EMT as a career - Getting more exposure

makphisto

Forum Crew Member
I'm an EMT-B volly on our small-town service. I went into it simply because the town had a need for volunteers, and my schedule was such that I could help. I never intended to really go any farther than that.

However, I really enjoy it! Because our town is so small, and our population is reasonable healthy, we don't get to go on very many calls. But the few that I have been on, I've enjoyed. As happenstance, I'm at a spot in my life where I'm looking for a career change, and I'm considering furthering my education and perhaps becoming a "professional" EMT.

The issue for me is exposure. Sure, I did the classes and clinicals, and I've been on a few runs. But nothing like a career EMT would do. I'm afraid of the regret of giving up a good but emotionally unfulfilling job for a potentially high-burnout one. What I really need is more "on the job" (in the ambulance) experience. Unfortunately, in our service, there just isn't any more experience to be had.

I dunno, I'm just not sure what to do. Any thoughts or guidance?

Epi-do

I see dead people
What about getting a part-time job somewhere so you can get more time in the back of the truck? Also, be aware that even at the medic level, EMS doesn't pay well at all. Have you investigated what pay is in your area for EMT-B & -P? Is it something you could support yourself/family on? Are you prepared to have to work weekends/nights/holidays? Work hours vary from service to service, but some of the shifts are considerably different than the traditional 9-5 work most people are used to working.

The best thing you can do is research what is available in your area, and be willing to educate yourself as best you can. Get your medic as soon as you feel comfortable with doing so/are in a position to go to school. Go to a college program if there is one close to you. Granted, in some areas having an associates degree doesn't mean crap to your employer (ok, so maybe it is more than "some areas"). You will however have a much better understanding of anatomy and physiology after the college level A&P courses you will be required to take than the few hours to few weeks of A&P most certificate programs offer. Overall, it will just be a better, more rounded education for you. And, if you already have a degree, you should be able to transfer your gen ed stuff.

Good luck with your decision! I can tell you that I took well over a 50% pay cut when I accepted my first job as an EMT-B, and over 8 years later I still don't make what I was making in my previous career. However, I do love going to work everyday. I love the people I work with, most of the patients I encounter are interesting, and I have had several opportunities present themselves that never would have come my way if I weren't in EMS. It is a choice that only you can make, and you have to make it for the "right" reasons - whatever those may be for you.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
well, if you're in a small town, you're probably going to have to get out of there to find a paid EMS gig. if this sounds like a sacrifice you're willing to make, then i would start looking for a company, such as the one that I work for, that offers training courses that go along with employment. then, go from there.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
well, if you're in a small town, you're probably going to have to get out of there to find a paid EMS gig. if this sounds like a sacrifice you're willing to make, then i would start looking for a company, such as the one that I work for, that offers training courses that go along with employment. then, go from there.

OP
OP
makphisto

makphisto

Forum Crew Member
What about getting a part-time job somewhere so you can get more time in the back of the truck?

That would be ideal, but do services hire Bs? It seems like when I see an ad for an Ambulance Service, they're looking for Paramedics only. I guess I shall inquire!
Thanks.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
That would be ideal, but do services hire Bs? It seems like when I see an ad for an Ambulance Service, they're looking for Paramedics only. I guess I shall inquire!
Thanks.

They may give you information for a transport company. This is good because you will become a better EMT and get lots of exposure to not just EMS but other heatlcare professionsal that pay better with less chance of burnout. RNs of course but Repitory Therapists, various types of mental health counselors etc etc. I came across surgical technologists on a medic rotation. Thats a very cool position.

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Come to South Africa. I guarantee 4 GSW's, 5 Stabbings, and 8 MVA's in a weekend.

Then go do a professional degree in Emergency Medical Care somewhere.

Then pay off your study loans hehe

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Don't neglect the idea of volunteering in a local emergency room. They often need the help and from that end you can really learn a lot.