Dual Sequential Defibrillation

coolidge

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone recall reading a report/story about the use of two AEDs at the same time? And if so, where the reference is found.....Thanks

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Why would you ever use two AEDs at the same time? There is zero reason whatsoever to support a benefit for that...

Also if this is an ALS related discussion, why is an AED being used and not a monitor :/

mikie

Forum Lurker
Try looking up Double Sequential Defibrillation

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Try looking up Double Sequential Defibrillation

Now that makes more sense to me.

That would be done using a pair of monitors though, not using AEDs.

AEDs could not possibly achieve that.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Dual device defibrillation is being used around here for refractive v-fib. Apparently it's been showing decent results.

We had a refractive V-fibber last week that was shocked 7 times between fire and us. Converted to asystole before we gave the dual shock a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Double Sequential Defibrillation
there was an article about it in Jems or Emergency mag. last year. I cant remember which

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Dueling AED's?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Doing it down here, considerable on the third shock and beyond. Haven't personally had to do it yet, though.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Dueling AED's?
deliverance_dueling_banjos.jpg

Dualing AEDs... making patients squeal like a pig since 1972.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
For the double sequential defib how are you guys placing your pads? I started a thread about it a while back when I saw something on WCEMS website about it. They seem to put the pads next to eachother.

I could see apex/sternum and posterior/anterior working well with the different vectors, I don't see the point of dual apex/sternum placement.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We do apex/sternum unless it doesn't fit well on the pt, then we go front/back.

Rob: The way our Med Director explained it to me was like upping the dose of medication. If X amount of Y drug isn't working, you need to up the dose or it will continue to not have the desired effect. Especially since shocking isn't a cumulative effect between shocks. So it's not necessarily the placement and trying to affect more vectors, but upping the "dose". Now, I haven't done enough research on it to be able to determine if that's a very reasonable simile or if he was trying to explain it to me like a 4th grader. :unsure:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Well I guess he was talking to me like a 4th grader :( Your post prompted some quick journal searches, all of which confirmed this. Thanks n7 :p

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well I guess he was talking to me like a 4th grader :( Your post prompted some quick journal searches, all of which confirmed this. Thanks n7 :p

Or perhaps he doesn't understand the mechanism of action. ;)

It's an interesting concept. I won't be surprised when, in the future, we are issued the new LP115 with 4 pads, able to deliver sequential shocks. ;)

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Our service has been considering doing a study on this. They are currently working on the continuous cpr during defib.