EMS Unions

Silverstone

Forum Probie
I've been inquiring into unions in EMS. As of right now the service I work for is a Private non-union *for profit organization. We have been dealing with some tough times. We were recently in 2006 a hospital based ambulance service and then we separated into our own entity known as "Area Ambulance Authority." You can visit our not-up-to-date website at www.area-ambulance.org. But like I said recently our morale has taken a dump, and lots of bickering among employees. Our pay is pretty low compared to other services in the area with less call volume, and our schedules are a topic for debate. I was just wondering if anyone on here works for a service that is a union, and what, if any, perks do you have being in that union.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I don't know your company. A big question would be how good are your co-workers? Are they good EMTs and Medics? Do you feel that if you brought a union in would that help or cause more problems? How are your company's contracts? Are they strong, or are the weak? If you brought in would the company fold, give in, or just hire different people? Unions are nice for really big companies, but for small ones they some times are not so great. I work for a union shop. I am not the right person to ask about unions. PM me if you want to know why.