EMS Education in Relation To Average Pay

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all having a good day. I would like it if you all could give a short run-down of the different levels of EMS education, how long they take to achieve on average, and the expected pay before tax and including overtime in a year.

Also, this would be the place to post average salaries for specific cities, counties, states/provinces, etc. Example: What does an EMT-P Firefighter expect to make in New York City? And are there additional education requirements specific to New York State/City?

Thanks again!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
EMT. 2 weeks to 12 weeks.
Advanced EMT. 12 weeks to 1 year.
Paramedic. 10 months to 4 years.

The pay scale is VERY different across the country.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
EMR is about 240 hours( not all provinces use it)
primary care paramedic is usually 1 year ( 2 in Ontario)
Advanced care paramedic is 2 years (1 in Ontario) of additional education.
Critical care paramedic is only recognized in 3 or 4 provinces and is about another year of training after acp .

Starting pay for a pcp is about 25-35 an hour. Depends on the province. (Ontario and Alberta have some of the higher salaries)
ACPs can make 28-50 an hour. Depends on location, experience and 911 vs industrial.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all having a good day. I would like it if you all could give a short run-down of the different levels of EMS education, how long they take to achieve on average, and the expected pay before tax and including overtime in a year.

Also, this would be the place to post average salaries for specific cities, counties, states/provinces, etc. Example: What does an EMT-P Firefighter expect to make in New York City? And are there additional education requirements specific to New York State/City?

Thanks again!

There is no emt-p fire fighter in nyc. Fdny ems includes basics, haztac basics, paramedics, haztac paramedics and rescue medics. Ff's are trained as CFRs. You can always take a promotional from ems to become a ff

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There is no emt-p fire fighter in nyc. Fdny ems includes basics, haztac basics, paramedics, haztac paramedics and rescue medics. Ff's are trained as CFRs. You can always take a promotional from ems to become a ff

Well, technically there's plenty of FDNY FFs that are Paramedics, they just can't practice as one, but that's just splitting hairs :D

Here, EMT-B is about 150-200 hours and their base pay is 10/hr. I don't have a yearly salary because we don't have full time basics, they work PRN for our events department.

EMT-I/AEMT is an additional 200ish hours on top of that and they start at 13/hr at my agency or 35k/year on a 48 hour work week.

My Paramedic program was ~1400 hours and we start at 17.50/hr which comes out to about 47k/year on the same 48 hour work week. Medics max out at 23.xx/hr which comes out to around 62k a year. Our Community Health Paramedics have an additional 600+ hours of education between clinicals and didactic and get a 2.50/hr shift differential for their CHP shifts on top of their hourly. If they're maxed out on the medic pay scale they make around 70k/year.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you are doing this for the pay, you are in the wrong business my friend.

I am probably in the minority here but I do it for the money. It isn't the only reason. I really enjoy being a medic, helping people , blah blah blah. There are high paying jobs on ems out there. You just have to be willing to look around, get lucky and or move.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you are doing this for the pay, you are in the wrong business my friend.

Why? I work to pay my bills no other reason, luckily I enjoy my job. I don't buy the whole "I don't do it for the money I do it for the people" bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
From a national standpoint, you can find salary information for every state for every level with the JEMS workplace survey. http://www.jems.com/sites/default/files/1310-jems-tables-1--5_0.pdf

National minimum standards for NREMT I can't seem to find at the moment, but its around 1200 hours for paramedic and 150 hours for EMT's if I recall. The Paramedic one is often associated as part of an optional AAS degree with a community college.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I am probably in the minority here but I do it for the money. It isn't the only reason. I really enjoy being a medic, helping people , blah blah blah. There are high paying jobs on ems out there. You just have to be willing to look around, get lucky and or move.

I agree. It especially helps to be mobile. I may be looking to get into oil field/off shore/industrial like you after my degree is finished. I think that experience would suit me well.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you get a higher degree and stay in EMS I can almost guarantee your going to have to relocate for a better salary and position. International contracting is one example. Also, highly competitive municipal agencies pay far better than private and provide much better benefits and opportunists for promotion. AMR may take any warm body who meets the minimum standard, but XYZ county or city EMS can be a lot pickier and selective and will often pull from a national candidate pool for only a few slots.

In addition to that, HEMS can also be quite competitive, and some of the better EMS leadership positions only open up one at a time, at certain times at certain locations ( I.E. EMS director, ect).