EMS in Vermont

jrm818

Forum Captain
Calling all Vermonters...

My plans have me temporarily relocating to Vermont (Burlington area) at the end of next summer. I'd appreciate any input as to the job opportunities for an EMT in the state. I realize much of the EMS is provided by volunteer organizations. Is there any chance of finding a paid job in EMS (ambulance or hospital based - just something clinical is what I'm looking for)? I'm going to start making some calls soon to inquire at various places, but all I'm going on is the phone book. I was hoping to have some idea what I'm getting myself into first.

I'm currently an EMT-B. There's a possibility I could get trained up to EMT-I prior to heading north. Does Basic versus Intermediate level certification have a great bearing on job opportunities?

Any insight, experience, or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

And who on this great blue earth decided to make prior association with an EMS system a prerequisite to certification?? What a preposterous regulation.

ericcoch

Forum Probie
most of the full time paid are hard to find, burlington for example is done by the FD and they have tryouts with many people for 1 or two spots these took place in may of 08 and I have been told that they will next be in 2010, there are a few paid on call opertunities but those too are hard. Depending on schedualing you may be able to get work with a transport company, the hospital runs medics. Good luck though. PM me for anything else if you are looking for towns to go to.

ericcoch

Forum Probie
"And who on this great blue earth decided to make prior association with an EMS system a prerequisite to certification?? What a preposterous regulation."

Keeps out some of the yahoos, and i do mean some., and on a positive side a lot of places will pay, or retro pay for the training after working and running with them.