EMS With Felonies

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Doesn't make anyone want to hire you...just to make that clear. It demonstrates a history of being irresponsible. Something not highly sought after in EMS.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I think the comment about success was only in reference to your goal of becoming an EMT and working on an ambulance. Like DEMedic said earlier, we don't know you from Adam. We're speaking in general terms regarding the hiring of felons. From what you're telling us, your crimes don't sound horribly heinous. In my opinion, what you described shouldn't be considered felonious. You mentioned earlier attempting to get your record expunged, so good luck with that. I still stand by my earlier statements made in regards to the hiring of felons in general. It looks bad for our profession, even if it occasionally does result in an error on a case by case basis. Also, your stories of your father hiring felons with success and having other employees steal from them is only anecdotal evidence, like so many things on this site. Overall, a felon is more likely to commit another crime in their life than someone who has not previously been convicted of a crime. YMMV and exceptions are made all the time, but them's the facts.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
From my own hiring to me hiring others I have never looked at criminal history. On none of my applications at the three places I own do I even have it listed. Nor does my dad at his businesses. your past is exactly that YOUR past and has nothing to do with me.

You own two convenience stores and a Domino's, correct? If you choose to hire people with criminal history then that is great. I commend you for giving them a chance when many others do not. It is your decisions to trust them with your money and your business. That is a totally different circumstance than public service and healthcare. In public service you are held to a higher standard and are trusted by people who are vulnerable. The company is not just risking its own assets but also partly responsible for the assets of their patients and the public. You are entering people's homes, handling medications and controlled substances, and driving emergency vehicles. Companies have the right, and justly so, to be as selective and prudent as necessary. The public has the expectation that the person coming to help in their time of need is trustworthy and qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:

dkelley5

Forum Probie
My previous statment

Somewhere someone didnt read that I am already in public service and am a supervisor at that. I was in the Goverment service with these same felonies and retired as an E8 with these same felonies.

I just wont people to realize that a felony is a label and only that. If you judge someone by their actions you will not make it far in life.

Should we judge men and women who have children out of wedlock. Should we judge men and women who were adulterous. If they cant be faithful to their spouse can they be faithful to your business.

If you deposit 1$ into a machine and two sodas fall out. Do you leave the Soda or do you at your expense return it to the manufacture. If not that is stealing.

Should you trust someone to be an accountant if he his late with his own bills. He cant pay his own time would he pay yours on time.

Should you trust people who drink alcohol. If they drink at night who is to say they wont drink during the day.

But we dont apply the label to these people. I know many great medics who are felons. Some of the USA best spies were people who committed crime.

Remember that it was Frank Abagnale who wrote and defrauded millions of dollars from people by writing checks and being a trickster that started a company to help protect business against such. And now employs thousands around the world. But remember he is a felon by label.

Or use my life for example. I have been labeled a felon. But have made it pretty far. I am financially sound. Own two companies and co-own another. I am in the Public Service and am retired from the Army.

I am more than happy to post a background check on here that displays everything that I am talking about. I have nothing to hide nor am I ashame of anything that is on it.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
“Questions are great, but only if you know the answers. If you ask questions and the answers surprise you, you look silly.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton

I think we've beat this topic to a pulp. The OP asked if he would have difficulty in obtaining an EMS job with a felony. Many of us chimed in and, because of background checks, confirmed that this would be true.

Questions asked and answered. Unless you have specific information on the original topic, let's let this one go.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
EMSA hired a good guy with a dui, he killed someone with negligent driving. Ruined it for everyone else with a DUI. Life is unfair.

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
My background check has one issue. It was when I was 17. Broken tail light lol.

When I applied for the police academy when I was 21 the director of the academy laughed and told me my record was too bad. We both started laughing. It was good times... But my personality doesn't fit in with how the police stuff works.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So... in California traffic offenses are criminal (infractions are below misdemeanors). Does that mean that I technically have to mark the "yes" box for convictions (well, technically it was dismissed due to traffic school...)?