EMS Benefits

Sasha

Forum Chief
No, Im not talking about the benefits (or lack of) that one gets from their employer, Im talking about extra benefits one gets from the general public.

Since Ive started working as an EMT I have gotten lunch or dinner for free at least 4 times, usually the manager is just all Dont worry about it, I got you this time! and if its not free, its been 25-50% discounted.

Ive also been pulled over for speeding on my way to work, and gotten off, when it was obvious I was speeding, and I KNEW I was speeding, and the cop knew I knew ( you know the whole OH CRAP ITS A COP! and slamming on the breaks as you pass right by him, because you dont think about it, but it makes it obvious you KNEW you were speeding.) and the cop kind of made it known I got off because of the patch on my shouldler.

Is it fair? Why do we deserve more consideration then the general public?

Ive also noticed a lot of people when we stop at gas stations or stores coming up and going OH EMT IM HURT HELP ME!!! Like they are the first ones to ever think of that. :glare: :p But thats not really related.

daimere

Forum Crew Member
In my ride time the other day, we went to Burger King and got a 50% discount. I just acted like it always happens to me but even the regular EMT was shocked about it.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Here it is kinda known between us and some restraunts what they offer us some give free drinks, some discounts, Some free meals, We accept their generosity, I personally think they do it because they know we work 24 hrs and have to eat out 3 x a day which can get expensive, Usually I reciprocate by tipping the waitresses the difference if they do a real good job (most of ours do),;)

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Here it is kinda known between us and some restraunts what they offer us some give free drinks, some discounts, Some free meals, We accept their generosity, I personally think they do it because they know we work 24 hrs and have to eat out 3 x a day which can get expensive, Usually I reciprocate by tipping the waitresses the difference if they do a real good job (most of ours do),;)

I dont work 24 shifts, but working 12 and 16 hour shifts it definitely DOES get expensive!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Is it fair? Hmmm probably no. Is it fair they give military personal discounts, police officer discounts and so on?

I compare it to a thank you. I don't take advantage of either one. I will graciously accept it and honor the restaurant, etc. on my days off paying full price as well. Most companies have a built in factor for public relations and discounts.

In regards to the speeding ticket, no its not fair, yet I have seen many officers issue warnings to anyone besides EMS personal too. Although, professional courtesy has a fine line, don't we make exceptions as well? How many times do we give gloves, take care of them first, do blood pressure checks, etc..?

I personally do not ask for any "special treatment". I have learned though it sometimes offend those that do want to offer and as well sometimes is just as hard when turning them down. I will accept and if possible leave the difference in a tip.

R/r 911

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For us, some of the gas stations will give us free coffee, and a couple of resturants give us the LEO discount. We don't ask for it, and if in a resturant, usually most of what we save goes back to the server as a tip (Esp since we know the servers we usually get)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I may not get a ticket, but I think I'd rather pay the ticket than listen to the lecture... it starts with.. you know, you of all people should know better... and goes downhill from there.

I have never had anything given to me for free. There was one incident where a friend of mine and I had just ordered dinner and got toned out to a plane crash. I called the server over to get them to cancel dinner, she had just brought our beers to the table too! They didn't bill us for the beers we didn't get a chance to drink. So I don't know if that counts as free beers or not.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Some places do, some don't. One of my all time favorite places to eat will usually hook us up, so what do we do?

Pay at least half of the bill as a tip. And many of us go there on our days off to eat.

You treat your customers right, and they will come back to you.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
I hear from all my FF friends that they get pulled over all the time for speeding and never get out of tickets. They have their fire service stickers on their cars. I drive like a grandmother (well, I am one!) so I never get pulled over anyway.
Tickets I can't attest to, but I get random hugs all the time. After a call we usually stop for a meal somewhere, and I can't think of a time where I haven't been cornered on my way to the restroom by at least one person who hugs me and thanks me for all we do.
I get hugged by the patient's families and friends, too. If the cops start hugging me, I'm running for the hills.
Every person we pass on a trail thanks us for what we do, too. Takes a long time to get places sometimes, what with all the thanking.
The thanks are a great benefit, the hugs I'm getting used to (Why don't they hug some of the other team members? )
The best benefit is sometimes the Sheriff's Office buys us sandwiches or pizza after a long one. Not all the time, but when it happens it is truly appreciated. Of course the Sheriff in the next county over had his firefighters serve us prime rib after a particularly long search. It was over a year ago, and we still talk about it.
It's always nice to have that EMT patch or uniform on.
Except for sometimes the hugs are a bit tight.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
I've gotten discounts on coffee and burritos when I was in uniform, and I always make up the difference on the tip line if they have one. I'd like to think that's a win-win.

As far as getting out of tickets because you're in EMS, I don't get that. I think we should know better than to engage in risky behavior (ie speeding) to begin with, but I know there's always those few crappy exceptions (not seeing the posted speed limit is one!). I like the professional courtesy, but we should also be held accountable for our screw-ups.

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I've had friends who are EMS get out of tickets. or School Teachers. I think its a fair trade. But thats just me

VentMedic

Forum Chief
EMTs and Speeding was a discussion from last year and is an interesting read.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=4919

If you present in public as a professional, people should recognize you for that. If you choose to break the law, then the law should recognize you for that also and give you the ticket even if it means you may be out of the driver's seat in the ambulance.

GregEMT19

Forum Probie
Right now I'm a manager and a restaurant and we give military, fire, law enforcement, and EMS discount. Its our way of saying thanks. I was on a clinical last thurs and all three of us on the ambulance received 50% off our meals at Subway. It is nice to get that, and easier on the wallet I would imagine. On a lesser note, getting off on tickets... ehh.. Well if anyone knows, its us EMS people. Speed kills. kinetic energy = mass x velocity squared....

Buzz

Forum Captain
I've gotten out of a ticket by indirectly being an EMT... By that I mean, I knew the cop that had pulled me over. I had talked to him just earlier that week in the ER while he was waiting on a patient to use the bathroom. I'd never had known him had I not been an EMT. Pure coincidence.

Also, I'll accept discounts at places that I frequently pay full price for when off duty, though I occasionally flirt with the staff and get discounts even then too! ;)