ems pratical jokes

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
Chantix Works. I went from 3.5 packs a day to nothing in a week.

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
tfm: i think theres a strobe out on your super delux whacker mobile

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
*laughs* perhaps! it breaks down less than my works rig tho! HEH, guess thats why i didnt buy one of my works retired rigs.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
a good one to do to the priviate car of the gy you HATE... take a can of plain, ordinary shaving cream and flash-freeze it in liquid nitrogen. Use tin snips to cut the case off of the now-frozen shaving cream block, and quickly place the block under the seat of subject's car... when they get in, the can of shaving cream will have expanded to fill EVERY crevice in the vehicle. THIS IS NOT EASY to clean up... it is WORSE than Talcum powder.

Another REALLY BAD "prank" is to use lidocane jelly or Nitro Paste and smear the door handles of the rig... again... has the potential to actually hurt someone, so don't try this at home.
viscous lido around the rim of a pop bottle works great too haha, they get a numb mouth and you get a good laugh

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I have read all 9 pages and haven't seen this one yet. It's pretty much a classic and I have done this so many times in life. No one gets hurt, no damage to anything.

Go to the local hardware store and pick up a couple of those really large wire ties. (Zip ties) You need the ones that are 12 inches or 18 inches long if not longer, I think I have always used the 18 inch ones.

You can get someone in an ambulance or their own personal car.
Crawl under it and find the drive shaft, place a wire tie around it and make sure it is good and tight.

As the pull out and the drive shaft begins to turn they will here a wap, wap, wap....The faster they go it will get faster Wap, wap, wap, the slow down to listen to what the noise is this will slow down also.
Drives the driver nuts.... :D

AJemt

Forum Crew Member
~tape boots of sleeping partner together
~tape blown up glove balloon to bottom of sleeping partner's boot
~sneak out to the rig, switch on lights, siren to phaser or high/lo, radio to whatever station your partner hates and volume up, wipers on high, and buckle the front seatbelt (make sure it's your partners turn to drive). when tones drop or you head out for food make sure it takes you a few seconds longer to get to the truck.
~a friend and i took the bulletproof vest of a co-worker and put a cloth-tape "target" on it
~wait till they go into the bathroom to take a quick shower or go to sleep then call and ask for a tone test
~methyline blue in the coffee.....then they wonder why they're peeing blue
~one of the old school pranks i heard about (from years past) was the probie being secured arms in to a backboard then propped against the wall and left, also heard of one secured then two ambos parked about 3 ft apart side by side and board put across the two....just be careful and make sure neither rig is gonna be moving for a long while.
~koolaid in the showerhead
~ask a co-worker who wrote gullible all over ______ (ceiling, wall, etc) - wait till they look before you start laughing. and did ya'lls know that the word gullible is not in the dictionary??
~surgi-lube the doorhandles
~put a full resusci-annie (or randy) on the cot, strapped in and covered with a blanket so they find it during rig check

one of the people i used to run wiht on occasion was not allowed to tear tape for milage ahead of time....so one night someone left her a rig in which the dashboard had about 10 pieces of tape for milage.....they used every one and then some....her partner was less than thrilled...

watch the powder in the vents - just b/c i know there's a lot of people with asthma and i know i can't tolerate any powder flying....my chest won't like that very much...

AJemt

Forum Crew Member
forgot to add putting snow in the airhorn, or shaving cream; also for nightshift when your partner falls asleep in teh passenger seat ease the truck behind a parked big truck, giving yourself enough space to go about 10 ft or so w/o hitting it........slam on the brakes, lay on the horn and yell look out! - just make sure you are close enough to your partners house to get him/her a change of clothes.....

JGBoylan1

Forum Ride Along
The best is to take ammonia inhalents and tape them to the bottom of the tiolet seat where the seat makes contact, and then when someone sits to take a crap they break, and they can't really get up and leave.

Lasix in coffee.

"Student Driver" stickers. Get static cling ons, the magnetic won't stick to the box. But they will stick to the supervisor's vehicle.

CRASH775357

Forum Ride Along
One prank that my partner pulled on me (with cooperation of the patient) was taking an empty 500 bag with a drip set, and attaching it to a section of oxygen tubing. He then carefully placed the bag through the crawlspace in the truck, taping it to the wall. He then attached the tubing to the oxygen outlet, causing the bag to fill slowly. When it exploded, I just about had a full body spasm, scaring the living p!$$ out of me. I didn't think it funny at the time, but the patient thought it hilarious.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Being rant. I am not gonna rad all 88 posts but the first one got my attention. If you mess with my PPE or my apparatus we will be having heated words. The two things that protect me and protect the public wo called for assistance. Messing with vents, wiring, tied to a bed. What happens when you get a call for a child code at 3am and you gotta get going fast? and your partner is tied to a bed or the code three lights are not working.
We are adults and we are here to help the sick and injured during emergency situations and they deserve professionals responding. If you get on scene and realize that you have ants in your ambo it's not gonna be so funny.

On a lighter note, we mess with our battalion chiefs often. We use the saline bag under his bed with tubing hooked up to drip on him, we will also put baby powder all over the tops of his fan blades so when he turns it on he gets a snowstorm all over bedroom. Cereal or koolaid in the boots/shoes of guys so it crunches or staines the hell out of their shoes is good times.

