EMT Classes starting soon equipment q's

HelpmeHelpyou

Forum Crew Member
Starting classes soon, trying to find some recommended equipment just for emt basic.

Requirements are a CPR pocket mask and Stethoscope. Any other advise to throw in would be great on top of what Ive already picked up from here. Would it be a good idea to buy a good one now since I assume to be using this for the rest of my life? :)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Starting classes soon, trying to find some recommended equipment just for emt basic.

Requirements are a CPR pocket mask and Stethoscope. Any other advise to throw in would be great on top of what Ive already picked up from here. Would it be a good idea to buy a good one now since I assume to be using this for the rest of my life? :)

A BP cuff, pen light and and eye protection.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Some good books. (the the many book recommendations around this site)

A whiteboard. You can hash out ideas, work through case studies, write out lists that you have to wrote learn, draw flow charts to help you understand ideas, write TO-DO lists and stick important documents to it with magnets.

clibb

Forum Captain
I thought that the EMT class would provide Stethoscopes, BP Cuffs, and one-valve masks. Mine did. I have my Stethoscope and BP cuff in my personal bag. I got a better Littman Cardiology III when I graduated from my parents.

I would add to get a pen light. It's fun practicing around with those.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Some good books. (the the many book recommendations around this site)

A whiteboard. You can hash out ideas, work through case studies, write out lists that you have to wrote learn, draw flow charts to help you understand ideas, write TO-DO lists and stick important documents to it with magnets.

You've been Frank'd again havent you :D

I would recommend you have adequate time to study and understand the material presented to you, revise, eat, sleep and have form of life outside class.

Good time management really is essential

CNAinFL

Forum Crew Member
emt equipment

A watch with a second hand, so you can take people's respirations and heart rate.

My class didn't provide BP cuff, stethoscope or eye protection. They did provide a HEPA mask which was required for us to ride along with the fire department.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I can't hear out of basic steths. I even have my litmann curved weird and people think I'm odd for how I listen. But that said, our class provided all materials except a watch.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
As you start this new chapter in your life think about the example you will be setting for your patients and believe me they do notice. If your not in top shape use this time to develop and put into use a regular physical training program. You will be doing yourself a great service and by the end of your class you will see some great results.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
You've been Frank'd again havent you :D

Was that a scrubs reference? Nice.

@OP

Your program should provide all the equipment necessary for your class. As far as ride-alongs go, it is nice to have your own steth, but it is unnecessary as there will be steths on the ambulance.

As far as steth's go, there is no need at the EMT level to go all out with a Litmann. ADC makes some nice, affordable steths. Here is one for $9.99:

http://www.mystethoscope.com/adscop....html?osCsid=65a006de058e22031dc57a00d38e6c45

If you do however want to get a top of the line steth, I highly recommend the Littman Master Classic II

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Littmann/stethoscope/products/product-catalog-us/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20KFI1_nid=GST5G1H12GbeD77LGQCVJWgl

I've had this steth for quite some time and truly enjoy it.