driver vs attendant

whiteoleander28

Forum Probie
hello all...I'm here with another newbie q

I went in to apply at ambulance co and as I was leaving the woman told me that they were only hiring drivers...the main difference between driver and attendant is obvious but how much patient contact will the driver have? I suppose I was under the impression that driver and attendant would switch, and that their responsibilities would be fairly equal....

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
hello all...I'm here with another newbie q

I went in to apply at ambulance co and as I was leaving the woman told me that they were only hiring drivers...the main difference between driver and attendant is obvious but how much patient contact will the driver have? I suppose I was under the impression that driver and attendant would switch, and that their responsibilities would be fairly equal....

Hmm, Since its a Private Ambulance Company they might mean they are only hiring driver EMT's. Most companies restrict driving to 21+. Usually the Driver and attendant switch after every job, or every day.

Only place Ive heard of Strictly Drivers is Volly squads, I never knew companies did it.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I also applied for an attendant position because I'm only 19. I think if it's a BLS ambulance, obviously 2 EMT's can switch (unless, like me, one is under 21) But if it's ALS (an EMT and a medic) then the EMT is most likely going to be the driver. I think they only divide it into "driver" and "attendant" if one person is under 21 and it is a BLS rig.

Jeremy

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
WoW! It's been nearly been 35 years since I heard that terminology.. driver-attendant?

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It is still in some statutes although I personally have not seen a BLS ambulance with less than two EMTs in recent times.

Ambulances that are operated solely for the purpose of transporting a Specialty Team may use a driver who is not an EMT.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/demo/EMS/RulesStatutes/CHAPTER401July12008.pdf

(7)(a) Each permitted basic life support
ambulance not specifically exempted
from this part, when transporting a
person who is sick, injured, wounded,
incapacitated, or helpless, must be
occupied by at least two persons: one
patient attendant who is a certified
emergency medical technician, certified
paramedic, or licensed physician; and
one ambulance driver who meets the
requirements of s. 401.281. This
paragraph does not apply to interfacility
transfers governed by s. 401.252(1).

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Here's the letter I got from a job application recently:

Jeremy

I have pulled your application, currently at this time we do not have any open positions for attendants. Thank you for applying for PMT Ambulance, we will keep your application on file for

6 months. You will also receive a letter In the mail

Apparently it is still a term used commonly at least with this company.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As more and more companies mandate higher minimum driving ages and cleaner driving records to help reduce their insurance costs, they find themselves needing to hire people who can drive. Some places hire both drivers and non-drivers, and some will not hire someone who is unable to drive the ambulance.

The transport company I work at occasionally has non-drivers, and there are some people who don't like to drive, but will when needed. I've got no problem driving - but when I work transport (once or twice a year), I usually let my partner drive because I have NO CLUE where I'm going.

Some places around me hire people to drive ambulances who aren't EMT’s... then gives them EVOC and a basic EMR class, and cuts them loose to drive (because PA allows that, even on paid rigs).

At the volunteer squad, we have a VERY rigorous driver training program. This means that many people become Crew Chiefs before they are drivers. This also means that are drivers tend to be experienced EMT’s who have been around for a while.

When I work and volunteer on a BLS ambulance, my partner is OFTEN qualified to drive, but not always. When they are qualified, we usually switch, otherwise I get to drive all the time.

At work on the ALS ambulance… I usually drive, except for BLS transports… then my partner drives. Unless my partner wants to drive… then I ride.

Anway – to get back to the OP’s question:
If you are the driver, you will assist in the lifting/moving of the patient, assist in any needed patient care before you start the transport, then assist at the destination. Then you clean up the rig and return it to service (restock, change sheets on cot, clean up and put stuff away in the rig) then you go to then next assignment. You don’t have to worry as much about the paperwork. This is the enjoyment for those of us who have been doing this awhile… but the downside for the new folks is you don’t get any documentation practice.

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
I will let you know what PMT tells me. I am going to app with them in a few weeks.. I have an interview setup with Life Line out of Prescott first.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I will let you know what PMT tells me. I am going to app with them in a few weeks.. I have an interview setup with Life Line out of Prescott first.

Don't count on anything anytime soon. I've been fighting with them just to get Kellie (she's in charge of hiring) to look at my application. You'll get the "I get over 200 apps a day..... I'll get to yours when I can", etc. I work at a local hospital and see EMT's there all the time. PMT guys tell me they're always hiring Basics (as long as you're old enough to drive).

Good luck!
Jeremy

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
It is still in some statutes although I personally have not seen a BLS ambulance with less than two EMTs in recent times.

Ambulances that are operated solely for the purpose of transporting a Specialty Team may use a driver who is not an EMT.

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/demo/EMS/RulesStatutes/CHAPTER401July12008.pdf

(7)(a) Each permitted basic life support
ambulance not specifically exempted
from this part, when transporting a
person who is sick, injured, wounded,
incapacitated, or helpless, must be
occupied by at least two persons: one
patient attendant who is a certified
emergency medical technician, certified
paramedic, or licensed physician; and
one ambulance driver who meets the
requirements of s. 401.281. This
paragraph does not apply to interfacility
transfers governed by s. 401.252(1).

It also depends on the state where you live. Here in MS, an EMT is an EMT, they must also have their Emergency Medical Services Driver (EMSD) - your ambulance driver's license. A driver, is nothing more than someone with their EMSD. They don't get paid as much as an EMT. They are not supposed to have anything to do with pt care as they are not officially trained for it, but guess what ends up happening. Ah, the bliss of skirting around formalities.

zippyRN

Forum Ride Along
WoW! It's been nearly been 35 years since I heard that terminology.. driver-attendant?

R/r 911

rid in terms of the division of labour on scene and deciding who drives and who is in the back with the patient what terminology do you suggest?