EMT-Basic Student

EMTalex

Forum Crew Member
hey mate! welcome, and prepare to be amazed. At what i dunno, but it will come!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Best advice I got in EMT class was to sit next to the student who has done this job for years and is just recerting in a new system or reactivating their cert.

Also, remember to ask even the stupid question you are embarrassed to ask because chances are, there's someone else in the class who has also missed the point.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome!!

:p Welcome! and remember, no question is ever stupid and always keep on learning! Now here is your first homework assignment, what is "KMG365" ?:)

Para-Devil

Forum Probie
Welcome and good luck!

just a tip though, make sure ur on 911 and now a taxi service, unless thats fun for you but it wasnt for me, haha but welcome to the live, its a rewarding one and make sure u continue ur education!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Para Devil, welcome to the site. Please watch your typing and spelling.. having a hard time reading & deciphering them...

R/r 911

us_linguist

Forum Ride Along
Welcome! I'm new to the site and in the same boat you are :D Starting EMT-B in January! Good luck! See you around the site! I love this place already!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Para Devil, welcome to the site. Please watch your typing and spelling.. having a hard time reading & deciphering them...

R/r 911

New rule. Anyone using "text message speak" on a forum gets sprayed with a firehose. Whether or not they're set on fire beforehand is a secret. :p

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome! I'm about to join the ranks of the EMT students myself, registered for the class next semester and it starts in about a month. It should be interesting already having learned a lot of the information by reading an EMT book in advance but things update so often in the medical field it that I won't be surprised if I'm still clueless on the first day. :p

erik412

Forum Ride Along
New As Well

Hi All,

Just finished EMT-B class two weeks ago and passed the practicals. Now, I'm just waiting until the new computerized testing for NR in January. It will be nice to get the results in 24-48 hours.

Erik

EMS215

Forum Probie
Hey guys, im in the same boat as alot of you. I just finished my BLS class this month, sat for the NR Exam last thursday, now I'm playing the waiting game. It's been hell sitting around this last week waiting to see how I did.

Ignacio_emt_vn

Forum Probie
Newbe here sort of

Hello everyone, I just joined this community, didn't know there were communities for us EMS'ers. Just wanna say say hello to everybody.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe! we yell and scream a bit, but by god we are a fun bunch!:)

BlytheEcho

Forum Ride Along
Hey everybody!

Just started the EMT-B class last month and am enjoying it so far. The course is running on 2 campuses and that sucks. We have to video-conference 2 nights a week and then I and my fellow classmate have to drive to the other campus one night a week. Not too bad but i feel that we (the 2 of us a the closer campus) are getting the short end of the stick. Occasionaly the video-conference doesn't work and we don't get the lecture. Then it doesn't get posted on the web. Then we can't download it for some reason. We only get real skill/lab work 1 night a week and I think that may be a problem in the future. At any rate, I think that if I make it out of the course with a decent grade and pass the NR, I will be doing really, really, good.

I wanted to go straight from the Emt-B course into EMT-P (Alabama doesn't offer the Intermediate for some reason)...what are your thoughts on that? Working for a local service while going through the EMT-P course.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everybody!
I wanted to go straight from the Emt-B course into EMT-P (Alabama doesn't offer the Intermediate for some reason)...what are your thoughts on that? Working for a local service while going through the EMT-P course.

Work as a basic for a few years first. If you decide EMS isn't for you, it saves a great deal of investment of time and money. It gets you practice at the basics -- patient assessment, the routines of moving person to stretcher to ambulance to hospital bed, sizing up scenes, exposure to patients, both BSers and sick, giving reports, and so on. It's all stuff that you don't want to be worrying about during paramedic school, so you can concentrate on ALS-level care while the basics are second nature.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
welcome to the suck

firecoins

IFT Puppet
who the hell wants to be an intermediate? get experience as an EMT and than go get the medic.

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
In Georgia, you don't have much of a choice. The state doesn't recognize -B certs, so we have to get the-I. The schools around my area recommend working for at least a year at the -I level before you apply for the medic class.

So that's what I'll do, untill otherwise notified.:)

Jeff

eging1451

Forum Probie
who the hell wants to be an intermediate? get experience as an EMT and than go get the medic.

Me. I'm a volunteer and I have a career and schooling outside of the EMT world. Paramedic is really out of the question for me but I'm highly interested in EMT-I certification in the future.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine

I do, actually. I learn better by gradually building upon skills. Too many of our Paramedic programs out here (and there are only a couple!) seem to try to get you through school as fast as they can. I don't like that. I'd rather do the EMT-I classes for a while, gain experience and get things like IV sticks & a little EKG knowledge out of the way first, and then go on to EMT-P.

I dunno. It just seems to work better for me. I don't like cram-style classes.