EMT-B to EMT-P??

james

Forum Crew Member
Is School to short

I am in EMTB class and it started on the 9th of Nov and ends on the 30th of Nov. Do you think that this class is to short to learn all I need to Know? Or am I just being worried for nothing

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
I am in EMTB class and it started on the 9th of Nov and ends on the 30th of Nov. Do you think that this class is to short to learn all I need to Know? Or am I just being worried for nothing

Wow....and I thought our classes were too short. How frequently are classes being held and for how long?

Arkymedic

Forum Captain

I don't think I can even touch this comment....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Naww... you won't know any less or more than what I expect most EMT's to know in a two week class....nothing.

Now, anyone else wants to defend the EMT curriculum?

R/r 911

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I agree experience is great, however; one will obtain it no matter what level. If more students were vocal to their state EMS, and education institution then possibly changes would occur. I definitely agree things need to change, and the students (and patients) are the ones that suffer from it.

In my state the Basic is required 48 hr prehospital and 24 ER and like others described very little occurs. Again, one needs to review most Basic clinicals are designed as "observation" clinicals only. As well, the current basic material is equal to or minimally above the first aid level for the common layman. The material and education needed to provide adequate care for prehospital care is not offered in the Basic EMT curriculum.

What difference would it matter if one was a Basic EMT for 1-2 years, and only went on 5 calls, or if one went on 2000 calls and never performed any direct patient care? I know of many EMT's that respond with one of the busiest EMS systems and has yet ever placed a KED on. The F.D. performs all extrication and immobilization skills. So where does this place them? I also realize each call is unique and one can only perform that skill on that call, each will be different.

Again, experience is nice, and definitely is important; but NOT essential to enter Paramedic school. Remember, when one is working for three years as a Basic and one is in school for two and comes out as a Paramedic for one year, which has the most patient contact and care experience? Which will making more money, and as will be promoted upwards? Which is in demand for a job? Meanwhile, the Basic will be at the same point they were to begin with. Hoping to keep their position, and at a significant lower pay.

Does medial schools require experience, does P.A. schools, nursing, etc.? No, and the reason is they have met their education needs and requirements prior to discharging and graduating students. Unlike EMS courses, that take the easiest and shortest the route possible. Again, most assume a 200 hour night time course is extreme when most general P.E. courses are more in length.

I truly believe that EMT programs should be totally separated from Paramedic programs. Similar to nurses aide programs are never a part of RN school or associated with each other. In similarity, both work on patients and relieved or directed by higher licensed person. Rather, EMT programs should be designed as they are currently.. first responder and initial treatment until professional assistance arrives.

Hey Rid I am considering PA school one day. Know of any good ones in our area?

firecoins

IFT Puppet

So this would have been a better school?

James. I have no idea what your class includes but that seems a bit quick. Some stuff must be left out.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hey Rid I am considering PA school one day. Know of any good ones in our area?

Actually, OU School of Medicine has one of the best in the nation. It was the first graduate level, and has an excellent reputation as one of the toughest, yet successful for the boards and job placement. The only problem is can be more difficult to enter than medical school.

I have several PA-C friends that were former medics that graduated from there, as well as many of their students do residency rotations with some of our Doc's.

They have PA days, that one can attend if interested in their program and able to discuss with students and staff. Contact them at OU Health Science center of their web site. I am not sure, they may have a Tulsa branch in their medical school there.

R/r 911

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Actually, OU School of Medicine has one of the best in the nation. It was the first graduate level, and has an excellent reputation as one of the toughest, yet successful for the boards and job placement. The only problem is can be more difficult to enter than medical school.

I have several PA-C friends that were former medics that graduated from there, as well as many of their students do residency rotations with some of our Doc's.

They have PA days, that one can attend if interested in their program and able to discuss with students and staff. Contact them at OU Health Science center of their web site. I am not sure, they may have a Tulsa branch in their medical school there.

R/r 911

Thanks. Ark just now started recognizing them once again, and it got me to thinking about continuing on. Since I live so close to OK either would be about the same. I cannot really find a whole lot onilne right now and I was just curious if you knew of any besides OU and Harding.

james

Forum Crew Member
So this would have been a better school?

James. I have no idea what your class includes but that seems a bit quick. Some stuff must be left out.

We are in class from 0830 untill 1800 monday thru friday and we are covering the hole book. but we are only required to see 5 pt. We are in the army and stationed in Germany so we can only go to an Army med clinic. The main reason we are taking this class is because we are going to Iraq soon and we dont have any medics asigned to or unit.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
We are in class from 0830 untill 1800 monday thru friday and we are covering the hole book. but we are only required to see 5 pt. We are in the army and stationed in Germany so we can only go to an Army med clinic. The main reason we are taking this class is because we are going to Iraq soon and we dont have any medics asigned to or unit.

Ok, that makes a bit more sense, the Army. No medics in the unit? Wow.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain

Damn dude no medics? I will pray for you guys.

james

Forum Crew Member
No Medics

Thanks I am a bit worried but thats why I set up this fast EMTB course. Right after the EMTB class we are going to have a class on IV's, and yes it will be a very short class just like the EMTB one.

cakilcrease

Forum Probie
i have the same question but i think with a different goal. i want to be a paramedic, i am starting a paramedic 1 class in january with the option to test out at intermediate. i am not too sure if the experiance that i have or will have gained will be enough to back up a "red patch"

however, i have had a few people tell me that my cautious attitude will make me a better paramedic. it will make me recheck myself. so in response to your question... i haven't the slightest idea, what are you trying to achieve? do you really want to be a paramedic? or do you just want the patch?

as for me i really want it, but not at the cost of one of my paitents life.

james

Forum Crew Member
SHORT EMT-B Class

I am Taking my NR test on monday. I have been doing well in class I have an A- average do you think I will do well on the Test? I study about 3 to 4 hours a night.

james

Forum Crew Member
SHORT EMT-B Class

I also have been Volunteering at Lanstual hospial, thats where all the wounded Soldiers from Iraq get sent before they go to the states. I have learned alot there from the medics and the Docs. they are more then willing to teach me.

kashton

Forum Probie
I'm kind of in the same boat, except that I'm still a current EMT-B student. I'm about 3 quarters into my learning. I've been loving every single minute of it, and looking forward to getting more feild experience outside of ride-alongs.

I'm very interested in continuing education and becoming a paramedic after about 6months to a year in the feild. I was wondering what steps should I take after passing EMT-B class to becoming a paramedic? What classes would you reccommend as a "prep class". Everyone is telling me being 18(soon) would be too young to consider being a paramedic. What do you all think?

Thank you.

18 is a little young in my opinion but that is purely from a maturity standpoint. Everyone is at a different stage of maturity for their age so I could easily be completely off. Don't take it offensively. But... If you are already going to be working as an EMT Basic, I would definitely go for the Medic, maybe wait 6 months to a year like you mentioned and then go for it. A year of experience will make a world of a difference.