EKG Interpretation

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
I just started an EGK Interp course at the community college where I did my EMT-1 training. I have to say it is an eye opener, I started to realize how little I knew or understood about the function of the human heart. The course is very exciting and challenging, I have found myself yearning for more knowledge on the heart itself and have spent a small fortune on just about everything I can get my hands on relating to the anatomy and physiology of the heart.

I am now seriously considering a career path change, maybe, perhaps working in the field of cardiology, as maybe a monitor tech or ekg/ecg tech, but just a thought at the moment.

I took the course as a way to expand my general knowledge, and was wondering how an individual who is knowledgeable and qualified in this area can benefit an EMT/Paramedic? Would it make one a more desireable EMT/Medic?

Any thoughts, input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I was a tele tech in medic school. A lot of medics really shine in that area if they take a personal interest. You should check out a fav book of mine. Everyone prob has there own book of choice, a lot of folks like the dubin... but in my opinion the absolute best book I have come across if your interested in the subject is "12 lead ecg, the art of interpretation."
Its written by a Paramedic and an ED M.D. It has 3 color coded areas blue for beginners, green for a mid level, and red for experts.

OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
I was a tele tech in medic school. A lot of medics really shine in that area if they take a personal interest. You should check out a fav book of mine. Everyone prob has there own book of choice, a lot of folks like the dubin... but in my opinion the absolute best book I have come across if your interested in the subject is "12 lead ecg, the art of interpretation."
Its written by a Paramedic and an ED M.D. It has 3 color coded areas blue for beginners, green for a mid level, and red for experts.

It was recommended by our instructor as a supplement to the course, so I got it at the beginning of the course. I agree it does seem to be a very good read so far. I also got another recommended book called "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dale Durbin, which I read before the course which helped me to be a few steps ahead when class started.

**Sorry I did not see you had mentioned the Durbin book.**

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
More knowledge will definitely be useful to you and your patients, but the hospital is going to work off of the ED MD's interpretation of your transmitted ECGs. It would be great if they get a very specific and accurate interpretation of the patient's cardiac rhythm, so that they can have the appropriate responders mobilized when you arrive. Your knowledge will help you to customize and tailor your patient treatment plan and prevent you from making mistakes like administering a beta-blocker to someone with an inferior MI, or someone who has a heart block.

I would imagine that your extracurricular activities would give you an edge over other candidates for employment, so, yes! Continue learning!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you look in the drug box the majority of the 30 or so drugs in there are cardiac related. By having more knowledge in the area you maybe able help more people than some Paramedics
One example of this is the ability to divert more patients to the STEMI lab. You can by pass the ED completely (saving a lot of time) and take them directly to cardiac. The team will be waiting before you get there and this will all be based on YOUR interpretation and diagnosis, not a doctors.
Another example would be identifying accessory pathways such as WPW, which again will change treatments and meds. Your suppose to learn all this stuff in medic school, but a lot dont because its so watered down and fast paced that you just want to focus on passing your NREMT which is really only knowing your ACLS mega code rhythms on a 3 lead.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Wow, it seems like a lot of us like this. During my First Responder class, I found out I really liked Anatomy & Physiology. After I finished my First Responder class and while I was in Mexico, I bought Saunders Nursing Survival Guide ECGs & the Heart. I really liked that book and made the heart an interest of mine. I don't know how useful it will be as an EMT-b since I think it's consider out of our scope of practice to interpret a 12 lead, we are only suppose to know where the electrodes/tabs go/prepare it for the paramedic in my area. I do plan on becoming a Paramedic though so I think it will be useful for me then there.

Heh, that's when I also found out that the heart was like two separate pumps, haha. No lie! I always thought blood went throught the heart like a backward N shape. XD Was a real shocker.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I took the course as a way to expand my general knowledge, and was wondering how an individual who is knowledgeable and qualified in this area can benefit an EMT/Paramedic? Would it make one a more desireable EMT/Medic?

As an EMT or a medic?

As an EMT, it wont mean much, if anything, unless you're working in a place that allows EMT-Bs to read/watch/interpret EKGs.

As a medic, you're expected to know more then what they teach in a "EMT-B EKG reading" class. And if you went to a decent school, a medic should be able to read and interpret an entire 12-lead EKG as well, at a minimum.

More knowledge is always good... but if you want to delve deeper in to cardiology, I recommend getting your paramedic. Granted it's not the be-all end-all, but as stated, that is our domain and the majority of our drugs and interventions are based around cardiac emergencies.

OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
As an EMT or a medic?

As an EMT, it wont mean much, if anything, unless you're working in a place that allows EMT-Bs to read/watch/interpret EKGs.

As a medic, you're expected to know more then what they teach in a "EMT-B EKG reading" class. And if you went to a decent school, a medic should be able to read and interpret an entire 12-lead EKG as well, at a minimum.

More knowledge is always good... but if you want to delve deeper in to cardiology, I recommend getting your paramedic. Granted it's not the be-all end-all, but as stated, that is our domain and the majority of our drugs and interventions are based around cardiac emergencies.

Its actually not an "EMT-B EKG reading" class, it is not affiliated with the EMT program in any way, just the same school. This is an EKG/ECG Interpretation certification course. I just felt that additional knowledge in the function of the heart and the ability to read and interpret EKG's would be of benefit to me personally to further understand what I was seeing in the field in relation to the Pt.

I have already plans to go on to medic school hopefully this year, but I can't go until the course starts and in the meantime I am always looking to expand my knowledge base. This course came along and it has been an excellent.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No worries. You'll be leaps above your classmates when you start the cardiology section of medic school, which along with pharmacology, seems to be where the most struggled.

MikeM

Forum Ride Along
but in my opinion the absolute best book I have come across if your interested in the subject is "12 lead ecg, the art of interpretation."

Required textbook for the NCTI Paramedic Program beginning in August. Must be a good one!