EMt-B study guide

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
I am horrible at taking notes in class and I miss a lot of stuff when i`m writing and there talking. Is there any good study guides that could help me? I do not want to cheat or refrain from reading the book but somthing I could skimp through or have my wife read and ask questions would be great!

Thanks

Fulch

Forum Probie
In class we use the Brady prehospital care 8th editon book and I find the vango audio note that you can get to go with the book very helpful. $20 well spent.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Honestly, I hardly ever took notes in class. I too found it way too hard to get everything down without missing what she was saying next to us. Instead, I would just study at least 2 hours a day and really LEARN the material. Not just what intervention goes with what sx/sy but exactly WHY something is occuring within the body. Class time was much easier that way. Just sitting and absorbing as much as possible and only taking notes on the major points that really stuck out. Also, there is usually a workbook you can buy with whichever text you use...very helpfull as well!

Hope this helps a bit.

BTW, my system of not taking notes and studying hard earned me the top spot in my class...so it worked for me!

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
Which text are you using, if it is the AAOS book they have a great workbook that I used and it helped alot. They also have a pretty good website that has alot of study material - www.emtb.com/9e/
I also used the book "Principles of Patient Assessment in EMS" by Bob Ellling, "BLS Case Studies in Emergency Care" by Daniel Limmer, Barron's Anatomy Flashcards, "Medical Terminolgy for Health Professions" by Ann Erlich, and anything else that I could get my hands on. I found the Principles of Patient Assessment to be a great companion to our classroom text. Oh and "Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology 9E" by Elaine Marieb, helped me alot during the entire course, you could get the 8th Edition on Ebay for cheap, and save yourself $80-$85.
I have others that I used as well that were great, PM me if interested in some more titles. Most were puchased on Ebay and used book stores for pennies on the dollar, most are near new.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
I can vouch for the Marieb book also as it helped me a great deal. There are some places where EMT text books just fall short, i.e. they only provide you with the info that you NEED to know instead of the entire picture. Purchasing an anatomy book can help fill in the blanks for you.

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
In class we use the Brady prehospital care 8th editon book and I find the vango audio note that you can get to go with the book very helpful. $20 well spent.

Awesome post, and I couldn't agree more. It is an awesome book, and it really helps.

OP
OP
L

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
thanks. I ran into the website last night night. I am using the aaos and was wonder if anyone has purchased there study guide that they offer?

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
in class i just took my laptop and typed everything that was on the slides.. I bought the *barrons emt study guide* at barnes and noble for $20. I took my state test today and I really cant say that much of what was in the study guide was on the exam

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
thanks. I ran into the website last night night. I am using the aaos and was wonder if anyone has purchased there study guide that they offer?

Yes I did, but the online version. It is basically a more comprehensive guide to the study questions that are available in the book and on the website. Worth the money for classroom testing purposes, many questions that were on our exams were in the online study guide.

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
Buy a digital voice recorder.

Our instructor encouraged just that, any way you could reinforce the classroom lecture they were all for. The Brady Audio was also a very good purchase, I still listen to it to this day. It is a great way to keep info fresh in your head. The EMS Magazine is also very helpful for up to date industry information, but all that stuff starts to add up after a while. Although continued study and education are a huge part of this career choice, and its critical to keep informed and continue to grow your seemingly never ending knowledge base.