Dui

shanederosier

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone heard of someone with a dui ever getting hired as a emt b before?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

cletus

Forum Ride Along
Isn't it taken off your record after years a few years?

If it's fresh you might have some explaining to do and you'll want emphasize that you've learned your lesson.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't it taken off your record after years a few years?

Depends on which "record" you're talking about. If someone runs a criminal background check, it will show up unless it's been expunged. The safe bet is to assume it's going to follow you forever. Personally- speaking as a former supervisor- it's more a sign of exceptionally poor judgment than a liability issue when it comes to driving ambulances (which is what most people on this forum are concerned with). I would never hire someone with any sort of criminal record when the market is flooded with dozens of other non-criminal candidates. Just my two cents.....I'll probably get flamed for saying this but oh well. It needs to be said.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I suggest a defensive driving course (well HotelCo told me, I tell you). There are ones online. I did that because I had a couple points and the interviewer was pretty happy with that.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on which "record" you're talking about. If someone runs a criminal background check, it will show up unless it's been expunged. The safe bet is to assume it's going to follow you forever. Personally- speaking as a former supervisor- it's more a sign of exceptionally poor judgment than a liability issue when it comes to driving ambulances (which is what most people on this forum are concerned with). I would never hire someone with any sort of criminal record when the market is flooded with dozens of other non-criminal candidates. Just my two cents.....I'll probably get flamed for saying this but oh well. It needs to be said.

This is unfortunate that you feel this way, I am sure there are many fine candidates who at one time made a poor choice in judgment, but have since learned and have grown into responsible people. People deserve a second chance, God offers redemption, why can't you?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
This is unfortunate that you feel this way, I am sure there are many fine candidates who at one time made a poor choice in judgment, but have since learned and have grown into responsible people. People deserve a second chance, God offers redemption, why can't you?
It's not my job.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Honestly, I'm with USAF on that one. If the OP is from an area totally flooded with EMT Bs, it may not be worth it to them when there are plenty of EMTs without a criminal record. Employers are going to want to minimize any potential extra costs, and insuring someone with a DUI likely falls into that category.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Has anyone heard of someone with a dui ever getting hired as a emt b before?

Nope but I've heard of someone being elected president of the United States with one :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not my job.

I am not surprised by your response considering many of your previous post, and quite frankly I don't care. Thankfully not all feel as you do, I once had a infraction that left me with a record, but luckily someone gave me a second chance and ever since then I have not betrayed the faith they had in me.

Last edited by a moderator:

cletus

Forum Ride Along
In my area, if you've had any infraction within the last five years-misdemeanor or otherwise- the county gives you a probationary certification to practice. That means when asked: "is your certification/ license in good standing and free of restrictions" the answer is no it's not. At least you can still get certified to work in the county.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
In my area, if you've had any infraction within the last five years-misdemeanor or otherwise- the county gives you a probationary certification to practice. That means when asked: "is your certification/ license in good standing and free of restrictions" the answer is no it's not. At least you can still get certified to work in the county.

I had a DUI 17 years ago, and since that time, not so much as a parking ticket, but if you go by some on here, I should be banished for life.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Worked with an EMT-Basic going to Paramedic school, 2 weeks before he finished, got a DUI, and was not hired on as a Medic with the company he worked with will in school. And he was not allowed to stay on as an EMT-B.
It depends on "who" you work for.

Hockey

Quackers
Yup. I had a partner who is now a damn good Paramedic. Got 2. He is also now a supervisor. People learn from their mistakes.

You might face some difficulty though obtaining your license though...

harryb714

Forum Crew Member
Yup. I had a partner who is now a damn good Paramedic. Got 2. He is also now a supervisor. People learn from their mistakes.

You might face some difficulty though obtaining your license though...

If people learn from their mistakes does that mean he is 2x as smart as someone who only got 1?

Anjel

Forum Angel
DUI's are unacceptable You could kill innocent people.

However, yes people do get hired and learn from their mistakes. But 2 of them? No I would never hire someone with 2. And I understand if it was when they were 21 and they are not 30 or something. But a 21(which I am 21) who just got one doesn't learn that fast. Just my opinion.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I am not surprised by your response considering many of your previous post, and quite frankly I don't care. Thankfully not all feel as you do, I once had a infraction that left me with a record, but luckily someone gave me a second chance and ever since then I have not betrayed the faith they had in me.
It's not that I don't believe people should be allowed to move on with their lives, it's just that I believe that they shouldn't be give a free pass after breaking a law. If you make bad choices because of stupidity, ignorance, laziness, mental defect or whatever else you chalk it up to then you're going to find doors closed. It's one of the great conundrums of society and why we have to educate young people to be so careful in their early years.