I have learned that PPE, Apparatus and bedding is off limits as well as toothbrush/paste.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Being rant. I am not gonna rad all 88 posts but the first one got my attention. If you mess with my PPE or my apparatus we will be having heated words. The two things that protect me and protect the public wo called for assistance. Messing with vents, wiring, tied to a bed. What happens when you get a call for a child code at 3am and you gotta get going fast? and your partner is tied to a bed or the code three lights are not working.
We are adults and we are here to help the sick and injured during emergency situations and they deserve professionals responding. If you get on scene and realize that you have ants in your ambo it's not gonna be so funny.

On a lighter note, we mess with our battalion chiefs often. We use the saline bag under his bed with tubing hooked up to drip on him, we will also put baby powder all over the tops of his fan blades so when he turns it on he gets a snowstorm all over bedroom. Cereal or koolaid in the boots/shoes of guys so it crunches or staines the hell out of their shoes is good times.

I have learned that PPE, Apparatus and bedding is off limits as well as toothbrush/paste.

I agree. Where I work, we have the rule that you don't mess with the rig, PPE, a person's food, or their personal vehicle. Everything else is fair game.

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
Some of the practical jokes that I have been involved in:

We had a volunteer medic working in another organisation that I was involved in, and he also worked as a cleaner at the local hospital, so we would load him up with:

Worked on a cardiac arrest patient, and gave the patient a "pre cotties cordial thump" to resus him (play on precordial thump - and cotties is a cordial down here)

He turned up to a shift with a pulse oximeter - said he was trained through the hospital (a cleaner being trained in what????)

So we told him that it measures the nitrogen concentration of the hyperbaric chamber of the heart... lol he went to work and told the emergency docs about it...

We did some more to him, and eventually, on of the emergency docs contacted us and told us to stop telling him stories.

Another thing that a mate of mine did while on a clinical placement.
Set it up with the Nurse and patient, and left some apple juice with a tiny little bit of orange juice in it to cloud it up, come out and demanded to know who left the urine sample in the patients room, student nurses stammered, so my mate grabbed it, said "looks cloudy, needs more processing" and drank it.

My mate had to clean the vomit from the hallway from the student nurses.

Another good one - concentrated dishwashing liquid in the cistern of the toilet - the flush agitates it and it spews forth bubbles everywhere....

AJemt

Forum Crew Member
when hubby was working in EMS he and his partner took a piece of cardboard and wrote the phone number of the director of ops on it, then parked the one older ambo at the end of the parking lot with it facing the road (lots of busy rush hour traffic!) and put the cardboard in the window......within 20 minutes she'd gotten 25+ phone calls and all you heard coming from her office was *YOU* and *YOU* get your butts in my office now!!! lol it was funny though and she eventually laughed about it. :)

OP
OP
KEVD18

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

yeah, a chill pill is in order. are you aware that theres a big diff between a primary emergency response vehicle and a garage full of bls rigs used for interfacility transfers? as a correlary, are you aware that there are 911 agencies/companies and nonemergent transfer companies?

you decided to be all high and mighty without taking the post(and really the whole thread) for what it is: a JOKE!

dude you really need to lighten up....

Hawkeye

Forum Ride Along
Best prank I have seen done

YOu need three things;

1. A person with a good sense of humor
2. An old bag of NS
3. AN IV Warmer
4. An IV Pole

The station I did clinicals at, the beds were old hospital beds so that had been donated so the IV pole was standard.
Get the bag of NS< put it in an IV Bag warmer, and hang it above the victims bed, right above their groin, put it on TKO rate - nuff said.

kdempseyjr

Forum Ride Along
The main reason your partner should not sleep

My partner and I finished up a very long (extended) transport and were enroute back home. I asked him not to fall alseep, cause we had to keep each other up. (I know what some of you are thinking here, so dont say it!)
Well needless to say, 4 hours into our trip my sleepy partner began to snore heavily, which in turn just aggrevated me to no end. So I saw a rest stop coming up so I pulled in and ever so slowly pulled in front of a big rig with its lights on and with precise timing I gave her a little gas then slammed on the brakes all the while screaming my lungs out! If I only had a vid camera with me on that trip! The results were SPECTACULAR! After realizing that we werent in fact going to die a horrible death, he chased me around the rest area for like 10 minutes threatening me with a horrible death of my very own. (The truck driver that was in the rig at the time wound up being treated for an asthma attack from laughing so hard, seeing that he had the best seat in the house!) All I can say is that from that point on my partner NEVER has fallen alseep in the cab of our unit again. :rolleyes:

MedCoast Ambulance

Forum Probie
I just eat tacos and poot loudly in the rig. My partner is trapped, and has to suffer the wrath of my post burrito gas cloud!

Best prank ever! :p

Mine was 2 in-out shakes followed by a glass of water.....wiat till partner falls asleep then crank the heater up....let loose then stand outside the rig...watch and laugh

kdempseyjr

Forum Ride Along
funny pranks

Yet a couple more funny things to do to really green medics.

Have them go to supply and find the following items for the truck...

1. 7.0 Cuffed Fallopian tubes for the airway kit.

2. Left sided head chocks (if you have the foam brick kind like we do.)

* I did this to one poor soul at the station house... He was gone for 2 hours when he finally came back and said that he turned the supply room upside down and inside out but was unable to find any of the items needed and that we should order them... Of course we gave specific instructions on how to order them through our vendors... This guy had a great sense of humor! :ph34r: