attempt to take my college calc over this coming summer so it's my only class at the time, and I'll have a slightly easier courseload during my freshman year, since I have to work during the year as well. (Hopefully as an EWT. Waitressing has gotten very old, very fast.) Thank you!

OP
OP
E

emtglitter

Forum Ride Along
Nothing is wrong with pre-med, that's actually what my plan has been and is for right now. My adviser doesn't like the idea of ME doing pre-med. I'm a good student, great in some classes. My adviser is the worst guidance officer ever. She's lost countless transcript requests, recommendation letters, etc. I went to her because I'm failing calculus this quarter due to some pretty serous medical issues that put me out of school for two weeks (plus a car accident that took me out of the game for another week) and she straight up said, "If you're too stupid for high school calc, you're too stupid to be pre-med at Pitt." Which is great advice to teenagers. Right now I'm going to attempt to take my college calc over this coming summer so it's my only class at the time, and I'll have a slightly easier courseload during my freshman year, since I have to work during the year as well. (Hopefully as an EWT. Waitressing has gotten very old, very fast.)

And I couldn't imagine doing pre-med without chem and A&P. I'm already considered to be at an disadvantage because I'm not taking AP Chem or physics.

The military thing, that seems to be the types I've seen so far. I haven't made a clear decision on that, Pitt is really expensive (especially for my family) and scholarships aren't going to cover anything. I want to talk to a recruiter but finding time is a huge issue for me.

You were right when you guessed Western Pa, I'm 2 hours north of Pittsburgh. Right now I'm training with a smaller company, but the plan for this fall is to hopefully get work on a crew in the city.

jrm818

Forum Captain
See your PM for some specific tidbits, but just in general - most advisers are worse than worthless. The qualifications to become one of those morons are pretty low, and many have never had a job or career outside advising. What the heck does a high school adviser know about a college science curriculum? What is their degree in (English probably). Never mind getting into medical school.

Just disregard completely and seek out advisers or mentors who know something - much more likely to be found at Pitt than at your HS.

Last edited by a moderator:

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
I wouldn't let some acidic advisor put you off of what you really feel a passion for, not in the least. When I started working on my pre-requisite courses for EMT-B application / eventual my 'guidance counselor' told me that I had a less than 20% chance for getting any better than a C in any life science / health career related courses at the college level because of my advanced age (32?) and lack of experience in life sciences. (Keep in mind I am 32, have my BSE in Engineering, and am prior-service Army).

That was 3 years ago and I haven't recevied less than a 4.0, yet.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.