EMT-B in Ga or NC?

kev484

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

I finished my emt-b and am going to take state test in NC. I have heard from many people that NC still hires a basic. GA on the other hand is goofy lol.. From what i hear it depends on what region of GA you are in??? Anyone know anything about this? I am going to get AEMT in GA but would like some time in the field. Right now as it stands I dont see any reason to take NREMT for basic in ga if I cant get a job

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey everyone,

I finished my emt-b and am going to take state test in NC. I have heard from many people that NC still hires a basic. GA on the other hand is goofy lol.. From what i hear it depends on what region of GA you are in??? Anyone know anything about this? I am going to get AEMT in GA but would like some time in the field. Right now as it stands I dont see any reason to take NREMT for basic in ga if I cant get a job

How about calling around and actually talking to the services you might be applying to versus relying upon hearsay on an internet forum to make career decisions?

Squad-6

Forum Probie
NW GA which is Region 1 where Basics aren't allowed to work on any transport rigs. When I was taking NR Practicals I did however meet some Basics from Middle/South GA that was allowed to work out of a rig for a FD. They informed me that private companies down there also used Basics for non-emergency transport rigs.

waterdog

Forum Ride Along
A
ll depends on where you apply. Some services run only Paramedics , others also use basics. In the eastern end of NC, East of Charlotte sees a lot of basics on their trucks, because of lack of funds to hire paramedics.
On the western end of the state the level of care is MUCH better. Most trucks running 2 paramedics. Your local rescue squads is the place to look for a basic position , and move up as you develop you skills and certs.
Most services require ITLS, PEDS, PALS, ACLS, NIMS 100-800 and an intensive interview process.
Having said that, I live in the Asheville area, which is one of the toughest ares in NC to get hired in because of the level of skills required.

waterdog

Forum Ride Along
Also take your NEMT , it puts you in front of all the others who are only EMTs!
A good service is going to require it anyway......