Do you live where you work?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Or do you commute?

I commute. I don't think I would ever want to work where I lived.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I work as a transporting medic in the County I grew up in. I do not live there any more and commute 45 minutes with no traffic.

I work Fire in an area I have never lived.

Last edited:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I live about ten minutes outside of the city I work for. I used to work part-time for my home town. I had no problems with it, but it's a relatively nice suburb. The two minute drive was rather nice...

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Currently I live in the area I work. Previously I commuted 300 miles, never been to that area before I worked there.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I have about a 30-45min commute depending on traffic....for Fire/EMS I'd almost rather work and live in roughly the same area, help know the area a lot better...I've known guys who live in their service area will get a posting location near their house and just go home rather than sit in the rig for however many hours.....Now if I was LEO I'd rather have a bit of a commute lol

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I commute a half hour to an hour depending on station. It's like being in a whole different world up in the mountains and I love it. However the biggest town is like 8000 so I'm gonna stick to living somewhere a little bigger.

I also work part time for my local AMR op so I can remind myself how lucky I am.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I live in the county where I work, so I am sometimes assigned to the station 2 minutes from my house and sometimes work a 45 minute drive away. I appreciate sleeping in and getting home 5 minutes after my relief arrives at night now that I'm at the closest station, but I also like seeing different areas of the county I don't make it to as often. Working in the county where I live has really helped me learn the area as well.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I commute about 45-50min. I thought about moving to the county, but if I ever need an ambulance I don't want my coworkers showing up. I'd end up trauma naked strapped to a backboard. Probably upside down.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Until recently I had a 2 hour commute and it was hell for me. Now I live about 30 minutes from where I work. Much more time at home with the family and I wouldn't have it any other way

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
FT job is less than ten minutes from my house. PT job is about about 30.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
The stations I'm at now are 5 mins and 15 minutes away. Further out in the county can be an hour.

Moving in August so my commute will probably be between 1 and 2 hours. Only twice a week though so figured I could deal.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Which direction are you moving?

OP
OP
COmedic17

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
My commute is about an hour and 15 minutes. it gives me time to drink my coffee, and wake up before the chaos starts. I like the drive.

Rettsani

Forum Captain
I live in a suburban district of my City, I need 1,5 hours for my way to our Ambulance Station. I have to use a Bus, a Train and a Underground Tram.