Drawing the line with head injuries

chri1017

Forum Probie
Out of curiosity where do most people draw the line with spinall immobolization and a minor head injury. Say you had a patient who fell and injured there arm, with a minor contusion on there head, would you immobolize? Lets say that the patient is CAOX3, denies LOC, and does not complain of any neck/back pain.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For that patient, using my protocols we would not backboard.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Again:
ahade2u3.jpg

A good place for you to start would be to research Canadian C Spine Rules and NEXUS Criteria

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Out of curiosity where do most people draw the line with spinall immobolization and a minor head injury. Say you had a patient who fell and injured there arm, with a minor contusion on there head, would you immobolize? Lets say that the patient is CAOX3, denies LOC, and does not complain of any neck/back pain.

a fall from standing height with no deficits or midline pain is not an indication for smr. I wouldn't even need to go through our "clearance guideline" on this one as I do not suspect a c-spine injury.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nope. Not gonna do it

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Arm injury from a fall with a minor head contusion... Hmm. No. No spine board for YOU! While I may have other concerns about a closed head injury, I have none about cervical spine injury.

My treatment plan would likely consist of treating/immobilizing the arm PRN, sitting patient in a position of comfort, transport to patient's hospital of choice, monitor for signs of developing CHI, including concussion.

What do I normally use? My protocols. Sometimes they suck... but if my patient doesn't need it and I can articulate why...

What else do I use? Mechanism of Injury. No mechanism = no injury. Positive MOI = I look for injury where MOI tells me it's likely to be. No findings of injury = actual injury not likely. MOI correlates horribly with actual injury presence, but it correlates nicely when actual injury is present. In other words, MOI tells me where to look, nothing more than that.

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
unfortunately, my protocol says yes cause there is trauma to the head.... personally if i had my way, no.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This help?

all_face_lines.png

Follow your protocols.;)

Nickoliah123

Forum Ride Along
i am in an intensive EMTB course right now and they would kill me if i didnt....as the other guy said though, if i had it my way i wouldnt

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
i am in an intensive EMTB course right now and they would kill me if i didnt....as the other guy said though, if i had it my way i wouldnt

Is there such thing as an "intensive" EMT-B course? :lol:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Is there such thing as an "intensive" EMT-B course? :lol:

Duh. They teach intense stuff like......

21625406.jpg

And so I don't get in trouble...

I would not immobilize this patient. Only if the had neck or back pain or lost consciousness. Per protocol.

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
One of my agencies would have me written up for backboarding this patient, the other would have me written up for NOT backboarding this patient.

But if I had my way, this patient wouldn't be anywhere near a backboard.

LEB343

Forum Probie
I got b*tched out by a nurse the other day for bringing a woman in not back boarded after being punched in the head. I stated pt consumed alcohol 6 hours prior to the event and he wanted her back boarded because alcohol was involved. Pt was not clinically intoxicated and did not complaint of neck or back pain. I don't get it...

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
We use the Maine c-spine r/o. If you're familiar with it, it could be shortened extensively if it just said "board all patients".

That being said, no I would not board this patient and no I would not get in trouble for it.

As soon as the new protocols are finished, we are ditching boards anyway.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
a fall from standing height with no deficits or midline pain is not an indication for smr. I wouldn't even need to go through our "clearance guideline" on this one as I do not suspect a c-spine injury.

You mean a "standing takedown" wouldn't be indicated?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

The one and only reason I would use C-Spine restrictions with the above "complaints" would be if my hands on assessment showed something different than the initial complaints.

Speaking as someone who's had a broken neck. The odds of someone moving their neck with an unstable cervical fracture are extremely remote. Not impossible, but unlikely. Why? Because that @#$% hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The one and only reason I would use C-Spine restrictions with the above "complaints" would be if my hands on assessment showed something different than the initial complaints.

Speaking as someone who's had a broken neck. The odds of someone moving their neck with an unstable cervical fracture are extremely remote. Not impossible, but unlikely. Why? Because that @#$% hurts.

What? Common sense and practical personal experience? Are you daft?! We can't have that here!!!
the-scarlet-pimpernel-prince.jpg

Actually a good point. The initial and most urgent reason for prehospital cervical immobilization was (fill in the blank) :_____________________________________________.

Yes, because rescuers were killing people extricating them from MVA's in pre-safety features cars...or as they called it, "pulling folks out of wrecks".

Last edited by a moderator: