EMT Challenge CNA in CA?

Journey

Forum Captain
Um, sweetheart. Some of us are in medical school. Thanks for playing.

Your posts as an EMT about NRB masks sure are convincing of that...?

Not your sweetheart but I'm sure the internet has plenty of people for you to impress.

8jimi8

CFRN
I posted a couple of links to California's CNA requirements and you are offended and consider that as speaking with GRAND AUTHORITY? How on earth are you going to make it as a nurse if you get offended by an anonymous forum and by someone who posts on a few threads usually about nursing and hospitals? However, your name appears on many, many threads about many different things that you claim to be an authority on but don't always post links to the information you are giving out.

In general the GRAND AUTHORITY comes for your tone and attitude.

Your information is usually correct, I can't think of one thing that You have posted that I felt the need to correct.

HOWEVER.

I am annoyed by ANY person talking down to me, ESPECIALLY when their profile offers no credibility to their statements. (and yes, your tone is often received with air of superiority... maybe its just the way you type)

I don't know how i'll fare as a nurse, so far a million times better than as a domestic violence hotline advocate. Try not taking those calls personal...

HOWEVER, my CREDENTIALS are posted for all to see, so that when I say something, they have a basic standpoint from where I arrived at my conclusions. (AND NOT AT ALL an implication that ANYTHING I say is correct)
Although you will usually find that I am more than willing to learn and admit when I am mistaken.

Are you too afraid of just using the Ventmedic profile? At least from that standpoint, I know your info has some net worth.

I'm not going to go and look up things that Journey says, because journey has no CREDIBILITY.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
My last tech job required EMT or higher, CNA, or being actively enrolled in a nursing program with one semester of clinicals. The only difference in jobs was the nursing students and paramedics could start lines, and the paramedics could triage with a nurse countersigning because we were "trained in assessment"

I didn't find the job particularly difficult. The basic physical task of a CNAs job aren't hard, but do require some education (example, peri care isn't difficult, but is vitally important). For this reason I can't say I think the EMT level should be allowed to out and out challenge the exam.

There are many people at all levels who are wholly unsuitable to care for patients because of attitude. I've seen gads of physicians, ED nurses and even (gasp!) a few RTs who direly need to find a new career...

Last edited by a moderator:

Journey

Forum Captain
In general the GRAND AUTHORITY comes for your tone and attitude.

I think you are just overly sensitive if you allow someone who posts a few times with some info, especially with links to government agencies for certs, upset you. You can accuse me and call me all the names you want but that still does not erase the fact that I posted actual links with the information rather than just bull crapping my way through a post.

8jimi8

CFRN
I think you are just overly sensitive if you allow someone who posts a few times with some info, especially with links to government agencies for certs, upset you. You can accuse me and call me all the names you want but that still does not erase the fact that I posted actual links with the information rather than just bull crapping my way through a post.

If you'll admit who you are, I'll stop being sensitive.

As one of your actual supporters. You have to understand how much more effective your messages could be... I don't know why your posts have this habit of turning into personal warfare.

I've banged my head against the wall with you in threads before and I actually remember sending you a heartfelt apology because my view on education actually evolved as a result of your postings.
I'm sorry to feel at odds with you again, Vent, this time it IS my sensitivity that has caused the conflict... I wasn't because you posted incorrect information.

Truthfully, I have a huge problem with authority. A therapist claimed that it stems from having to be "the man" in the house when my father left, in my youth. ( and let that be a lesson to any deadbeat dad in the room).

I am extremely annoyed by your continual posting of information as if you are an informed authority, without explaining the details of the origin of your training and education.

But I guess that's my problem. Although it seems to me that the purpose of communicating is communication and that seems to be a challenge for you as well.

reaper

Working Bum
Does any of it really matter?

The information is correct and concise. Learn from it and not worry WHO is posting it!

8jimi8

CFRN
No, Reaper, it doesn't matter and its truly my bad.

reaper

Working Bum
No, Reaper, it doesn't matter and its truly my bad.

Wasn't on you man.

I just mean, that who is posting it really should not matter.

I do not care if Jerry the crack head is posting information on COPD, as long as it is correct and can be backed up, more power to him. If it helps someone learn something, it is all good!B)

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
I do not care if Jerry the crack head is posting information on COPD, as long as it is correct and can be backed up, more power to him. If it helps someone learn something, it is all good!B)

man what a missed opportunity for a username!!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown wants to know where that missed opportunity for bean dip is .... seriously man, and where is Burritomedic when Brown needs him?

