EMS Fun?

chet

Forum Crew Member
Hello All,
I just completed an EMT course and am waiting for my test results from the state. I've talked to many different firefighters and EMT's and they all say a career in EMS is fun. Well, I am perplexed by this because I imagine backbreaking transfers, smelly patients, horrible injuries and so on. You may wonder why I wanted to pursue this line of work then... I love a challenge and I am used to a lot of hardship. But I want to know from any of you if being an EMT is fun. I am also wondering if your co-workers can be creeps as some of the people I've encountered (my instructors at the training course) were somewhat sub-human. I'd appreciate the inside scoop! The area of the country probably has a lot to do with this as well. I am in Massachusetts. Thanks and even if you creeps out there are reading this, I still respect the job you do!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
All depends on you. Some people hate it and others don't.

If I have a bad partner that no one gets along with then it's usually not fun at all. If I have an awesome partner then yes it is really fun.

OP
OP
C

chet

Forum Crew Member
That is why I was asking, I didn't get the description "fun" but at least 4 EMT's and one firefighter described the job as fun (the firefighter worked for a private ambulance company as a second job). Once I questioned an EMT about this and he said it's just fun.... I don't know. I can't define my ideas on this fun subject, as I have yet to gain employment as an EMT. Right now my idea and perception of fun is a few beers and a warm night. Oh and long walks on the beach (ha-ha)

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
That is why I was asking, I didn't get the description "fun" but at least 4 EMT's and one firefighter described the job as fun (the firefighter worked for a private ambulance company as a second job). Once I questioned an EMT about this and he said it's just fun.... I don't know. I can't define my ideas on this fun subject, as I have yet to gain employment as an EMT. Right now my idea and perception of fun is a few beers and a warm night. Oh and long walks on the beach (ha-ha)

"Fun" is very subjective notion and what is fun for one person/EMT could be polar opposite to another. While I don't like to discourage the reality is you will probably start working for a private ambulance company. You primarily will be doing inter facility transfers, dialysis runs, nursing home runs, so yes there will be heavy patients, there will be some grunt work and there will be "creeps" as you call them. It all depends how you approach it and what you want out of it.

Start looking to colleges to further your education.

OP
OP
C

chet

Forum Crew Member
All depends on you. Some people hate it and others don't.

If I have a bad partner that no one gets along with then it's usually not fun at all. If I have an awesome partner then yes it is really fun.

Thank you! I'll hope for the best and expect the worst.....

Achilles

Forum Moron
This pretty much sums it up.
null_zpscb19bcbf.jpg

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
Roxy it really all depends on your co-workers and the agency you work for. I work for a small private company and when we are not running calls we are joking with each other and playing pranks on each other. EMS is not all sunshine and roses, but if you get along with your co-workers it can be fun.

As for creeps, every system has them. They are either the young trauma junkies or the old heads that have been doing ems for years and need a break because they are burnt out. You just have to not let their negativity and creepiness affect you.

Most of all you need to remember that in this field we are meeting people on their worst days. Its a lot of stress, even those back breaking transfers, so you need to find an outlet to relieve that stress and sometimes devoloping a sense of humor will help with that.