Do you pack heat?

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
id like to see more open carry. cant believe Texas dosent have it :(

Wow, I thought Texas was one of the states that did condone open carry. Learn something new everyday! :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wow, I thought Texas was one of the states that did condone open carry. Learn something new everyday! :)

Nope, but go next door to my home state and you can :) And one more over (AZ) has constitutional carry (all ways)

Probi

Forum Probie
you need to cowboy up and just get a grenade, or kick it old school with a stick of dynamite.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
I never carried when i was on Duty, but off duty I carry a sidearm 90+% of the time. I have my permit, and usually open carry (legal in indiana as is concealed) I have had to unholster my weapon once. I've never needed to discharge it except at a range. When I pulled it, I was in the gas station down the street at about 0300 getting milk, when some guy came in with a machete trying to rob the place. i pulled it and he dropped the blade and ran. no reports were filed.

Instances like that are why there are no records of a gun being used to protect oneself and not needing discharged. Having it alone is a detterent to crime near you.

Now that i run my own small shop, i keep one under the cash register, and its been pulled 4 times to stop a robbery... never had to fire it to stop the crime.

Usually just seeing the weapon makes most crooks turn and run.

at home there are several rifles and a shotgun... mainly used for hunting/target shooting... but i wouldnt reccomend trying to rob me.

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
Don'tcha just love it when the 'anti-gun crowd' tries to figure out why us 'gun toting rednecks' carry? I don't know who wrote this, but I agree with what it says:

I Don't Carry A Gun To:

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don’t carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry. I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don’t carry a gun because my sex organs are too small. I carry a gun because I want to continue to use those sex organs for the purpose for which they were intended for a good long time to come.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don’t carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

The misinformation spread by the Brady Center and celebrities like Oprah, Ellen DeGeneres and Rosie O'Donnell have done more to undermine the second amendment than can be truly be calculated.

I've worked some of the roughest areas of Metro Detroit. I didn't carry, but there were times I sure as hell wished I'd had something more substantial than a mag-lite!

Do I suffer from John Wayne-itis, or Clint Eastwood Syndrome? Not in the slightest. When it comes right down to it, I want to be proactive in my defense and the defense of those that cannot or will not take the same stance as I have.

You may have chosen to not have firearms in your life, but do NOT degrade me, browbeat me or otherwise berate or belittle me for my choice!

medic417

The Truth Provider
I like that LS. I don't force my choices on people they should not force theirs on me.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
There is actually a vollie department next to my dept that wears flak vest and pistols attached to there hips...

"They work in a dangerous area"

We are more south and closer to the danger then they are....

But I do own a pistol a Ruger P95 I do carry and down where I live the local Wal-Mart always have at least 2 citizens that are carrying (open.)

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Nope, but go next door to my home state and you can :) And one more over (AZ) has constitutional carry (all ways)

Not only that but concealed carry is allowed without a permit ;)

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Not only that but concealed carry is allowed without a permit ;)

Nice, with certain discretion. For concealed carry in NC you have to take a special class and have background checks like every 3 years, and if you're a convicted criminal (felon) you can't possess a firearm. It takes a long process for us to get concealed carry but IT IS WORTH IT!!!!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nice, with certain discretion. For concealed carry in NC you have to take a special class and have background checks like every 3 years, and if you're a convicted criminal (felon) you can't possess a firearm. It takes a long process for us to get concealed carry but IT IS WORTH IT!!!!

That sounds like most states. NM is like that.
And felons can't own firearms anywhere. That's federal law

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
I think its funny when people say "felons can't own firearms"

Criminals don't break the law on accident... If they are going to be carrying they are going to be doing it whether the law says they can or can't.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Criminals don't break the law on accident... If they are going to be carrying they are going to be doing it whether the law says they can or can't.

A felon is also not going to be applying for a concealed handgun permit either.

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member

That's where the expression "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" comes from....

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
There is actually a vollie department next to my dept that wears flak vest and pistols attached to there hips...

"They work in a dangerous area"
What training (if any) and what equipment (if any) do they provide to their members? and what protocols (if any) do they have to pull said weapons?

CAO

Forum Lieutenant

But surely they won't carry them into our Gun Free Zones! We have signs and everything!

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
What training (if any) and what equipment (if any) do they provide to their members? and what protocols (if any) do they have to pull said weapons?

Honestly I am not sure they have any training but I am not sure so I am not going to try and guess.

I don't think they have any protocols for that but then again no one is telling them they can't carry either so who is stopping them? Well we don't have a mutual aid agreement with them for that reason and others (that are not important right now.)

phideux

Forum Captain
The GFSZA for both Federal and State have exemptions for transporting firearms through them and exempt private property. In other words, as long as my yard is fenced off from the public, I can carry a rifle or pistol in my yard, even if it's right across the street from a school. And you're right. The Interstate Commerce Clause wasn't intended to allow Congress that much power. In any event, since the 2nd Amendment has been stated to be a Fundamental Right, laws that restrict that right are potentially subject to review under strict scrutiny. The 1000 foot zone that the GFSZA creates an infringement upon someone's 2A right. A couple of lawyers and SME people that I am familiar with are of the opinion that the "zone" of the GFSZA is unconstitutional. Prohibiting firearms upon the actual grounds of the school would continue to be constitutional. Because of some legal strategy, don't expect a challenge to this for a couple years. Other portions of the 2A have to be secured first. (Low hanging fruit)

Here in SC last year we had a law change with regards to schools. If you are the holder of a SC CWP, you can have a weapon in your vehicle on school property now. It was changed for the people with permits picking up children at school, and older students like myself, now I don't have to be defenseless going back and forth to school.

AS far as the original point of this post. You can't carry here while on duty with any of the EMS agencies. With concealed carry permits, hospitals are off limits. So I don't carry while running on the ambulance.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm surprised no one replied with a smart alec type reply like yes we carry heat in the form of hot packs.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm surprised no one replied with a smart alec type reply like yes we carry heat in the form of hot packs.
I think someone actually did, on the first page...

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member

Page 5, post #48:

we carry heat packs in the ambulance. All the heat we need. Leave your gun at home.

When I got my concealed pistol license, I had to attend a NRA approved safety class. Part of that class was education on 'shoot/no shoot situations'. Not all states require this training, but I'm glad I have it.

Another part of this class was demonstrating a proficiency with a firearm. If you weren't able to achieve a minimum score for accuracy, you didn't get your license to carry. At one point I was able to carry in 37 states due to reciprocity. (Unfortunately, that license expired with no way to renew it).

I will be getting licensed in the state I'm in now as soon as possible.

As far as carrying while 'on duty', it's not an option here. That's what we have LAW ENFORCEMENT for!