Do you pack heat?

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
I don't mean to come off as a hippy or anything, but truthfully, how often do we really hear of instances when carrying/owning a weapon was actually beneficial in a time of dire circumstances? I think we see more instances were gun owners children get a hold of their weapons and kill themselves, or gun owners shoot themselves while "playing" with their guns, then times when they were actually beneficial against crime.

Two shot in South Richmond store

By Reed Williams
Published: July 12, 2009

A gunman who had wounded a shopkeeper and opened fire on several customers was stopped yesterday when another man shot him at the store in South Richmond, authorities said.

The violent attempted robbery took place shortly after 1 p.m. at the Golden Food Market at 2701 Jefferson Davis Highway, the same store where another man was shot last month -- and only three blocks from the scene of another robbery in June that left a shopkeeper dead.

Owners of as many as a dozen Jefferson Davis-area businesses flocked to the scene of the shooting, and many were rattled by such a brazen daylight attack, said Councilwoman Reva Trammell, whose 8th District includes the Jefferson Davis corridor.

Click the link below read the rest of the article.

1. Williams, Reed. "Two shot in South Richmond store." www2.timesdispatch.com. Richmond Times-Dispatch, 12 Jul 2009. Web. 7 Nov 2010. <http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2009/jul/12/shot121_20090711-230802-ar-37595/>.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
LoneStar: Utah and Florida CCW licenses offer a fair amount of reciprocity. The downside, Utah and Florida require an approved instructor... Hopefully you can find one that can do the training. With the right combination of licenses, you should be able to carry in probably 40-ish states.

California's requirements for the initial training can vary widely.

reaper

Working Bum
What is funny, is that GA and SC border FL. Neither accept FL's CWP. GA and SC do not honor each others CWP.

Here's the funny part. If I have my SC CWP, I can mail an application and $20 to Maryland and receive their CWP. GA does accept a Maryland CWP, so I am good crossing state lines. Maryland does not require residency for their CWP.

I think the Feds just need to issue a CWP and it is good in any state that has carry laws. Make it a lot easier and more uniform.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
plus factor in some states that require you to be a resident of the state whose CCW you hold for them to recognize it, and it gets even more confusing

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
An easier way to allow carry is to do reciprocal agreements in a manner that's much like a driver's license. You have a CCW from your home state, you're good in all 50 and territories.

reaper

Working Bum
The only way for that to work is for all states to allow CC. Then have them all follow sames rules.

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
What is funny, is that GA and SC border FL. Neither accept FL's CWP. GA and SC do not honor each others CWP.

Here's the funny part. If I have my SC CWP, I can mail an application and $20 to Maryland and receive their CWP. GA does accept a Maryland CWP, so I am good crossing state lines. Maryland does not require residency for their CWP.

I think the Feds just need to issue a CWP and it is good in any state that has carry laws. Make it a lot easier and more uniform.

GA does have a reciprocity agreement with FL.

SC only has reciprocity with 17 states.

There is (or was last I knew) legislation trying to work its way through Capitol Hill regarding a federal firearms license, so that one could potentially carry concealed weapons in all 50 states.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
GA does have a reciprocity agreement with FL.

SC only has reciprocity with 17 states.

There is (or was last I knew) legislation trying to work its way through Capitol Hill regarding a federal firearms license, so that one could potentially carry concealed weapons in all 50 states.
The only CCW legislation that has actually gotten through Congress is the LEOSA of 2004 and an amendment this year that clarifies things a little bit. CCW for non-LE hasn't yet gotten far. One issue with the LEOSA is that it doesn't exempt the "QLEO" from any provisions of any Federal or State GFSZA. Once I have my valid CCW, I can carry on a school campus and I will not be committing a crime under Fed or State law, or be within 1,000 feet of that school, no crime. This is not true for a QLEO who is not carrying as part of his official duties (aka "on duty").

I will eventually have Oregon, Utah, Nevada, and Washington CCW licenses also. This combination will allow me to carry in every state that I would ever travel to, unless I go east of the Rockies... and even the, I'd still have some reciprocity in those states too.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Gah all this state-level legislation is too bloody confusing for Brown

You know that $10 Saturday night special that you can throw in the river is probably cheaper than all those gun permits.

