ED Tech jobs

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
Not sure if posting this question will step on any toes, so my apologies if it does. I am an EMT whose currently researching the possibility of moving laterally from the back of one of my ambulances to the ER-- I work full time for a private EMS company, and part time for a 911 service. I love what I do, however I think my skills would be better exercised in an ER as opposed to BLS-transporting (lets face it, a BLS transfer is really an expensive taxi!)

I was wondering if anybody has done this before, and how it worked out for them. And additionally maybe ask if anybody knew any hospitals to apply to.

Don't get me wrong, I still love doing what I am doing now, even if it is private ems work. However where I am now just isn't really what i see myself doing in a few years.

What prompted this is someone told me I should get my EMT license in Massachusetts too, because the company gives you a raise-- a dollar, woohoo! Then I heard that MA hires EMT-Bs as ED Techs in some places-- and I have heard that ED techs make more money (I am not in this field to make a killing, BUT if the opportunity is there, I may as well!)

So, that was long winded, however if that didn't put you to sleep, I was wondering if anybody had any incite for me.... Is it worth looking at becoming an ED Tech, as a Basic?

Again hopefully I didn't step on any toes... I am a FF/EMT, so Im not looking to trade in my sirens for scrubs entirely!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Why would you be stepping on any toes? ED tech jobs are good gigs and you'll get a lot of good experience. Apply for it. You're not going to hurt anyone's feelings...

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I never saw to many basic ER Tech jobs when I worked in MA, but if you see spots and thats what you want to do then apply for sure.

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
I considered it, but didn't based on the shift available at the time and my dislike for being stuck indoors. Here being a Basic is a big leg up on anyone else applying for ER Tech. I know a few Basics working both 911 and ER Tech jobs, usually while they go to medic school. Go for it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you manage to get a job as an ER Tech, you will also open some serious possibilities for jobs later on... as long as you keep working there in some capacity. You can do one of your EMT jobs and perhaps ER Tech while going to school... doesn't have to be Medic School. If the schooling is in a healthcare field where there are practitioners of that field in the hospital, you'll find that it's much easier to apply and get a job in that field in the hospital by remaining an employee.

I'm an RN and a Paramedic. If I'd been able to get any job in a hospital during school (already had a FT job that I had to maintain) I would probably have landed an RN job in that same hospital long ago.

auxilio911

Forum Crew Member
Of course it is worth looking into. Out here in CA, Ed techs get paid way more than working for an ambulance service. I enjoy working in EMS but it won't ever pay my bills. I work part time for 911 service and full time at a trauma center. Most Ed techs are CnA or EMT. Go for it bro, but be prepared to be on your feet for 12 hours!!

Jkass9966

Forum Probie
I know a hospital near me that I did my rotations in hires basics as ED Techs. They generally stick you with a ED tech that is a medic and you do what you can to help the nurses. Which, unfortunately as a basic is wiping a lot of butts.

Grozler

Forum Crew Member
I worked as a tech before and during medic school. You will see more male genitalia and fecal matter than you've ever seen before. But it's a fantastic learning experience. I did my first 12 leads there, I did fiberglass splints, suture removal, blood draws (no IVs but same principle). You'll see weird EKG rhythms nearly everyday that would take you a long time to see in the field (based purely on the number of patients you'll see), people walk in with open fractures, and what truly sick people look like. Hell, my first cardioversion was assisting a cardiologist because all the RNs were too scared to run the Lifepack. Most docs and nurses are open to teaching you up. But you can't do anything without an order and you will not have any indepence as a medical professional. You hit the ceiling of that job pretty quick, probably at about a year.There's virtually no one who's been an ER tech for 5 years, everyone is either under 2 years or over 10. Don't fall into the over 10 category, go to school.

