Drugs. Ugh.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Say it aint so!:unsure:

Do you need an intervention?

Bahaha. For my panic attack? Or the fact I really don't wanna be a Paramedic?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Either/Or.

Take your pick, I'm feeling generous. B)

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Either/Or.

Take your pick, I'm feeling generous. B)

Haha. I want to be a nurse, I've always wanted to be a nurse, but when I applied to nursing school the waiting list was too long and I was too impatient and EMT school was available right then, liked it in school so I went to Medic.

That's probably why I'm having such a hard time with drugs, I'm so impatient and it's frustrating that I'm not getting it right away. I'm used to always getting things right away. It was a joke in EMT school "Does Sasha even know where her book is?" because I learned the first time, from the lecture, got A's, and didn't need to study. And here I am, not getting it the first twenty thousand times, and it's frustrating the heck out of me!

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
You will probably hate me, but welcome to the real world.

Keep on keepin on baby!

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
You will probably hate me, but welcome to the real world.

Keep on keepin on baby!

Haha. I am, I am. It'll click eventually, but until it does I'm going to continue to be very very... VERY frustrated.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hang in there Sasha, remember, its always darkest before it goes pitch black.

Oh no. It's not the drugs, I made the decision looong before I tried to learn the drugs.

The only EMSy position I've ever considered staying for is Flight, but I squashed that when I went on an airplane for the first time. I gripped my seat with white knuckles and everytime we hit a bit of turbulance I felt compelled to remind my friend that whatever happens, I love her, but I'm not above using her as a floation device :]

And I'm afraid of heights.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Browse through these sites:

http://nursingpharmacology.info/index.htm

http://biochemistry.ucsf.edu/programs/ptf/Prologue Links/Intro Pharmacology.pdf

This is why I encourage all to take college level A&P, Pathophysiology, Microbiology and at least an Intro to Chemistry. And then, tackle the two semesters of college level pharmacology.

I also recommend a journal club where you and your classmates or co-workers have to come up with a relevant article about some medication each week...and not from JEMS. But, you can use the references in JEMS at the end of each article.

Example:
Etomindate
http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14082&highlight=

If you want to be a nurse, there are many opportunities for specialized teams that may be of interest to you. Right now I think the transplant teams are fascinating in all aspects from organ procurement to post op and follow up. Also, the cardiac teams and ICUs that specialize in every possible piece of technology and technique to keep the heart, real or artificial, beating is another great area of medicine. Trauma ICU, not just the ED, is another specialty that is fascinating.

As a nurse, you can climb the clinical ladder at a progressive hospital to where you would not ever have a boring moment.

But, get you foundation established while you are working in EMS. Take the classes that transfer and can be used by any college or university you choose. Don't waste time with classes that have nice instructors but don't know how to teach. You may hate some of the teachers you have at a college but that should just make you more determined to pass and not repeat the class a second time.

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
... I think things will really start "clicking" for you when you begin your preceptorship and actually begin using them.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
We do the preceptorship all along with class. I've been cursed with a white cloud for rides. No joke, one time I was at an FD and they told me they had a code every day before lunch time for the past week and a half and have been running their bums off. Wanna know how many calls we got the 16 hours I was there? Zero.

But I'd like to thank everyone who has given advice! It's not as futile as I thought, I had began writing, grouping, etc. the drugs and today in class we ran a bunch of scenarios, I'm learning the drugs better than I thought! Thank you thank you!!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We do the preceptorship all along with class. I've been cursed with a white cloud for rides. No joke, one time I was at an FD and they told me they had a code every day before lunch time for the past week and a half and have been running their bums off. Wanna know how many calls we got the 16 hours I was there? Zero.

But I'd like to thank everyone who has given advice! It's not as futile as I thought, I had began writing, grouping, etc. the drugs and today in class we ran a bunch of scenarios, I'm learning the drugs better than I thought! Thank you thank you!!

Curse of the rider. Happens to everyone. The minute a student or somebody that wants some action shows up, you can take your boots off and chill until they leave. 5 minutes after they do, you will not rest till an hour after shift.