Driving amongst the civvies

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
I'm curious about this, as I think it's a problem as of late. I'd like to know if others feel likewise. Do civilians know the proper procedure of giving way to an oncoming/coming up from behind ambulance? I see plenty of people pull over to the side and stop with blinkers on, but I've also seen people pull over, only to keep on rolling, not coming to a complete stop. I've also seen people not pull over at all if the ambulance is in front of them(i.e.-onwards towards them) Sometimes I'd like for some depty to catch people, but 9 times out of 10, they are already at the scene or not at the right place at the right time. The absolute worst event was to see a car at a stop light and a fire engine behind it, horns blaring and sirens going off. The moron stayed put.<_< I always have been of the opinion that fire personnel should have the right to "nudge" people from behind, cross-traffic not withstanding.;)

Any experiences you guys care to share?

medic258

Forum Crew Member
This happens all day every day. Sometimes people panic when an emergency vehicle comes up behind them. People will pull to the left or just stop in the middle of traffic. Just be prepared at all times when behind the wheel and watch your speed. An extra 10mph is not going to make that much of a difference while en route to the call or hospital. "Nudging" people sounds all well and good but is dangerous. Boston EMS put big cow catcher bumpers on they're trucks years ago and they hit and killed (if I recall correctly) a civilian. Good luck with your driving and stay safe.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The absolute worst event was to see a car at a stop light and a fire engine behind it, horns blaring and sirens going off. The moron stayed put.<_< I always have been of the opinion that fire personnel should have the right to "nudge" people from behind, cross-traffic not withstanding.;)

"Blasting" a car into the intersection against the light, into cross traffic can have deadly results.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Personally if I get stuck in a light, and am can get over to challenge traffic on the other side, I'll shut the siren down, sometimes shut the lights down too, and just ride it out. Its not worth my job or life, or the life of someone else trying to get to a call (exception PD/FD/EMS coworker help call or injury, but still cautious) Just advise radio that you will be delayed due to gridlocked traffic so it won't count against you on the time. Once the light goes green, hang the diesel drip wide open again.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My husband had an incident just the other day, running lights and sirens in the ladder truck. The opticom changed the lights for them and they had some idiot come around from behind the car stopped at the now red light and enter the intersection in front of them. I guess the guy was late for something really important and figured traffic lights and the big red truck were not as important as his plans.

Luckily the truck missed him. Hubby said it all happened so fast, he didn't even have time to hit the breaks or attempt to miss the guy. I do think he had time to mutter a bit of verbalization about the gentleman's parentage.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember, we only ask for the... "right of away. Their are idiots everywhere, and this is just part of the job. I have not seen any decreasing amount in the past 30 years.

Again, the need of EVOC trainining should never be questioned.

R/r 911

MtJerry

Forum Crew Member
I'm curious about this, as I think it's a problem as of late. I'd like to know if others feel likewise. Do civilians know the proper procedure of giving way to an oncoming/coming up from behind ambulance? I see plenty of people pull over to the side and stop with blinkers on, but I've also seen people pull over, only to keep on rolling, not coming to a complete stop. I've also seen people not pull over at all if the ambulance is in front of them(i.e.-onwards towards them) Sometimes I'd like for some depty to catch people, but 9 times out of 10, they are already at the scene or not at the right place at the right time. The absolute worst event was to see a car at a stop light and a fire engine behind it, horns blaring and sirens going off. The moron stayed put.<_< I always have been of the opinion that fire personnel should have the right to "nudge" people from behind, cross-traffic not withstanding.;)

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but I hate when people are referred to as "civilians." They are citizens. We are not the military, we are citizens as well..

Now, as to the original question, emergency response has been, and always will be a tenuious issues as long as there are vehicles on the road. Driving with blink-blinks and woo-woos is a way for us to expidite our response. It's never going to be like beaming to the scene from the starship enterprise.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I do like to watch the proverbial "ambulance chasers"-- those who, as soon as we pass try to sneak in behind us to beat the traffic. They always end up tailgating us and causing more problems, but it is funny!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My part-time employer's "Employee Manual" has a 7-page section on operating an ambulance. One of the rules of driving emergently is that if we approch an intersection and have no way through the traffic until the light changes... we must shut down all lights/sirens and wait for the light to change, so as to not cause someone to do something stupid. The rule actually makes sense, and I've turned off the siren on my dirver a few times at the vollie squad, beasue we have one traffic light in the central buisness district that has a spotty opticom... we can't go anywhere until the light changes... so don't stress everyone out.

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
Unfortunately there are people out there who are too absorbed in their own life to watch or listen to anything else going on around them. Yesterday I was on my way to do a transport/lift assist. Not even running lights and sirens, another driver almost hit someone else, as we approached the intersection. He was to busy watching the ambulance pass infront of him. I cant imagine if I were running lights/sirens what would have happened. On the other hand, we were running hot (58y/o female compaining weakness slight chest pain O2 @ 82 percent when we arrived, Started on 10 liters of O2, saturation only rose to 92 percent) and the PD ran intercept for us even though we did not request. Our Local PD'S are great when it comes to assisting us in any situation.

certguy

Forum Captain
Crazies are everywhere

Over the years I've found that in both EMS and public transportation the other drivers out there just don't care . In 8 years of EMS , I was in 4 accidents and 3 of which I was at a dead stop waiting for lights at intersections ! ( rear -ended twice , rolled into once , the first one put me on work comp for a month and a half ) Ems crews have an advantage I don't as a bus driver , extra pairs of eyes . If you're pt. man keep alert and help your partner . The one accident I was moving in we got cut off by a carload of teenagers on the way to a call and my partner spotted the danger the same time I did . If I would've been distracted , things may have been worse if she hadn't have been watching .

CERTGUY

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Safe driving and the public

As I have said before and will never stop repeating it; We have to look out for ourselves and for the public.......-_-