TattooedNay

Forum Crew Member
MA EMT, Medic student and ED Tech here. The ED was GLORIOUS when I first started 2 years ago. I have seen a lot in a short period of time. I am a great technician, but once the nurses figure that out they will run you into the ground. I am literally on my feet for 12 hours, running around in a building with no windows, providing patient care to EVERYONE in the ED. It gets old. Maybe because I am in medic school and know I am capable of more, I am at the point where I feel like I could do everything in the ED with my eyes closed. It's fun at first, but not a very mentally challenging job. Every now and then I'll have a former medic (current RN, P.A., or Doc) pull me into a room because they know I am in school - So I am lucky to see the "rare" things. Working in the ED has definitely given me a "one up" on some students in my program.

That being said, the only reason I've stuck around so long is my health insurance is rock solid, I DO enjoy providing pt. care (minus code browns and foleys), and most importantly I get to network with prehospital providers (FF/Medics) which ultimately is my end goal.

My advice, it's an OK job, but you will get jaded quickly. Very.very.very.VERY. quickly. If you have any other questions, ask away!

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I also work in the ED and agree with the above consensus that it is a good/better job than the field. In contrast to TattooedNay's experiences, I have found that I actually am not on my feet for 12 hours and have adequate time, if not enough time to get bored from inactivity. I guess it will depend on how many techs you have in your ED, how busy it is, etc. The advantages of working in the ED include getting very proficient at a good range of tech skills. Now, I mention tech skills because you will be acquiring a lot of 12 leads, doing lots of blood draws, performing lots of irrigation and applying wound dressings, and splinting. However, you do not really get to practice other skills that you would need in the field (such as airways, assessments, etc.) because there are simply other people there to do that.

However, just like anything else, it is completely what you make of it. Just like being an IFT medic can help improve your bedside manner, vitals taking, assessments, and reading charts/understanding histories/medications/pathologies, working as a tech in the ED can help you improve your skill set and make you a more complete provider. If you work hard and prove to your coworkers that you are not lazy and trying to get out of work, they will let you come in and see the "cool" cases, learn/practice more advanced skills, etc. Being in the ED, you can also find a mentor who will take you under their wing and show you the ropes, teach you things that you wouldn't otherwise learn or know in the field. Finally, if you do plan on transitioning back to the field, working in the emergency department can help you understand the bigger picture. You will see how critical patients are managed and start to pick up on correlations between s/s and Dx. If you are self-motivated, you can learn everything from how to read/interpret x-rays, CT, and other imaging modalities to becoming a master 12-lead interpreter. It's all how you approach things. If you just do your 12 hours and leave, you'll get as much as you put into it. If you actively seek to learn, and for example, after acquiring the 12-lead ask the doc what he interprets it as and why, you can very quickly jump ahead of your fellow co-workers and greatly improve yourself professionally.

TattooedNay

Forum Crew Member
Well MonkeyArrow you are much more articulate than me! I agree with everything you said. It sounds like you work in an adequately staffed ED, and that makes me JEALOUS.(Are you hiring? ha!) We should form an ED tech forum.. I've been looking for fellow techs to talk with. no but seriously..

A lot of doctors will explain the EKG's to me when I give report on the patient. If something funky/interesting prints out on the monitor I am able to take it home and put it in my little 12-lead folder. I am not a nurse but because we are so busy I usually end up triaging the patient, doing the initial assessment and reporting to the nurses. There is nothing more satisfying than a cranky, overworked nurse who trusts your judgment and skills. Working in the ED your assessments will become second nature and you won't find yourself rehearsing the OPQRST'S in your head. You will also learn to read in between the lines, how to advocate for your patient and gain self confidence. Before I started the job, I don't think I would have been able to walk up to a doctor and say "This patient is sick [insert informed reasons why] and you need to see them ASAP". On top of everything that has been said in this thread, a lot of hospitals have tuition reimbursement for school if you wanted to continue on with something related....

OP
OP
R

RICollegeEMT

Forum Crew Member
Sorry for the gap in time since my last response... work work work, sleep, work work work lol.

Alright so I applied for a job and we will see if it happens. I will also start kissing *** in a few other places lol :)