EMT-B/Paramedic in St. Louis, MO--advice??

rookvii

Forum Ride Along
So with all nonsense that involves my job and paying for school, I've got this ridiculous idea of how I'm going to get it done in a really back-assward kind of order. Opinions of the schools, programs, etc. or just the way I'm going about it would really be appreciated!!

I've almost got my Associate's degree from STLCC, so I'm starting with some of the prereqs and other classes for an AAS in Paramedic Technology from there. I can't go straight into an EMT program right away for a few reasons, so I figure since I intend on going through to Paramedic I might as well just take some of the courses I'd need while waiting to start the EMT program in the summer.

Summer 2013, EMT program at SCCAD. This gives me time to apply and get in hopefully for that semester since I hear that a lot of people apply?? If not, there's always IMH and I've heard both are great and both have a summer semester.

Fall 2013 is back to STLCC for more courses and prereqs toward my AAS while I start volunteering as an EMT as much as I can and try and find a job and get some fantastic experience for the next 6 months to a year while working on classes for my AAS. This is where it gets a little weird I guess to some people, because I don't WANT to do a 1-year program, I'm happy to complete the 2 years for my AAS because I am not actually staying in Missouri for much longer after I complete my AAS. THAT'S why I want to build up a lot of experience and in the job I'm in, I actually make more money doing what I do than I will starting out as an EMT, plus I have tuition assistance regardless of what field I go into.

I am so, so excited to start an EMT program and become a paramedic--but I don't want to rush it because from everything I've heard from EMTs, paramedics, etc. you really can't beat on-the-job training. Since I'm not in a rush to do this to become a Firefighter or just get a job (maybe I've played way too much CoD or BF3) but because I'm really passionate about this I want to do it right and give myself time to gain the experience that makes a great paramedic. I've heard jumping right from EMT to paramedic school without any kind of buffer or some experience really working isn't a good idea, but I'd love to have anyone/everyone's feedback on it??

Once I finish with my AAS, I want to finish a 4-year degree so having the AAS versus doing a paramedic program not for credit is a better option for me. I have almost four years worth of credits anyway hah. Just decided to change majors, and felt the calling for this.

Does anyone know anything else about the amount of time it takes to (typically) fully complete the AAS in Paramedic Technology at STLCC?? I've heard 2 years, I'm knocking out the GenEds it needs in the next year so I don't have to bother with those courses it'll just be the "Paramedic so-and-so" courses I-IV.

Thanks everyone!!

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
So with all nonsense that involves my job and paying for school, I've got this ridiculous idea of how I'm going to get it done in a really back-assward kind of order. Opinions of the schools, programs, etc. or just the way I'm going about it would really be appreciated!!

I've almost got my Associate's degree from STLCC, so I'm starting with some of the prereqs and other classes for an AAS in Paramedic Technology from there. I can't go straight into an EMT program right away for a few reasons, so I figure since I intend on going through to Paramedic I might as well just take some of the courses I'd need while waiting to start the EMT program in the summer.

Summer 2013, EMT program at SCCAD. This gives me time to apply and get in hopefully for that semester since I hear that a lot of people apply?? If not, there's always IMH and I've heard both are great and both have a summer semester.

Fall 2013 is back to STLCC for more courses and prereqs toward my AAS while I start volunteering as an EMT as much as I can and try and find a job and get some fantastic experience for the next 6 months to a year while working on classes for my AAS. This is where it gets a little weird I guess to some people, because I don't WANT to do a 1-year program, I'm happy to complete the 2 years for my AAS because I am not actually staying in Missouri for much longer after I complete my AAS. THAT'S why I want to build up a lot of experience and in the job I'm in, I actually make more money doing what I do than I will starting out as an EMT, plus I have tuition assistance regardless of what field I go into.

I am so, so excited to start an EMT program and become a paramedic--but I don't want to rush it because from everything I've heard from EMTs, paramedics, etc. you really can't beat on-the-job training. Since I'm not in a rush to do this to become a Firefighter or just get a job (maybe I've played way too much CoD or BF3) but because I'm really passionate about this I want to do it right and give myself time to gain the experience that makes a great paramedic. I've heard jumping right from EMT to paramedic school without any kind of buffer or some experience really working isn't a good idea, but I'd love to have anyone/everyone's feedback on it??

Once I finish with my AAS, I want to finish a 4-year degree so having the AAS versus doing a paramedic program not for credit is a better option for me. I have almost four years worth of credits anyway hah. Just decided to change majors, and felt the calling for this.

Does anyone know anything else about the amount of time it takes to (typically) fully complete the AAS in Paramedic Technology at STLCC?? I've heard 2 years, I'm knocking out the GenEds it needs in the next year so I don't have to bother with those courses it'll just be the "Paramedic so-and-so" courses I-IV.

Thanks everyone!!

I took the EMT program through STLCC FV, and then the Paramedic Program at SCCAD.

I completed an AA in Life Sciences and I am currently working on a Bachelors degree while working full time as a medic.

I do not have experience with IHM, or any other EMS training entities in the area except as listed above, so I will focus on those.

I would absolutely recommend SCCAD for EMT. The team of educators ranges from road paramedics, to nurse/paramedics with post graduate credentials in education and all demonstrate exceptional passion for training and education and are willing to "go the extra mile" for the students. The program appears to be reasonably well funded, with access to high end high quality equipment for training purposes and simulation. I cannot recommend SCCAD as a training entity enough, you should be excited if you are accepted into their program.

I would also recommend SCCAD for Paramedic, even more so as I truly believe the program to be excellent.

STLCC will accept transfer credit from SCCAD towards the AAS in Paramedicine if you obtain your paramedic certification from them, just as they would if you participated in the program with them.

If you have any more specific questions please let me know, keep this thread updated!

OP
OP
R

rookvii

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the information--I didn't know that anything could transfer over, I am definitely going to call them tomorrow and see if that might be the better option and do the paramedic training through SCCAD after 6-12 months of gaining experience instead of going back to STLCC. Not that I would quit there, I would continue to take classes it just might change how I do it. I love the idea of being able to get my paramedic license in 1 year versus 2 and my job is very flexible so it's definitely an option since you pointed that out!!

I will be sure to keep this updated and post more information as I find out more, especially with the different programs. Maybe this will help someone else as much as it's helping me figure out exactly how I want to do this. Thanks for the information--and since you offered that if I have any questions to ask you can be assured that I'm probably going to ask ohhhhhh, like a million. I really appreciate the info ^.^

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for all the information--I didn't know that anything could transfer over, I am definitely going to call them tomorrow and see if that might be the better option and do the paramedic training through SCCAD after 6-12 months of gaining experience instead of going back to STLCC. Not that I would quit there, I would continue to take classes it just might change how I do it. I love the idea of being able to get my paramedic license in 1 year versus 2 and my job is very flexible so it's definitely an option since you pointed that out!!

I will be sure to keep this updated and post more information as I find out more, especially with the different programs. Maybe this will help someone else as much as it's helping me figure out exactly how I want to do this. Thanks for the information--and since you offered that if I have any questions to ask you can be assured that I'm probably going to ask ohhhhhh, like a million. I really appreciate the info ^.^

I cant recommend SCCAD enough, definitely the way to go.

-Adam

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I do not have personal experience with any of them but I will say that I have met a few IHM grads who were not the brightest of the bunch. Take it for what its worth. Not sure if I just met the bottom of the bunch or if it is a result of their training.

I am looking into a few Medic programs as well, not sure which one I will end up at.