Hablar hungry Brown? :D

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
My last tech job required EMT or higher, CNA, or being actively enrolled in a nursing program with one semester of clinicals. The only difference in jobs was the nursing students and paramedics could start lines, and the paramedics could triage with a nurse countersigning because we were "trained in assessment"

I didn't find the job particularly difficult. The basic physical task of a CNAs job aren't hard, but do require some education (example, peri care isn't difficult, but is vitally important). For this reason I can't say I think the EMT level should be allowed to out and out challenge the exam.

There are many people at all levels who are wholly unsuitable to care for patients because of attitude. I've seen gads of physicians, ED nurses and even (gasp!) a few RTs who direly need to find a new career...

There seems like there is on hopital which is a good one that only requires to be an EMT. It seems like a lot more want CNA or associates degree or current enrollment in nursing school now than when I checked a year ago. Well see what happens. I guess I either have to take the course or move on. I really just want to get my foot inside the hospital and gain some hospital experience so I can start moving in the right direction. Haha ya there are some people like that, but I'm not one of them. I hate when I hear about these 19 year olds who are "burnt out" because they have been working there for 6 months. Like I said, I have been an EMT-B for two years and its not a bad job. Guess I will have to see where life takes me.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok....basics may be minimally trained when you compare them to other medical professionals or other countries, but I highly doubt any cub scout troop has more training. That's just an incorrect statement.

Cub Scout? No. Boy Scouts who have completed First Aid and Emergency Preparedness (and/or Lifesaving) Merit Badges? Yes.

There was VERY little from EMT school that I didn't already know from Boy Scouts. O2 admin was the big thing.

Further - Boy Scouts spend MORE time learning splinting, and are good at IMPROVISING solutions when needed.

tao

Forum Probie
I do not recommend challenging CNA as an EMT. Most of the skills such as incontinent care and I/O are fairly common sense, but things such as Foley care require a bit more practice.

Also, while placing a patient on a bedpan may be common sense most of the time, what do you do if that patient just had a hip replacement? Recent amputation?

You said you wanted to go into nursing one day. I was a CNA years ago, and in my experience, RN's who were CNA's first were better nurses. Frankly, the others didn't have a good grasp of basic patient care that CNA's do.

Take the course, you won't regret doing so. :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you'll admit who you are, I'll stop being sensitive.

As one of your actual supporters. You have to understand how much more effective your messages could be... I don't know why your posts have this habit of turning into personal warfare.
I've banged my head against the wall with you in threads before and I actually remember sending you a heartfelt apology because my view on education actually evolved as a result of your postings.
I'm sorry to feel at odds with you again, Vent, this time it IS my sensitivity that has caused the conflict... I wasn't because you posted incorrect information.

Truthfully, I have a huge problem with authority. A therapist claimed that it stems from having to be "the man" in the house when my father left, in my youth. ( and let that be a lesson to any deadbeat dad in the room).

I am extremely annoyed by your continual posting of information as if you are an informed authority, without explaining the details of the origin of your training and education.

But I guess that's my problem. Although it seems to me that the purpose of communicating is communication and that seems to be a challenge for you as well.

Actually, his/her messages wouldn't be effective at all, because they'd be gone. The minute Journey goes "I'm Vent!" is the minute the mod team would jump in and ban Journey, even if it was just said in jest.

Journey

Forum Captain
I think that is the whole idea behind making accusations such as claiming someone should be banned. Chances are those who I have had differences of opinion with for just the few posts I have done here might be over stating their own titles and are afraid there might be someone to come along and challenge them to back up what they have posted. Best to get rid of anyone who could know where to find the actual information instead of just rambling on from what they THINK if might be. If you are going to state you are an ICU RN or Paramedic, one would expect a little more from those posts and not all the pettiness posted to distract from what they may not know.

Open forums will always have problems. Closed professional forums are much better since you do know who you are chatting with, where they work and there are not these insecure outbursts with wanting people banned for posting a link that provides information when it goes against what they have posted without verifying if it is right or wrong. This type of forum can also get people into trouble very easily in "real life". For some it will be with their employer since some have posted their photos and uniform or ambulance on this website so regardless of whatever screen name they use, their identifiers are also on the net. There are those who have insisted I put up all of my personal information on the internet or have asked for the moderators to give them the email and IP addresses. Maybe the moderators have and maybe they have not. There really is not much of a guarantee or control over these forums for security.

