East Texas paramedic schools\options?

BADDLEGG

Forum Probie
Recently joined a rural ambulance service in East Texas. Will one day be making amove to medic. Not a real good market right now (at least with this company, full with medics). Anyways love it so far as EMT but cannot make career]support family on EMT salary, plus would love to have the skills and know how of Medic. Anyways, the local community colleges dont offer shift classes for those of us working the trucks. I was told it would be best to work ER tech at night and do school days. Just because of the amount of clinical hours and school schedule. What did you find works best? Will be getting at least 6 months to year before starting any medic schools. Company once had medic class, and might be starting up soon, but no gurantees or dates set. Stupid question, but is online not really honored in this fields?

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, whereabouts in East Texas are you? If you're on the north end, I can check with my CC (ParisJC). I've heard talk about them maybe doing shifts starting in the spring.

I can't speak much from experience, but I'd imagine with the amount of practical stuffs, online cert would probably be an issue. Anyone want to verify?

EMS166

Forum Probie
Im an EMT in a medic program and work full time as an ER tech and part time pre hospital... and working the ER is AWESOME for the medic program, not only do you get more patient contact then you do pre hosptial but you get to see the "full picture" so its a great learning experience. Plus listening to the doctors, nurses, and other medics talking and discussing patient care really helps you once your in Medic class, not to mention you can aks questions and build repor with ER people that would never be able to do just working EMS. Aslong as you still work or have field experience before you start, working as an ER tech only helps you even more then just EMT... thats my opionion anyways :) oh and its REALLY nice while in class if you are confused or stuck on something having a depatrment full of higher educated ppl who know Emergency medicine to help you understand things! Good luck with whatever you do!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Percomonline.com Paramedic is accepted just like any other Paramedic. Quality online education is equal to any other type program. You still have hands on training to go with the online class portion. There are crappy online or hybrid programs out there just like the brick and mortar medic mills.

OP
OP
B

BADDLEGG

Forum Probie
Enrolled at Kilgore medic program. Only two days a week and will be able to do ride outs with the company I work for. Plus I have the option of doing clinical at one of the (from what I hear) packed hospital ER in the nation in Longview. Really excited. Will be trying to ride out in stations with alot more calls. Luckily (for study reasons) the station I am at right now averages 2 calls per 24 hr shift, and lots of posting. But that equals lots of study time. I only hate that my first partner, who is awesome is leaving to fly on a helo. Anyways thanks for all advice, greatly appreciated.