Ear piercings

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
So I'm almost 18 and will be taking Basic in the fall. I currently ride along with the FD/rescue crew in my home town every Tuesday night, and I love it.

For my 18th birthday, I had been planning on getting an industrial piercing. (For those who don't know what an industrial piercing is, its basically a barbell through the cartilage of your ear...google it)

I have both my ear lobes pierced, a piercing in my cartilage on my left ear, and a tat on my shoulder blade in memory of a friend that passed away last sumer from CF.

I'm not worried about that tat effecting my interviews, job opportunities, etc, because its almost always covered up, but how many ear piercings are too many? I have no interest in any more piercings if I go through with the industrial, but is it appropriate? Do you have body piercings? Does your employer have standard guidelines on appearance regarding to piercings? Do you think a piercing like this would make one look less professional?

THANKS!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Figure on removing for work, sorry most health care facilities require all personnel not to wear any form of jewelry that can be grabbed ahold of, considered unprofessional or draws attention to. Most for safety purposes, and the other reason is for professional attire.

Also, you might be aware, it is not uncommon for some of those type of piercings to have bleeding internally and one can get a "cauliflower" type ear syndrome, similar to what wrestlers obtain.

R/r 911

OP
OP
*ofLife

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
thanks rid, that's helpful

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Well, this has potential of being a hot topic for a number of reasons. One is the fact that the constitution of the United States grants you the right of freedom of expression.

Now everybody loves their right to freely express themselves. I, myself, am included, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everybody beholds the same thing in the same way. This is where things get tricky.

There are those you might pick up on a 911 call, or just out and about in the community, that are not accustomed to seeing piercings of any kind that are not in the earlobes of females. Some of these people may have money, or power, or both. Your bosses will tell these people, "Yes sir. No sir. Yes ma'am. No ma'am. Please, and thank you." They tend to not like tats too much either... on anyone.

Your company might have policies regarding this in the dress code. Some here may agree. Some not.

Now my personal belief is this: Whatever you do on your off time is none of my business, so long as it is not illegal and it does not effect your job. HOWEVER, when you come to work, you will dress professionally, you will act professionally, you will think professionally, you will talk professionally, you will BE professional.

Believe me when I say that I have absolutely no desire to burst your bubble, or talk down to you, or make you feel awkward in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I just believe you should be made aware of what may lie ahead of you.

Good luck.

OP
OP
*ofLife

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Mike ^_^

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
thanks rid, that's helpful

its also not universally true. this has been brough up in the form of tatoos many times.

what it comes down to is who you work for, and to a certain degree, how bad they need you. speaking from experience, private ambulance services in ma wouldnt care in the least so long as you have a ticket and a pulse. you could have every piercing imaginable short of having your lips peirced together, but if you'll show up and do your paperwork so they can bill it, your ok in their book.

for hospital based ambulance services, municipal fire or third services, or er tech type jobs, the story is more along the lines of what R/r had to say.

the easiest route is to to call the folks you want to work for and ask them. more covertly, you can observe over time the crews from a company and what they have going on.

bottom line, its not cut and dried.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, this has potential of being a hot topic for a number of reasons. One is the fact that the constitution of the United States grants you the right of freedom of expression.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

Negative Ghost Rider. The Constitution grants very few rights to the people (gun ownership is one of them, though), but it DOES put strict limits on what the federal government, and by later case law, the individual states can. There is nothing stopping an employer for firing an employee based on the actions (including political) and appearances of an employee while the employee is on the clock or can be associated to the company (i.e. don't go to a protest in uniform).

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
My daughter had an industrial put in and it looks like chin up bar shoved into her ear. In my opinion this exceeds the commonly accepted ear rings, etc. and will lower the standard of professional appearance.

I travel through out the country riding with EMS providers providing photographs for my publishers and sometimes I see a medic and wonder, "Is this person bucking for the lets see how much more unprofessional I can look award?" I am truly amazed how many providers out there simply don't care about their appearance and then they are the first to wonder why they can't garner positive public acceptance.

I completely agree with MSDeltaFlt's outlook on professional appearance. Excellent points brought out!

Ray

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

Negative Ghost Rider. The Constitution grants very few rights to the people (gun ownership is one of them, though), but it DOES put strict limits on what the federal government, and by later case law, the individual states can. There is nothing stopping an employer for firing an employee based on the actions (including political) and appearances of an employee while the employee is on the clock or can be associated to the company (i.e. don't go to a protest in uniform).

