driving

HFD EMS

Forum Probie
Oh and with that note make sure that you clear your intersection atleast twice because you never know what idiot is going to pull out infront of you because they think they are in more of a hurry than a major trauma pt that is coding. Common Sense Never Seems to Prevail.:sad:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
We used to take all our new people and strap them on a long board, load them into the rig and take them on a nice long code 3 ride around the community college parking lot on a Saturday morning. The drivers were the experienced medics and EMT's who'd been doing it for awhile and had experienced most of the usual stuff. Made a lasting impression on the student care-givers in the back, as well as the "patients" (everyone got to do both roles at least once).

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Tincanfireman said:
We used to take all our new people and strap them on a long board, load them into the rig and take them on a nice long code 3 ride around the community college parking lot on a Saturday morning. The drivers were the experienced medics and EMT's who'd been doing it for awhile and had experienced most of the usual stuff. Made a lasting impression on the student care-givers in the back, as well as the "patients" (everyone got to do both roles at least once).

We got to do that around the FD training yard. They also had us practice CPR on a gurney in the back of the rig while they drove around like farkin' maniacs. Those CPR dummies that give you feedback are pretty cool. ;-D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
ffemt8978 said:
We tell all of our drivers the same thing but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

One of our rigs was transporting a critical patient to the hospital, Code 3. Driver was proceeding through an intersection, WITH the light, and was t-boned by a vehicle that ran the red light.

On one corner of the intersection was a local fire truck (not our department), and on another was a city cop; both of whom witnessed the accident.
This happened to us TODAY...

The whole front end of the rig is trashed... bottom half of the bumper is leaning against the back wall of the bay... etc.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I like the idea of strapping the new medic to a backboard and coding them around, so they get a feel for it.

I also love my partners who would say "clear right" and verbalize the intersections with me.

We'd approach and I'd say "Clear left, clear front" and they'd check the right and verbalize. I'd still check the right, but it was nice to know that they were looking out for me. We also had a STOP! command that we both understood would involve an immediate stop, no matter how hard.

It's still hard coding on an ambulance with the RLS. I'd like to start a public education campaign, but I never got around to it.

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
Our company will hire 18 and older, but due to insurance policys noone under the ag of 23 is permitted to drive...we have one guy that is 22 years old, we use him to do our paperwork ha ha ha...getting him experianced in the RAL world of emt as far as all the legalities go....

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
FIRST AND FOREMOST.....There is NO SHAME in hitting a Fire Truck. None. If they park all screwed up, how do they expect you NOT to hit them.....

Okay...seriously though...

If the light is red, stop. Even if your going emergency response. Do not ever blow through any intersection. Even when you have everyone coming stopped, as your creep through that intersection, be prepared for some idiot on a cell phone or otherwise not paying attention to pull in front of you because they have the green.

Do your best not to give up the left lane when driving emergency. The second you decide to go around someone on the right, whether at an intersection or going down the road, somebody will remember the "Pull to the right" rule and yank their vehicle right in front of you.

Don't chat on your cell phone while driving. Any type of driving, but especially while driving with those lights and sirens on. Its hard enough getting through intersections, watching out for the other guy, listening to your partner give you directions to the call/ or if you have mine to look at the map book when she says "See, its right here", listening to the dispatch information, not running little dogs over, watching out for the curb, using some of those emergency manuevers when the car in front of you deploys their protective bubble that prevents you from hitting them as they come to a complete stop in the middle of the road, and mentally prepare for the child in cardiac arrest or unknown medical or whatever it is that you are going to. Just PUT THE CELL PHONE AWAY!!

Remember, when your driving and their is a patient in the back, whatever your feeling up front, they are feeling 10 fold back there. Take it easy on the stops, start slowly, turn corners even slower. Its a bad day for everyone when the medic looses their tube or ends up on their butt because you took a corner at 20 MPH and that was to fast.

and it couldn't have been said better than to practice. Lots of practice. Go to a parking lot and drive your partner around with them in the back. Then switch, so you get the feel. Have your expierienced partner give you a really smooth ride, and then intentionally give you a horrible ride.

Practice. and Practice some more.

OH..and know how tall your unit is. That way you don't drive under the awning at a nursing home and get stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

FF894

Forum Captain
We have a department driving instructor that takes all newbies out for training. Once signed off by the driving instructor, you still need to be signed off to drive by your crew chief.

I have my CDL so its like driving a radio flyer wagon to me B)