Driving an Ambulance

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
...gather the FNG's and a brand new ambulance in a parking lot. One by one, each Newbie (no one riding shotgun) drives the ambulance through drills; most of which should be in reverse. Familiarization with turning radius, slalom-type maneuvers, emergency braking (wet and dry) should all be done with the liberal use of traffic cones.

You've all heard this before but my only modification is that your fellow FNG's be the traffic cones.

That would be a very effective approach. Our company everyone has to take turns being strapped to a long board on the cot while someone else drives. It's amazing how quickly some people improve their driving after getting off the cot.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
From THIS week's American Journal of Emergency Medicine:

Taken from pubmed (emphasis added).
I have the full article for those interested, but don't want to share it publicly (I got it through institutional access).

this was on the front page of EMS1 and the docs over there pretty much ripped the study apart, their methods were poor, the control wasnt, and a number of other problems made them say the test results wouldnt be accurate

also, when we get drivers training, the new guys get placed in full cspine precautions, strapped to the cot and driven around. then they make you guess the speed your driving and turning at. pretty eye opening

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
also, when we get drivers training, the new guys get placed in full cspine precautions, strapped to the cot and driven around. then they make you guess the speed your driving and turning at. pretty eye opening

I am stealing this and using it for all the guys who toss me around when I'm in the back

fafinaf

Forum Probie
did you know that going lights and sirens increases the chances of an accident to 75%? that's a scary thought. a 15,000 lb ambulance takes a little more time to stop then a car. takes some people a little to figure that out.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
did you know that going lights and sirens increases the chances of an accident to 75%? that's a scary thought. a 15,000 lb ambulance takes a little more time to stop then a car. takes some people a little to figure that out.

Cite your source, please.

fafinaf

Forum Probie
my instructors at school always told us that.. i'm not sure where they got it from. maybe they kept telling us that to drill the importance of safe driving to us.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Cite your source, please.

Additionally, what does that statement even mean? Increases chances of an accident to 75%...so running priority means that you are 75% more likely to be involved in a crash? Compared to what?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Additionally, what does that statement even mean? Increases chances of an accident to 75%...so running priority means that you are 75% more likely to be involved in a crash? Compared to what?
Compared to BANANAS!

400px-SuddenlyBananas.jpg

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Concentrating on L&S driving while also trying to navigate.

Selecting options at crowded intersections. Pass on the left, the right, split the traffic or just stop. I'm always inclined to just stop.

My driving standards facilitator said I'm too cautious. I don't agree. I don't see the need to drive down the wrong side of the road to a nose bleed. Besides, at the end of the day, if it losing a few seconds really did hurt the pt, better them than me.

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
My bigest problem was i was use to driving firetrucks emergency traffic and then going to the truck its really diffrent.