EMT-B Students!!!

Kat

Forum Ride Along
Just introducing myself as well..My name is Kathleen, 22, New to the forum, and will be starting my emt-b classes August 11th. I'm really excited. Glad I found this place and Look forward to chatting on here...

ldford

Forum Ride Along
Just finished EMT-B classes last night. I have my lab final Tuesday and lecture final the following Monday. Super excited to be done!

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
ill be starting emt-b august 29th, granted i come up with the tuition money by august 21...but heres to hopin :D

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys! my name is Dawn. I am starting my EMT-B class on the 20th WOot Woot. lol i'm super excited and can't wait... i even read some of the things you guys metioned like first day of class tests about major bones and what not and started studying. im such a dork. lol B)

LauraK

Forum Ride Along
Hi. My EMT-B class will have its final exam on Aug 15. We then have +/- 2 weeks of practice practicals before state testing on the 27th, 28th, and 29th. I'm so nervous about the state exams. I just know I'm going to forget something important and flub things up for my partner and/or myself. I've been told that here in PA (I'm a transplant from SC) two of the practicals are done as a team and I don't want to not pass or to prevent my partner from passing.

csh89

Forum Ride Along
Well just got done with my first day, it was pretty fun overall, had to take 2 tests today on bloodborn pathogens and CPR which i did good on, wish I had done better on my CPR, but I'll just have to take it since its decent for just having it thrown at me an hour after we got our first look. Great first day overall and now I need to study my CPR book and make sure i have it all down for our skill assesment tomorrow.

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
How's the school going for you guys?

I've been reading quite extensively on this site over the course of the day. Very interesting information indeed.

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
Well just got done with my first day, it was pretty fun overall, had to take 2 tests today on bloodborn pathogens and CPR which i did good on, wish I had done better on my CPR, but I'll just have to take it since its decent for just having it thrown at me an hour after we got our first look. Great first day overall and now I need to study my CPR book and make sure i have it all down for our skill assesment tomorrow.

CPR is still 30 compressions, and 2 breathes right? I haven't taken a CPR class in a couple months now. But is that the correct set-up still?

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
Depends, but usually, yes.

K, I was just checking.

Because AHA and ARC both had 30 compressions, and two breaths. However, I was informed by a FF that in a while it's going to be just compressions, and no breaths. Which is why I was clarifying, because I was curious if that change is in effect yet.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
K, I was just checking.

Because AHA and ARC both had 30 compressions, and two breaths. However, I was informed by a FF that in a while it's going to be just compressions, and no breaths. Which is why I was clarifying, because I was curious if that change is in effect yet.

I don't think that change will be coming our way at the ASHI and AHA professional rescuer layer. I believe the compressions only is for bystanders or people not formally trained in cpr. many bystanders were afraid to go mouth to mouth or did not know CPR so they would do nothing. Just doing compressions is better than just doing the ambulance dance.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
K, I was just checking.

It's just compression based CPR for the lay-rescuer so the random person on the street isn't apprehensive about helping--- "You mean I have to put my mouth on that homeless guy?!"

For the professional rescuer, it still includes the breaths (don't mistake breaths for mouth-to-mouth)

The reason why it's "usually" 30:2 is because once an advanced airway is in (ETT,LMA,Combi) you don't need to synchronize ventilation's, you just do the normal "every 5 seconds" or whatever the situation calls for.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
The immediate compressions for layperson (2008) is in the cases of witnessed arrest.

Without a barrier device, no one is obligated to do breaths as we all know.

I haven't heard a definite answer on doing 100 compressions a minute for the first 2 minutes but it is being trialed in at least one area of the country right now. It may become standard in all witnessed arrests.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
100 a minute is current for layperson, yes. And....I think it's St.Louis that is trialing it in the field also.

That_Guy

Forum Crew Member
It's just compression based CPR for the lay-rescuer so the random person on the street isn't apprehensive about helping--- "You mean I have to put my mouth on that homeless guy?!"

For the professional rescuer, it still includes the breaths (don't mistake breaths for mouth-to-mouth)

The reason why it's "usually" 30:2 is because once an advanced airway is in (ETT,LMA,Combi) you don't need to synchronize ventilation's, you just do the normal "every 5 seconds" or whatever the situation calls for.

LOL But hey, you never know where that homeless guy's been!

But seriously though, no offense, but without a barrier device, I myself would be a little worried about doing mouth to mouth with someone I didn't know. Mainly because in my area, a minimum of 30% of everyone in my town is a druggie, and at least 7% of them do drugs that require needles (and last I heard, none of "those guys" care to replace them, and tend to share them)

If it was someone I knew relatively well, I'd go that mile without the barrier device, but someone I didn't know all too well... I'd feel worried. Because EMS in WA (where I live) aren't allowed to do CPR with mouth to mouth, nor with a barrier device, they have to use the mask with airbag. (can't remember the name of it, you gentlemen would most likely know what I'm talking about, it's a mask that goes over mouth and nose, and you use your hand to pump O2 into the body instead of using your own lungs/mouth) at least according to my towns FFs

I don't know how "standardized" that is with other states. But that alone, when I heard about that, that put chills down my spine with the whole mouth to mouth ordeal. Just because I know the amount of druggies in my town. (4 out of 10 kids at my HS were/are drug users, and not just marijuana.)

During EMT-B courses, do you ever learn to "jimmy-rig" something to be used as a barrier? (if a mask isn't available, or the CPR barriers aren't available) If so, what is typically done/used? (I've bought CPR Barriers, but just curious just in case, any advice on the matter for us civilians?)

I'm just curious on what you're taught in the EMT-B on this.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmmm. As an on duty BLS responder, you would have your tools. As a lay person or by stander you may not. Do accordingly....pretty easy! Just because a person IS BLS certified, does not mean he/she is required to carry a mask at all times. Without your toys, you are just "that guy".......couldn't resist :>)

Hockey

Quackers
Hmmmm. As an on duty BLS responder, you would have your tools. As a lay person or by stander you may not. Do accordingly....pretty easy! Just because a person IS BLS certified, does not mean he/she is required to carry a mask at all times. Without your toys, you are just "that guy".......couldn't resist :>)

Yep

I call 911 and if there is somebody nearby that I can coerce into doing the compressions then I do so ;)

People usually love to do compressions I've found out