For these reasons, I do give the advice which other non-EMS public forums are very adamant about; Do NOT post information you do not want your employers, coworkers, patients or community to see which may not put you or them in a favorable light. Do NOT put your personal information on the internet. Do NOT give out medical or legal advice especially with your identity and that of your company known. It also doesn't fair well for an internet forum to allow that.

For credibility, this forum should be closed to the public with an NREMT or some professional license to join. Right now forums like this are just places to openly bash whoever and whatever for ALL to read. For whatever profession the forum represents it can bring a bad rap for them such as all the threads of patient abuse with shoving NPAs, dropping arms, slamming narcan and dangerous pranks.

That's all I have to say. From now on I'll stick to the closed forums where you can put your name, title and company in the signature for the right reasons.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Actually, his/her messages wouldn't be effective at all, because they'd be gone. The minute Journey goes "I'm Vent!" is the minute the mod team would jump in and ban Journey, even if it was just said in jest.

The vBulletin software used for this forum has the ability to automatically send the mods a message if the same IP address is used for more than one account. The software also has a feature where the mods can easily look up the IP address used to post each post, and see what posts/accounts that IP address is linked to.

8jimi8

CFRN
I think that is the whole idea behind making accusations such as claiming someone should be banned. Chances are those who I have had differences of opinion with for just the few posts I have done here might be over stating their own titles and are afraid there might be someone to come along and challenge them to back up what they have posted. Best to get rid of anyone who could know where to find the actual information instead of just rambling on from what they THINK if might be. If you are going to state you are an ICU RN or Paramedic, one would expect a little more from those posts and not all the pettiness posted to distract from what they may not know.

Open forums will always have problems. Closed professional forums are much better since you do know who you are chatting with, where they work and there are not these insecure outbursts with wanting people banned for posting a link that provides information when it goes against what they have posted without verifying if it is right or wrong. This type of forum can also get people into trouble very easily in "real life". For some it will be with their employer since some have posted their photos and uniform or ambulance on this website so regardless of whatever screen name they use, their identifiers are also on the net. There are those who have insisted I put up all of my personal information on the internet or have asked for the moderators to give them the email and IP addresses. Maybe the moderators have and maybe they have not. There really is not much of a guarantee or control over these forums for security.

For these reasons, I do give the advice which other non-EMS public forums are very adamant about; Do NOT post information you do not want your employers, coworkers, patients or community to see which may not put you or them in a favorable light. Do NOT put your personal information on the internet. Do NOT give out medical or legal advice especially with your identity and that of your company known. It also doesn't fair well for an internet forum to allow that.

For credibility, this forum should be closed to the public with an NREMT or some professional license to join. Right now forums like this are just places to openly bash whoever and whatever for ALL to read. For whatever profession the forum represents it can bring a bad rap for them such as all the threads of patient abuse with shoving NPAs, dropping arms, slamming narcan and dangerous pranks.

That's all I have to say. From now on I'll stick to the closed forums where you can put your name, title and company in the signature for the right reasons.

Just for the record, I never advocated banning you, I only asked what your credentials are. Amazing that you respond in such a similar manner to Ventmedic... Picking one detail and responding to that alone as if it explains everything else that you ignore. Sometimes some small personal attack or misattribution out of the corner of your mouth, while you talk down to everyone around you without having the decency to explain to us all what credibility predicates your sense of entitlement.

Just to fully respond to your post ... I already explained why I'm sensitive, just to remind you. It's a reaction to your Anonymous soapbox.

JPINFV

Gadfly
bye.jpg

Sasha

Forum Chief
The vBulletin software used for this forum has the ability to automatically send the mods a message if the same IP address is used for more than one account. The software also has a feature where the mods can easily look up the IP address used to post each post, and see what posts/accounts that IP address is linked to.

It's really simple to change your IP address :)

Sasha

Forum Chief

Please don't go. I don't care who you are, if you're Vent or not. You bring a level of information to this forum that was lost with the departure of some of the greatest posters the forum had ever seen. It's part of what drew me back out of lurkerdom.

Don't let posters with big egos chase you away.