EMT B Equipment

mcgheea08

Forum Ride Along
Well my name is Randy Mcghee. I am going to begin getting my fire and emt certs in 9 months when my wife finishes her RN program.

I was wondering if anyone can give me a list of tools/equipoment/accessories that I can pick up my self.

Should I have my own responder backpack/bag?

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
the best thing you should buy for yourself is a good stethoscope. as far as carrying your own bag, personally not a fan due to liability.

llavero

Forum Crew Member
My equipment consists in a holster with:
- gloves
- thermometer
- tweezers
- clamps
- two scissors
- exploration lantern

In my pockets:
- a pocket mask
- a glucometer
- some gauzes
- some mini bottles of fisiological serum (5 and 10 ml)

In my belt:
- a lantern
- a multi use leatherman model wave

Excepcionaly (in my neck):
- a stethoscope

That's all.

llavero

Forum Crew Member
- gloves
- thermometer
- tweezers
- clamps
- two scissors
- exploration lantern

In my pockets:
- a pocket mask
- a glucometer
- some gauzes

In my belt:
- a lantern

- a stethoscope

That's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Well my name is Randy Mcghee. I am going to begin getting my fire and emt certs in 9 months when my wife finishes her RN program.

I was wondering if anyone can give me a list of tools/equipoment/accessories that I can pick up my self.

- gloves
- thermometer
- tweezers
- clamps
- two scissors
- exploration lantern

In my pockets:
- a pocket mask
- a glucometer
- some gauzes

In my belt:
- a lantern

- a stethoscope

That's all.

End well, this will not. These threads have a habit of getting ugly.

The only piece of equipment that you should invest in is a quality stethoscope. At least thats my advice. You can buy pen lights and a BP cuff but those are usually provided by the service you work for. Stethoscopes are often provided as well but i prefer to carry my own.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Are you planning on attending San Jac's programs? If so, they will give you an equipment list, but as others have mentioned, you really only need a quality stethoscope. Everything else will be on the ambulance. No, you do not need, nor is it advised to have a personal bag. If you get employed with an agency that has first responders, you can discuss the issue then.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

- a stethoscope

1. What is "fisiological serum"?

2. How do you carry a stethoscope in your neck? Doesn't that get in the way of your carotids, jugulars, trachea, etc.?

JPINFV

Gadfly
2. How do you carry a stethoscope in your neck? Doesn't that get in the way of your carotids, jugulars, trachea, etc.?
I don't think he's a native English speaker considering that his location is in Spain.
1270693145305.jpg

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Yeah, I agree. He seems to be carrying more than the communally-agreed-upon bare minimum, but I'm not going to knock his translation since my Spanish would be a lot worse (aka babelfish).

Things I've learned since my "gadget craze" phase (like the chicken pox, almost all of us get it when we're younger):
  • I have a nice 'scope that I love (Master Classic II). As someone with less than perfect hearing it's saved my butt (and dignity) probably more than anything else. It can't do the job for me, but it definitely works better than the cheapo Spragues stocked on our ambos.
  • My second best purchase was a little belt mounted pouch for gloves. It can keep 2 pairs on my belt, and cost me like $3. That thing gets the hell used out of it.
  • I also get a lot of use out of my flashlight/torch/lantern - a little Surefire I got before the prices jumped way up. It's bright as hell, fits in just about any pocket, and has a lower setting to save on batteries. The department provided lights consist of penlights and big unwieldy lights like this.
  • The trauma shears I got for $10? Stay in my department-provided fanny pack on 80%+ of calls. Still, they cut exceptionally well and I like having my own so I don't have to go looking for a set when they are needed.
  • Only reason I got my own sphygmomanometer was for practice at home - wouldn't dream of bringing it to work.
  • The only thing I have ever used my fancy Gerber knife for is the O2 wrench...

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
My basic instructor told us to bring a blood pressure cuff and a stethoscope. I used one of our spares in the supply closet of our agency.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
stethoscope and books. Love my litman classic II

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
USAF, great post. These new emt's/medics that I run into or work with that carry these bags with a crazy amount of equipment in it are absolutely scary. It almost always coincides with the amount of ems/star of life stickers on their vehicles.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks. It's almost a stock response at this point. I always argue the more crap they have on their car, in their bag or on their belt, the less I trust them. Newbies, keep this in mind!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think he's a native English speaker considering that his location is in Spain.

Ah, a classic error in online forums, and one I've dinged others on in the past for committing. My sincerest apologies, llavero. -_-

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to assume that "fisiological" is a misspelling of physiological. sérum physiologique = normal saline.

Ah, thanks for explaining what "physiological serum" was as well because I would have asked what that was, too. :D

I have a lot of the same stuff you do...Almost the same knife, but the red version; same trauma shears; a different variant of the Surefire 6P model flashlight; and a Littmann scope (different model though). I keep gloves in one of the cargo pockets of my pants, though.

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
In USA, you "say" normal saline. In Europe, like Portugal, we "say" soro fisiológico (physiological serum).

Here, our trauma bags, airway/ressuscitation bags and diagnostic equipment bags, are very well equipped.
Still, I use a vest with many pockets (like this:http://www.jubileu-porto.com/detalhe.asp?Grup=6&prod=101), where I have my own material, such as:

- gloves
- plastic apron (I don't know if it's the correct name)
- personal protective eyewear
- pocket mask
- My own sthetoscope
- 2 pens
- notebook
- exploration lantern
- trauma scissors
- PP face masks
- minor trauma injuries material, like bandages, gauzes etc.