EMS to Nursing. Any regrets?

TacomaGirl

Forum Probie
I did it backwards. RN for 10 years in NICU/PICU/ICU/ER and then went into CCT. I am not a medic nor EMT and have been quite successful with the minimal training given by my employer. I have no regrets in leaving the hospital setting and although I took a paycut to work prehospital, I still make a decent wage without the hospital confinement and political BS.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
What do you do TacomaGirl? CCRN on a chopper or plane? You work with a Medic I take it?

TacomaGirl

Forum Probie
ground ambulance and no, it's just an RN and EMT-B.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
"Saying ED is critical care is a very long stretch."

At Maimonodes Medical Center @ Brooklyn the ED has a critical care side and a non-critical care ambulance triage area. I noticed that EMS who called the hospital prior to arriving would usually go directly to the critical care side of the ED immediately upon arrival.

I don't know anything about that particular hospital, but ED's frequently have a "critical care" side or area, which is just another way of saying "this is where the sick ones go".

You'll occasionally see an ICU patient sitting in an ED for a while, but it's generally uncommon. Usually the goal is to get them to the ICU or the OR as soon as possible.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I don't know anything about that particular hospital, but ED's frequently have a "critical care" side or area, which is just another way of saying "this is where the sick ones go".

You'll occasionally see an ICU patient sitting in an ED for a while, but it's generally uncommon. Usually the goal is to get them to the ICU or the OR as soon as possible.

I know some CRNA Programs accepted ED experience as critical care however it seems many have revised that. Do you think ED experience is adequate to be competent in "Critical Care"?

Nothing against ER Nurses, their job is incredibly challenging. I just think it is a different ball game.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know some CRNA Programs accepted ED experience as critical care however it seems many have revised that. Do you think ED experience is adequate to be competent in "Critical Care"?

I think the quality of your experience is what matters, not specifically where you gained most of your experience. As long as you have experience with critical care "stuff" - lines, monitors, drips, vents, and are generally knowledgable about and comfortable dealing with sick patients, then you'll probably do fine with the clinical part of anesthesia.

Different programs have different things that they focus on when it comes to admission. Some are very narrow minded about experience and will only accept tradional adult ICU nurses, others are more open minded. In my class we had a guy whose background was mostly OR nursing and cath lab, a girl who was a NICU nurse, another guy who was an ICU nurse very briefly but was an RRT previously, and myself whose background was primarily HEMS.

lifeway

Forum Crew Member
I'm a nursing assistant currently and almost done with EMT school. I'm going to make a similar amount of money if not a tiny cut in pay. I've been working indoors in hospitals for almost 4 years and am just tired of the monotony and boredom of being inside and doing bedside nursing, which is what lead me to EMS.

For my long term goals I'm considering Medic or RN. My fear of getting into medic is the lack of advancement (except being a FDNY LT) and pay being not nearly as much as RN. With RN, I fear I'll be doing it just for the money. Working in an ED would be great, but it would still be indoors and I wouldn't be outdoors driving around and doing 911 calls.

Anyone that has worked EMS and got into nursing and regret it? I can see how one could get stuck in nursing because of the pay.

Hey,
I'm almost graduated from a Bachelor's program for RN. I enjoy the higher level of medical practice I can do in the hospital but really love the flexibility and "You never know what to expect," aspect of EMS work. I'm currently an EMT, love the work and heading toward paramedic training after nursing school. If you like out of hospital work but are looking for a job with good pay getting paramedic training could be a good option. I've seen quite a few job openings for medics on oil rigs, cruise lines, etc... and the pay is better. There are bridge programs if you later want to go to RN.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Where are the Medic -> RN bridge programs in NYC?

BVDFW214

Forum Ride Along
I agree with lifeway, by gaining more education you can truly expand your scope of practice and you would have more flexibility in what you want to do. I'm about to graduate with a BSN (RN) and working on my Paramedic license at the same time. Having both a RN and EMT-P can significantly increase your opportunities. Some are EMS Coordinators for Schools and Hospitals; Trauma/ED Coordinator at Hospitals; Critical Care Transport (Ground/Flight); Trauma Researcher; etc. When I finish both my BSN and Paramedic I will become the ED/Trauma Coordinator and Clinical Researcher at a Level 1 trauma teaching facility.

LaceyA

Forum Crew Member
Im in oklahoma and Im Doing EMT-B to Medic then a bridge to my RN. I already work for a hospital where we hire medics for out er and then if i decicde to do life flight here you must be both RN/Medic. Good Luck!