EMT-B students, clinicals & ride-alongs?

EMTjhk

Forum Probie
Hey fellow or past EMT-B students,

I just wanted to know... how long were your clinicals and ride-alongs?

It seems that there's a range of the experience we get in different classes and I wanted to see how that was spread out.

I'll start off: I was expected to do 1 clinical lasting 8 hours and 1 ride-along lasting 12 hours.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

It seems that there's a range of the experience we get in different classes and I wanted to see how that was spread out.

I'll start off: I was expected to do 1 clinical lasting 8 hours and 1 ride-along lasting 12 hours.

If I remember correctly I did 2x12 in the ER and 2x12 on the street for basic and intermediate. Medic is a different story.

Like you said, it ranges by program and state requirement.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We were required to do a total of 48 hours. We can do them in the hospital or in the field or a combination. We have the choice of 7 ambulance companies, 1 fire department, and 1 hospital. The shifts are all 12 hours long except for one of the ambulance companies where the shift is 24 hours.

We had to document 5 patient contacts in pretty good detail from writing our own PCR to what is going to happen to the patient treatment wise at the hospital.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
We did 48 in the ER, 48 on the truck over a semester at my community college program.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My program in Colorado was 8 hours in a community ED, 8 hours at a level 2, and 24 hours on an ambulance with 5 PCRs. We also had the option of doing 8 hours with an ALS fire company which I did as well (lots of good food). For my IV class we needed 10 sticks in the ED or 8 hours minimum.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
At my program in Texas we did two 10 hours shifts in the ED and we did four 12 hours shifts on an ALS ambulance.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
My first ride-along was with a rural company and we only received 1 call in the 12 hours I was there, it was a frequent flyer. I learned a lot during my time there even though we didnt have calls the intermediate was helpful and the paramedic chimed in every so often with more detailed information but overall it was a good experience with a great group of EMTs.

My second was with the city and it was so fun, we have 8 calls and rode in the ambulance the only time and all the patients were dealing with real issues and I saw a couple psych patients which was a new experience. That was also 12 hour shift, the best part about it was the paramedic, she was extremely hyper and very friendly and openly helping me do my SAMPLE OPQRST DCAPBTLS doing vitals using blood glucose taught me how to spike a bag and the differences in the stuff she uses as a paramedic also going into great detail about what more you can do and learn as a paramedic (knowing i wanted to become one) she was really informative and respectful.

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
My basic class did 2 5 hour shifts in the ER.. I would have traded that for squad time any day. We didnt get any experience on a squad at all..pretty dumb if you ask me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was also surprised to find out that some Massachusetts basic programs have no required time and at most have 10 hours in an ED.

Anjel

Forum Angel
24 ER and 36 ambulance.

Avenrii

Forum Probie
88 hours total. 36 hours ED, 40 hours Ambulance, 4 hours Communications/Dispatch, and 8 hours choice.

antt07

Forum Ride Along
Here in CT I was only required to (and only given the chance to) do 10 hours of "observation" in the local E.R., which meant following a nurse around and never touching a patient once. I can honestly say I learned nearly nothing in those 10 hours. I wish that we could have been given ride time as I feel like that is where you learn the most EMS related skills as it is doing exactly what EMT's are trained to do. I learned/did more as a volunteer in the emergency room than I did as EMT student in the e.r. Not a great experience as you can tell.

Achilles

Forum Moron
We were required to do 48 on a truck and 32 in the ER
However i enjoyed it so much i did 36 in the ER ^_^
4 twelves and 3 twelves

tawnymarie

Forum Probie

32 Hours...16 hours of each.