EMT Class

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Sorry to make a new thread for this, but I just wanted to share.

Once I get a signature tomorrow from the instructor, I will officially be enrolled in EMT-B class. I had been auditing it for now, but I decided I wanted to actually do it and get college credit for it.

In addition to that, I will also be taking psychology (honors), sociology, biology, and English (honors) this semester, so I'll be fairly busy. But I enjoy most of those subjects, so it could be worse!

I'll change my training field when I am officially enrolled.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats. I always liked psychology and it taught me a lot.

When I took sociology in High School we had an excellent teacher that was neutral on views so you could develop your own. When I took it in college the professor was very one sided and preferred to lecture instead of actually engaging the class.

I hope you get some awesome teachers.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Congrats! You'll be busy, but it's doable. I did my EMT-B while taking the maximum number of credits allowed and working part-time. I found that good organization and taking care of my health were all that really let me succeed. Not having any sort of social life really helped, too...

Same here. If I hadn't taken upper-division courses before intro psych, and known there would be better courses later on, I'm pretty sure I would've dropped the major. Brilliant researchers can make for some horrible teachers, especially when they resent teaching beginners.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Have fun! You get kudos from me. No way I could handle that work load along side my EMT class.

Cory

Forum Captain
So are you taking the course at your high school? (you're in high school, right? :unsure:)

I was always told that if I wanted to take the course now, then I would have to transfer to a trade school.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Congrats. I always liked psychology and it taught me a lot.

When I took sociology in High School we had an excellent teacher that was neutral on views so you could develop your own. When I took it in college the professor was very one sided and preferred to lecture instead of actually engaging the class.

I have actually started classes. All of the teachers are pretty good B)

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
So are you taking the course at your high school? (you're in high school, right? :unsure:)

I was always told that if I wanted to take the course now, then I would have to transfer to a trade school.

Nope, I'm actually in college. They are offering the course there. It will give me 4 credits.

I don't know if you would have to transfer, but there may be a work around.

EMS_Junkie

Forum Probie
I was in my senior year of high school with 6 classes a day and decided to take an EMT-B course. It was fun but boy was it tough! Good luck!!!

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
you/re getting 4 credits for you're emt? i took my EMT class via dual enrollment at the local community college while I was a senior in high school. we went to class for two hours a day for two full semesters. We also got to leave high school for those two periods. I got 11 college credits, as well as EMT counting for two advanced placement classes on my high school gpa and transcript. I think the credits were split 4 didactic, 3 lab, and 4 clinical.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Good luck with class, you will do great!

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
you/re getting 4 credits for you're emt? i took my EMT class via dual enrollment at the local community college while I was a senior in high school. we went to class for two hours a day for two full semesters. We also got to leave high school for those two periods. I got 11 college credits, as well as EMT counting for two advanced placement classes on my high school gpa and transcript. I think the credits were split 4 didactic, 3 lab, and 4 clinical.

Holy crap, I wish I was getting as much credit as you did. My class meets 2 times a week for 3 hours each day for a full semester, and then there are also labs and clinicals.

Thindian

Forum Crew Member

That sounds like the jackpotiest of all jackpots. I didn't get any college credit for my EMT-B class, forget about AP credit. 11 weighted credits for doing something you WANT to do? Consider yourself luckier than leprechaun turds my friend.

Cory

Forum Captain
I'm not directing this at you medichopeful, because obviouly you don't know yet (although I would be happy to hear your opinon) but wouldn't it be very overwhelming to do both? I mean, the University I'm looking at (well, sorta looking at) has an EMT-B class in the trade school dvision (technical college I think is the term) but I still think it would be overwhelming. Any input? People who have done it? [sorry to distract from OP, delete if you must]

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'm not directing this at you medichopeful, because obviouly you don't know yet (although I would be happy to hear your opinon) but wouldn't it be very overwhelming to do both? I mean, the University I'm looking at (well, sorta looking at) has an EMT-B class in the trade school dvision (technical college I think is the term) but I still think it would be overwhelming. Any input? People who have done it? [sorry to distract from OP, delete if you must]

I know it wasn't directed towards me specifically, but you can't stop me from answering! :p

I do feel a bit overwhelmed, but I'm interested in the subject, so it's not that bad. Plus, the workload at the college I am going to is not like that of Harvard or one of those schools. At least, it's not first semester...:ph34r::p

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
It's official

Just got back from the registrar's office, and it's official. I am now an EMT-B student, not just an auditor ^_^

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
What the crap is an EMT-B auditor?

Well, I was originally just going to sit in on the class this semester, and then take it next semester, but I decided to just take it this semester instead. The main concern was the workload, but it won't be too much of a problem.

So basically, I was just auditing the class until a few hours ago, which I was officially enrolled. The word "audit" comes from the Latin word "audire," which means "to listen".

I knew 3 years of Latin would come in handy!:p