I stand corrected. Thank you.

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I look at it like this. How professional do you want to appear to your company/department and so on. I personally not one to really talk Both of my arms are tattooed wrist to shoulder. On duty I wear long sleeves which is rather uncomfortable during the hot summer days in AZ. the law was discussed, but ultimately it is a decision of personal preference.

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
Different companies have different rules but you should also be aware of what the state labor and anti-discrimination laws say. Some states have rules regarding hiring and firing of employees. Others, such as my state, NJ, are called "at-will" states. That means that, unless there is some sort of contract such as a collective bargaining agreement or a superceding law such as for federal employees, you work at the will of the employer. The employer in these states generally has right to terminate an employee at any time for any reason (or no reason at all) without notice. The employee also has the right to quit without notice but the advantage is still with the employer. You should check with your state's labor department to learn your rights.

JPINFV

Gadfly
At the same time, none of those laws force an employer to hire someone in the first place. Have visable tattoos or lots of strange ear rings and you will eventually have some doors close before you even have a chance on walking through them.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
What ever rocks your boat! As mentioned, in your off time, no one can dictate to you, however in the profession we can. There are rules and regulations that one has to obide by, ensure you know know company's rules. We also have a staff member with some of these "industrial" piercings, but when on duty, they are removed and some form of "spacer" (for lack of a better word) in put in place. That is accepteble, as one has to look closely to see them.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
This is my take on it.....

* of life,
I have been getting pierced and tattooed since I was seventeen years old. I had my industrial piercing done back in 2003(that takes about a year to heal fully)...which I got before I became a Basic (along 13 others piercings and 6 tattoos and a new one I'm getting next weekend) anyways... I have had some in our field to be very blunt with me about my body jewelery and art(because I rarely hide/cover-up/take-out) both in private and in front of everyone... and others whom could care less... but it is about the company's guidelines on this too... Myself I'm just who am, and it is up to you whether not to do this... If your still going through class(es) know for sure that they will make you take it out and that would be a great waste of money, time, and pain:sad:....

oneluv79

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would like to add this.. Where I teach; at students are not allowed to display visible tattoos or body jewelry except small posts (ear). Even rings, (except for wedding or class) s forbidden. Again for safety and professional reasons.

I will also add , I interview several people a week for positions. One may be an excellent medic with tons of knowledge and experience, but if they have a visible tattoo or body piercing chances are they will never make it to an interview. Sorry, administration as well as the public where I live view it as unprofessional.

Yes, it is your right to obtain such behavior and expression as well it is the right of the employer to have such regulations. One needs to think ahead, be wise about how much attention they want to draw. Decision of which is most important to them ?

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You also have the freedom to break the law, make poor health choices, marry badly, divorce often, remain uneducated, and act like an ***. All of these free choices have consequences. Freedom of choice doesn't protect you from receiving consequences. One of the consequences of the choices you make with your appearance are that some people (some of them employers or future patients) will make assumptions about you based on that appearance. Now this may not be fair, true, honest or just, but it is human nature. So I guess you have to decide, which is more important, expressing yourself or appearing professional.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
I agree it is up to your company and you (if you chose to work for them).

I have a ton of tats, both for arms and my company is fine with that.

However.... I have three "normal" ear piercings they permit this but only studs. No hoops at all.
Again like others stated this is a safety reason.

I have to add also think about looking professional too. Gram don't want one of the dudes from Mimi Ink taking care of her.

Last edited by a moderator:

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain

mikie

Forum Lurker
I'm on a volly dept- they just require you look profesional. I have 3 piercings (R: upper cartilage, L: lobe & mid cartilage), they've never thought it to be a problem. My ER clincials I didn't have to remove it, but for an old dept i was on, i either had to remove them or put a baidaid over it

I heard it takes a year to have industrials heal (I want one too)...so it could be hard to keep clean on the job

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
Both the 911 services I work for are very progressive. And both are a little on the leanient side as far as piercings go. There are several males at both services that wear earrings, and not much is said. They however do frown on toungue rings.

I have both of my ears pierced, but havent worn and earring in a long long time, and would not wear one at work. I dont think it's very professional looking.

As the tatoos go... Im not a fan of tatoos period! I dont think one should disgrace their body in such a manner, however I will not persecute someone for their personal choices. I don't have a problem with tatoos as long as they are concealable.

My advice to the original poster, is to think twice about the piercing. Some employers will look down upon such things. It's not exactly what you would call a modest piercing anywho.