Or just get yourself a sniper rifle so you can take em out two miles away and nobody knows about it .... perhaps from the trunk of your car? :D

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I have CWP's in NJ, PA, FL, MD, and UT. It lets me carry in most states that I go to on a regular basis. Except nyc

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I have CWP's in NJ, PA, FL, MD, and UT. It lets me carry in most states that I go to on a regular basis. Except nyc

Who do you know or blow to get that?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Utah, florida, and pennsylvania all issue non-resident permits.this lets me carry in 32 states. I got a permit while in college in PA and worked for a armored car service that crossed the maryland border regularly, so I got a permit in MD. I live in NJ and am friends with a chief of police who approved my permit for NJ

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
live in NJ and am friends with a chief of police who approved my permit for NJ
Hmm, I know a chief of police, I wonder if he can get me a CCW permit......

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I don't mean to come off as a hippy or anything, but truthfully, how often do we really hear of instances when carrying/owning a weapon was actually beneficial in a time of dire circumstances? I think we see more instances were gun owners children get a hold of their weapons and kill themselves, or gun owners shoot themselves while "playing" with their guns, then times when they were actually beneficial against crime.

Also, where do you think the majority of weapons used In crime come from? They are stolen or sold from gun owners. If the gun owner population goes down, the instances were guns are acquired to use In crime goes down.

Obviously some weapons are smuggled from other parts of the world, but we really don't have to dig too deep into the obvious in regards to crime statistics in other areas of the world. We have more murders in a day than some countries have in a year. It all goes back to Americans infatuation with Guns and their "constitutional right to bear arms."

Some interesting statistics. US ranked number 4 in regards to gun fatalities. The countries above them, are not nearly as advanced as we are. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms
Finally I found the link I was looking for.
http://www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm
Symbolic, I would like to invite you to spend a little time in my world, but since I understand that the presence of several firearms in my house and the fact that both my wife and myself carry any time we are not at work (she's self employed, so she actually carries at work) would be cause for you to tell us that we were trying to act "cool", I guess that will never happen. I often stop to help those who are broke down on the side of the road, and when doing so, I am armed 100% of the time. Why is this? Because I do not want to get injured or killed by someone I am trying to assist. I recently had to pull my weapon, but thankfully, I did not have to pull the trigger. I stopped to help a young couple who appeared to be broke down on the side of the road at about 0130 Saturday morning. My wife was in the car, where she stays when I get out to assess a vehicle situation, and she had her gun in her lap, right beside her cell with 911 punched up but not dialed. I walked up to the front of the other vehicle and asked how I could help the couple. The male pulled a knife and told me that I could give them my wallet. I reached back for my gun, which was holstered right above my right rear pocket (my wallet pocket, ironically) and drew down on the kid. I told him to go to the ground and my wife called it in, moving to cover the situation from the other side of the vehicle. Police arrived and the couple was arrested. Come to find out, this was the fourth time they had pulled this stunt within the past year. Three times, the victim had been stabbed after handing the wallet over.....I wonder what stopped him from stabbing his fourth victim? I have no desire to ever fire my gun at a human being, but I tell you this: had he came toward me with that knife I would have pulled that trigger without a thought, because at the end of the day, I am going to stay alive, even if that means I have to take a life to do so.
Just a thought.....

P.S.- Think about this Symbolic......under our laws, I would have been completely within my rights to have pulled that trigger.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
While this is a slight necropost... I just wanted to say that I did finally receive my CCW License. I can now legally carry a firearm in public, loaded. Unfortunately, since this isn't Utah, Florida, Washington, Oregon... or any of a bunch of other States, I am restricted to carrying what's specifically listed on my License.

LuvGlock

Forum Crew Member
Which I must say is one of the dumbest restrictions ever, FWIW.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I agree. I'm still findin out what a TX CHL entails, but in NM we had to qualify with either S/A or revolver (or both), and a certain caliber. We could carry whichever type of action, and the caliber qualified with or smaller. Needless to say most qualified with a .45 of some sort.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Personally, I think that a person should qualify with a semi-auto or revolver (or both) but not be limited to a particular caliber or specific listed firearm... if they're required to qualify at all. Some states simply look for a person taking some kind of training that has a shooting component to it and consider that sufficient, regardless of score. If you have the certificate of completion, you're good to go in their eyes. Getting a TX CHL shouldn't be all that difficult, and I believe, is Shall-Issue. You may not print, however. That may be considered the same as brandishing there. They want the concealed weapon to be very concealed...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
You may not print, however. That may be considered the same as brandishing there. They want the concealed weapon to be very concealed...

This is what I love about Michigan. We have open carry. The way the law works, if you have your CPL you can carry anywhere except courts, and federal property, provided you carry openly (as I do). Also, if you don't have your cpl you may carry openly with some restrictions.

I do hope that all states go to constitutional carry at some point.

Last edited by a moderator: