EMS pay

kippersmate

Forum Ride Along
Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm from Dublin in Ireland. We are only getting around to medic staus here. My question for anyone is: what sort of pay differential exists between emt's and medics over there?

The more information the better as we are formulating our pay claim for the new grade and need comparisions.

Cheers

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Some of us don't even get paid for it. :sad:

BTW, welcome to our own little corner of dysfunction.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
ffemt8978 said:
Some of us don't even get paid for it. :sad:

Usually, however, that is by choice. I enjoy volunteering, but my time available to do so is very limited.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If by choice you mean that you choose to live an in area that can't afford a paid service, then I agree with you.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :) Welcome!! :) :) :)

Where I live, EMT-B's start around 10 dollars an hour, Medics make about 45k a year.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
HELLO!!

This area...

in one county, which is County Run EMS- Releif EMT's make $10/hour, Releif Paramedics $12/hour
in that same county Full Time EMT's start at $8.50/hour, Paramedics $10/hour

In the county I live in, which is Private Run (Rural Metro), EMTs start at $8, Paramedics start at $10, they make no distinction between PT or FT, they all start the same.

RMApok

Forum Probie
Company I work for starts EMT-Bs at about $10 and Paramedics at about $12.50. But we are a private company, and don't make as much as the FD's around here.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
In the Long Island, NY area, paramedics make $20 per hour per diem, while EMT's make between $10 and $15 per hour per diem.

SWVAEMT

Forum Probie
The only numbers I'm familiar with are the fire-based EMS agencies in my area. FF/EMT's make about $32K, FF/Paramedics about $35K. Paramedics should make more based on increased education and training plus they take a larger share of the call volume.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
One of my good friends is a full time medic here, and he makes $60k. He's been a medic a few years, and does one life flight shift a week. He works for the State.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Well here where I work we are currently revising our pay scale, so hopefully soon EMT will be making 27,500 and medics 32,750 to start, and of course more $$ based on experience at current cert level, overall time in EMS and if you have any fire or rescue training. So hopefully I will be making more like 36,000 since I have been doing this wonderful job for 12 yrs and 4 months now.

helfire1

Forum Ride Along
Here In Nyc, Most Of The Voluntary Hospitals Pay Ok. The Average For Emt's Is About 16-20 Dollars An Hour And About 24-28 Or So Dollars An Hour For Medics.

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
well..at the county service i work for part time is 8 for emts....9 for medics..plus family insurance costs you 600$ a month.. now...at the service i work for its 11.50 for emts...14 for medics

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Around here it depends on the size of the city. I can drive thirty minutes away and make 2 dollars more an hour. If you work full time, that makes a decent difference.

Where I live, basics make $8.50 and paramedics make $10.50. To put it into perspective, a nice 3br/2ba single family home here is $250K and a nice 1br apartment is $525/mo

aussie

Forum Ride Along
Looking at what you guys r earning & even with conversion to aussie dollars. man I feel overpaid. as an EMT B i earned 80K Aussie, guys I work with made close to 100K. (This includes overtime etc)

I think the biggest difference is we are not attached to fire depts or privatley run. We are a seperate entity under the health banner (which still has problems). We also have a very strong union which is pussing for more increases to account for proffessionalism.

Good luck & I hope i havent depressed you too much

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Let's see, right now this is what I earn as an EMT-B. With my fire department, we are all-volunteer, heh, so I earn nothing except being able to rub elbows with a bunch of firefighters (not a bad perk eh?) and the experience gained on each and every medical call. With my ambulance service, I'm paid/on-call, so I make 1.50 an hour and a whopping ten dollars per call. I'm certainly not in this for the money! Oh, sure, I wouldn't mind being on a paid service. Someday, perhaps. Where I live, the paid services start basics around 8-12 dollars per hour, depending on experience. I've never asked the medics what they make. I hope it's a living wage.