drunkies

DavethetrainWreck

Forum Probie
hey how do you guys transport a highly intoxicated person? what position are they in? i would assume theyre placed in the lateral position with suction ready to go when they vomit ....?
it depends if they're unconscious we transport them in recovery with suction ready. if they're conscious we walk them to the ambulance sit them on the bench seat and have a basin ready just in case.

mariat753

Forum Probie
The majority of drunks got the bench seat, belted in. I would never finger sweep a drunk, that's asking to lose a finger. I've transported literally hundreds of drunks (okay, the same three homeless guys made up a few hundred), and I couldn't even use the fingers of one hand to count the ones I had to suction. Most had learned by after a certain number of drinks the ER had a toasty bed for them.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
Depends on the LOC. Drunk but can walk? They sit on the bench. Drunk & can't walk? Sitting on the strecher. "Drunk" with a decreased LOC? Recovery position with close observation as you never really know what else may be going on, medical conditions, drugs, etc. I would never stick my finger in someone's mouth. I like my fingers.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on the LOC. Drunk but can walk? They sit on the bench. Drunk & can't walk? Sitting on the strecher. "Drunk" with a decreased LOC? Recovery position with close observation as you never really know what else may be going on, medical conditions, drugs, etc. I would never stick my finger in someone's mouth. I like my fingers.

Even if they swallowed their tongue? ^_^